1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Units you never tend to bother with?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by japheree, Oct 12, 2009.

1. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Airships can help a lot with pounding out city defenders while your SoD is marching in/bombing defenses, and as nothing can take them down before machine guns they have quite a opening. They are also very useful in recon ( especially against subs... by some reason airships can see subs but planes don't :p ) .

P.S I forgot one use: if you lack iron and you need to defend from frigates ( no iron = no frigates for you ) airships + privateers work decently .

2. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

Airships sometimes don't get the love that they, in my opinion, deserve. They give you a relatively cheap aerial unit with excellent long range recon capabilities several techs before Flight. You can use them to weaken defenders ahead of your SoD. They can spot and beat up inbound enemy ships far away from your coast which enables you to gather ships for a defensive counterstrike against opponents that have already had a few HP worn off of them. Once I get Flight one of my first priorities is to build carriers and airships upgraded to fighters allow me to load a full compliment of aircraft to the carriers as soon as they're built.

3. Patak

Patak Warlord

Stupid me, how could I forget the Ironclad. Uterlly uselles unit. Once built one of them and regreat it.

4. japheree

japheree Chieftain

I like the airship, if you get it early enough, as you say, there is absolutely no counter for quite a long time.

To be honest I like anything that means you need to use seige weapons less for the collateral damage so they can be preserved for subsequent city bombardment. In this way I have found the use of multiple airships to attack city defenders to be invaluable.

I think it is also good against ships, although I don't think I have ever been in the situation more than a couple of times where I have had the opportunity to deploy one against and attacking navy.

5. TheLazyHase

TheLazyHase King

Against WOODEN ship. Airship are pitiful against any iron-based naval. Evenn ironclad are too much for airship, except maybe if you pack a lot of them, and by a lot I mean really a lot.

6. japheree

japheree Chieftain

Fair enough, like I say, I have seldom had the opportunity to try.

7. Lord Drake

Lord Drake Paper Tiger

I don't normally build any naval units beyond a transport and battleship... maybe a carrier if it's a really big map. :/
    no idea why though. :/

8. BufordTJustice

BufordTJustice Chieftain

It seems, I am going to give the airship the attention it deserves in my future games!;)

Thanks a lot for the hints! I was always unimpressed with their strength. But obviously spamming some and the fact that there is no counter can do the trick.

EDIT: Did not know about the submarine reckon either. That's a good one! Thanks!

9. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

Ironclads, explorers and crossbows are all rare builds for me.

Airships also make good coastal surveillance units and can give you a turn's warning before a fleet of galleons arrive. That can often be the difference between saving your cities and having to retake them. Moreover, if you have a handful of them, they can weaken the incoming ships so you can clean up without a numerical advantage in ships. (Though I prefer to spy on enemy fleets with caravels in their ports, so I can be waiting with a dozen frigates by the time they get near my shore)

10. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

I keep at least a dozen airships (total) in my coastal cities. Although they won't sink any warship they will wear it down to the point that it's easy pickings for my ships. That makes their recovery time lower if they do take damage.

11. Lord Drake

Lord Drake Paper Tiger

don't they attack your caravels?:confused:

12. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

No. They are waiting to cross my borders to DoW. If I know they're coming, (which I know because I saw the fleet leave its home port) i can bombard them with airships and clean up with frigates/privateers/caravels...and ne'ery a hostile boot shall touch my soil. When it works right.

13. LiquidSwords

LiquidSwords Chieftain

1. Ironclads. Obvious reasons.
    2. Explorers. I think I used them only once. In a terra game.
    3. Musketmen/Curaissers. Rifles are only a tech away. Damn shame too, because Janissaries and Oromo Warriors look like they rock.
    4. Gunships. I can use how they might be useful, but from my experience, they're not as strong as I'd like them to be.
    5. Airships. I just wait for Fighters, but maybe that's not such a good idea.

