1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Units that should be added to Civ IV 2nd expansion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by MisterBarca, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Soneji

Soneji Prince and Great Steward

to be honest I hardly ever produce Axemen or Swordsmen - the other game I had the other day was the first that I had ever produced an axemen! I just find no use for them - archers in city, along with spearmen. Mounted units always take preference with my play style

2. Pounder

Pounder Phaethon was here

3. Menelvagor

Menelvagor Chieftain

There IS quite a lot that is wrong with variety if you push it beyond a certain limit. You must look for a balance between variety and mere confusion. CIV4 is very well balanced as it is. I don't mean it's perfect, but you must think twice before throwing in new features.

4. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

They are NOT eliminating units

The OP was complainging about the fact that

Sword upgrades to Mace
    AND
    Axe upgrades to Mace

They wanted a NEW unit that a Sword would upgrade to.
    That is not needed because a Mace fills the roles of Both a Sword and an Axe

Because by then you can usually roll things of the line with 2 promotions with Vassalage/Theocracy
    so a CR 2 Mace is the upgraded Sword and a
    Shock Mace is the Upgraded Axe

I was saying that As is, it is good, the Mace obsoletes both of them... but it is one 'level/era' higher

(There Could be a reason for replacing both the Sword AND the Axe with one metal unit, given the dominance of the Axe, but that would cut too much variety and it would be better to just beef up the Sword/nerf the Axe.)

5. El Koeno

El Koeno Emperor

An early spy would be cool. One that would not be able to do missions, only observe. BTW: Maybe spies should be able to gain XP too?

6. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

7. Koelle

Koelle King of Kings

Vietcong would be nice

8. Veo

Veo Chieftain

regular bombers & choppers should be able to transport 1 gunpowder unit each...

aircraft's ranges should scale with map size...

other than that I think Civ IV schooled both unit simplicity and variety.

9. Milford

Milford Chieftain

I would love to have a paratrooper unit back in the game. They were great at creating diversions, jumping on resources and if they lasted pillaging said resource. The only way to create a diversion behind enemy lines quickly now is with the choppers. Or even a parachute promotion for marines/infantry/Navy Seals, and skip the unit entirely.
    If the paratrooper isnt possible maybe a transport helo (1 cap) that can drop off marines or infantry behind enemy lines. Of course you could station these helos fully loaded on an aircraft carrier :).

I've got nothing for pre-modern units :p

10. Civistynyt

Civistynyt Chieftain

I would love the idea turn workers to partisans. There should be tech or civic that would allow that.

11. The Thracian

The Thracian Warlord

Axemen > Macemen
    Swordsmen> Men-at-Arms

I was shocked to find the game didn't have the Men-at-arms as a unit. It's a core medieval unit.

12. Mr. Civtastic

Mr. Civtastic Prince

Paratroopers, though nerfed from previous incarnations. Make them weaker or not able to take over cities.

Cruise Missles, or some kind of offensive rocket. Think about how different so many situations would have been without this tech (ww2 and v2, cuban missle crisis, gulf way and iraqi freedom, north korea/iran testings, and the currest israeli/hez rocket tit-a-tat).

A terrorist unit that would have several abilities: Bio/chem attack, suicide bomb, car/package bomb, and with manhattan and lots of money, the suitcase nuke.

Aegis Cruisers that would have a 8 tile range or so to shoot down air units.

Nuclear subs that are stronger then regular subs

Give aircraft carriers a flying unit that only it can use:harrier. Make it able to land in a city and still have one movement

Change the American UU to the most famous military units: Either the minuteman (mutketman) or gi joes (infantry).

Some of the cool ctp units would be great:the slaver, the televangelist (would work great with civ4 religion theme), the lawyer. Give us ways to attack the enemy that wont get us in war (at least not right away)

Make it possible to get a supreme religious figure (like the Pope). You have to have a holy city and then use another great prophet. The spf would increase the desire of his/her subjects to switch the state religion to whatever the spf was. If this was not done, if the civ that had the spf attacked you, there is a % chance that the cities under the religion of the spf wouldnt help you, and even might help the spf! Some kind of holy war. I know, its out there...im just kicking around ideas to make religion matter, since it seems to fade to black in the mid game.