14. Xellos-_^

Xellos-_^ Prince

you guys are all selling the explorers short. Explorers imo makes great medic, they are fast able to keep up with any unit and since thier power is so low they hardly ever come up in a fight unless your stack is in big trouble. Built them late game in your red corss city and you got a MedicII with 2 movement and bonus movement on hills.

Airships
    Warriors
    Ironsides

are the only units i rarely or never built.

15. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

Warriors made me win the last LHC. I built 50 of them.

Edit: Another use for the warriors is as spawnbusters, as you can see in TMIT's post in the same game.

16. phizuol

phizuol Warlord

US Ironclads did not sit very high above the surface of the water, basically just enough for the cannons. Rough seas would be a big problem with all the water getting in and such.

Ironclads in Civ are amazingly similar to the real deal. They only exist in a pretty small window of time before they are obsolete and are tough to destroy, but are slow and cumbersome attackers. I've used them in situations where an enemy has a few boats and enjoys pillaging your sea resources. Upgrade your existing defender ships to Ironclads and that probably solve the problem until Destroyers come around. They make great defenders until then because it would be pretty difficult to get an Ironclad into a position to attack yours. XD

So yeah, you wouldn't build them normally, but sometimes the opportunity pops up where they can be helpful. Honestly they waste space in the game but they don't hurt anyone I guess.

17. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Units I never/rarely bother to build:
    Warrior (never used warrior rush)
    Scout
    Chariots
    Catapults (rarely I get on the offensive before trebuchet)
    Crossbows (only when I get to it before longbows)
    Explorers
    Galley (only to settle nearby island if I have the time)
    Trireme (only to defend clam, fish, crab against barbs)
    Ship of the line
    Grenadiers and iron clads (NEVER!!!)
    Machine gun
    Airship
    Subs (only attack subs)
    SAM and mobile SAM (I'm doing just fine with jets)
    Fighters (usually AI is no danger in the air until I reached jets)

Gunships (I don't build them I upgrade them from cavalry units that managed to survive all these years :) and get very powerful gunship stack of survivors (about 8-10 units) of level 5-7 usually with multi-attack promotion on them and I have no problems with enemy tank attacks... :crazyeye:

Anti-tanks (because of the survivors :))
    Automatons (they suck!)

Yep, that's pretty much the list...

18. TheEnforcer

TheEnforcer Chieftain

Explorers. What a waste.

19. Countmonte8242

Countmonte8242 Warlord

Cuirassiers have to be my #1 least utilized unit. Usually by the time I can build them I already can build Cavalry and / or infantry. Only time I build many of em is when I play Spain and make a point to get Military Tradition before Rifling.

I also don't build airships in a lot of games because I put off scientific method / physics as long as possible. So when I finally do get physics I already have combustion and flight is just around the corner.

Explorers are a must for Terra maps. Scouts are too weak to explore the new world and you can't load anything else worthwhile on a caravel (for exploration). I've discovered Astronomy from a new world goodie hut- a unit doesn't get any more worthwhile than that. That's like 2 great scientists from one explorer.

Pikemen / Crossbows are a great for medieval wars. If you're not using any in your SoD or for defense, you're simply going to lose more units than you would otherwise.

Ironclads I'll build anytime I'm at war with a substantial overseas power. If you're defending your coasts with them you're going to win more battles than you would with frigates / SotL. Pretty easy to see a benefit for me.

20. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

Horse archers. i usually don't learn horseback riding until way later, at least until knights.
    As for ironclads, at least you don't need to research the ironclads dead-end tech anymore to build such a niche unit. i've used them as an emergency defense force once, but it was because i was caught with my pants down by a whole bunch of roman frigates and they were my only choice.
    Explorers, besides the medic use (which i rarely bother with but acknowledge the usefulness), are worthless. If you're playing a terra or island map, send a spy in your caravel instead, since they can actually pop those goody huts with a warrior sitting on them. if the hut made it until you have optics, it'll last a few more turns while your slow spy trods over to it anyway.