People always say make the sea matter and I agree. Sea units should be able to bombard city units in the same way at air units can.

Change nukes. Make a less powerful atomic bomb with fission that can only be dropped with a bomber (and have a chance to be shot down with certain units), then with rocketry and something else, make them icbms. Lower the success rate of sdi...my friend and i did testing once and saw the computer shoot down 24/27.

I always think its funny how the game ends with all this incredible technology...fusion, stasis chamber, space elevator...and yet their are no "sci-fi" units.

13. Veo

Veo Chieftain

I dont think anyone really wants to "go there" with Sci-fi units. The only game I've enjoyed that went there was XCOM!

I think implementing a Cruiser "Modern/Missile Frigate" type naval unit would be doable, with a bombard range of 2-4. Take away the destroyer's anti-air capability and give it to the cruiser, and give it a 20-something strength but a %50 bonus to air combat.

Has anybody ever read "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy? Naval warfare like that would be pretty amazing.

14. Perfxion

Perfxion Warlord

I would like added:

Knights Templar/Crusader: Can be an upgrade for Swords. Keep the allowing Forts to be built ideal.

Mobile SAM: Like in Civ 3, but can city bombard

Renagades: Land versions of Privateer, cross Culture boarders and can be used to attack cities but can not capture cities.

Privateers: Like in Civ 3

And just more naval ships

15. Phyr_Negator

Phyr_Negator Anti-tolerast

That's foolish. Before implementing whole bunch of units, firaxis better solve existing flaws, like useless explorers/forts and balance issues.

16. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

I was really hoping to see the return of Paratroopers in Warlords...sadly, they weren't there. :rolleyes: It seems like there's a big hole in the WW2 era units without Paratroopers...I mean, just look at D-Day and Market Garden. Easy Company anyone?

Anyway, if they do make a second expansion and Paratroopers are featured, they'd have to come up with a system for them that's different then the ones in Civ III.

17. winddbourne

winddbourne Prince

Lets be honest here, the expansion isn't out yet and if the development team have one working brain cell between them they won't have told us everything we're getting. Two units is ludicrous for an expansion, they could have EASILY given us those already just by using the "CHECK FOR UPDATES" function of the main game.

If I was in their place I'd have included a lot I didn't let leak to these forums so that everyone who buys the game on Monday will be hopping back on here talking about all the neat new units that never got mentioned. It's the easiest way they could stir up a big positive reaction from this crowd.

Beyond that . . . I want better forts and privateers, plus I almost DEMAND more civics be capable of being voted in as "global civics" during the diplomacy end-game.

18. Gam

Gam Chieftain

The privateer was atrocious in Civ3. Combat strength of a trireme, if I remember correctly.

The problem with privateers in Civ games is that they were indeed not powerful units in real life; they were used to prey on merchantmen, not warships! Privateers NEVER attacked warships; that simply wasn't what they were around for, and:

1) they would always lose with the ships they had,
    2) if they had ships good enough to take down warships, then their ships would have to be warships as well, making it pretty obvious that they were in the employ of a major nation, and thus rendering them no longer privateers.

19. alpha wolf 64

alpha wolf 64 Byte me

There's been alot of pirate related documentaries on tv lately, and I'm amazed at how little I knew about them. Some pirate fleets were as large as 17 ships and they not only attacked foreign warships, but captured some of the largest Spanish colonies for the British. There was even a pirate city, altho I cant think of its name off the top of my head. Pirate ships were not a speciafic type but were whatever was the best ship a captain could capture. The Queens Anne's Revenge had 40 guns which made it a match for most warships of the day.

20. winddbourne

winddbourne Prince

Actually it wasn't just "privateers" or "pirates", most naval battles in history were fought by the normal trading ships of the day, not by specially built proffessional navies. Sure such things did exist, but they weren't exactly the rule. Impressing merchants was a common tactic throughout europe for naval battles.

Not to mention that with the additon of valuable sea resources and fishing boat units to exploit them . . . there is definitely a slot for a fast and sneaky sea raider who can disrupt your fishing and run, or at least try to do so.