1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Units you would like to see...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Danielos, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

Civ 4 BtS had a healthy number of military units to geek around with. However, the game could need a few more:

I miss the regular Flak unit from Civ 3. SAMs are a relatively recent invention, and there should be some kind of basic air defence before that.

More types of aircrafts (compare Hearts of Iron 2):

* Strategic bombers

* Tactical bombers

* Naval bombers

* Transport plane

* Divebomber

* Interceptor

* Fighter

With the new tactical battlefield, a mountaineer-unit would fit well.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

An hygro pyr (greek fire) unit :)

3. sbrylski06

sbrylski06 Warlord

How about a sniper unit that is invisible like a spy, but can take out or damage one enemy unit with a ranged attack?

4. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

Given that most likely one unit will represent a division or something like that, snipers doesnt make much sense. Unless there gonna be some special commanding units like in Dawn of War, but I doubt that. Nice idea, but can hardly be implemented in the game like Civilization.

What I would like to see is basically more of the same:

* More different planes,
    * More different ships and improved naval combat / ship importance in general

5. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

While not exactly on topic, perhaps it could be represented as a promotion? One that causes enemy units ending their turn next to the the unit to take a small amount of damage?

6. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

You mean like a Fireship? Those were in Rise of Nations, and I would very much like to see them in Civ as well!

7. CivX

CivX Chieftain

I would like to see more animals, if they are even in Civ V anymore..... bears, lions and wolves just aren't enough... I wanna see some tigers in jungles, and crocs in marshes... = )

8. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

and some sharks, a Kraken and a few sea serpents in the ocean! :deal:

9. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

That's way too many air units. Considering air units don't come until very late in the game, I don't think they need to get too specific with them.

10. UKScud

UKScud Warlord

Bear in mind though that there will be all sorts of scenarios that ship with the game. I'd be willing to bet there is a WW2 game, which could be improved by a greater diversity of units.

Having said that, unless the maps are very large (which they might be given what seems like a move towards more tactical combat) I can't see the need for a huge range of units, in anything except the most epic (read long) games...as the march of time makes them obsolite before they see much use.

11. Aquila SPQR

Aquila SPQR Prince

Ancient:

- first primitive ships, something more primitive than Galley
    - war wagons before chariots
    - "praetorian" changed to "legionary"

Medieval:

- mailed knight
    - heavy knight

Modern:

- rocket with biological warhead
    - rocket with chemical warhead
    - invisible units able to detonate nuclear bomb inside oher player's city (like privateer and with 30 or 40% chance of detection)
    - terrorists (but I doubt it - 9/11 is still a fresh wound)
    - UN diplomats (can be build in city with UN wonder - acts like agent but is visible. He can see what units or buildings are produced and if city work on forbidden unit or building (like WMD) it can cancel this production.

And of course plenty of FUTURE UNITS! :D There is only one thing i hate in Civ games - they end in modern times. That's why I play mod that gives me more future techs, units, buildings and wonders.

12. Berba

Berba Warlord

Hmm, a "sniperskytt" as we call it in Sweden deals more then "a small amount of damage", or am I wrong? But a promotion which has something to do with sniper rifles and "sniperskyttar" is a really good idea

13. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

You wouldn't even have to call it a sniper. If an archer can ranged attack, than anything gunpowder should be able to as well. Even on civ scale, some sniper rifles in the 1860's with a well trained marksman was accurate for up to a mile (something like 1, 1/3km i think). Its only gotten better since, so being able to ranged attack with any gunpowder, and do some small damage seems reasonable to me.

Besides just about everything in civ the scale is bad, so something like that is no different than having a city the same size as a cow pasture, or having a battleship take up the same amount of space as a mountain.

14. Berba

Berba Warlord

But if there should be a sort-of sniper promotion in next coming Civ it shouldn't be automatic, like at the end of every turn you do extra damage to your marked target, it would be more like some other promotions, like withdrawal, should be invalid (or how do you say) and the units being potentially damaged by the sniper promotion
    Well i don't know, but there's a lot of small changes things you can do without ruin the whole game-concept

15. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

kinda getting off topic here, but also defender withdrawal and higher withdrawal chances for all units I think would be better, definitely more realistic. With so much decided on luck, it would be nice if at least some of the battles weren't so final... wars would certainly be more engaging.

It just sucks losing like 3 or 4 battles in a row that are 70%+, if a couple units lost, but then retreated, it would take the sting away a bit. Plus that would bring back the importance of the cavalry. In my experience cavalry are just about useless head to head vs riflemen. In civ4 it was SoD vs SoD so riflemen were generally preferred if not for the defensive bonuses, then for the direct bonus vs mounted units.

16. Berba

Berba Warlord

I get your point, maybe rifles shouldn't have bonuses vs units at all? Or at least not bonuses against the health bar (crappy grammar), but I hope you see what i mean. Oh, I'm tired and we're getting off-topic indeed, let's hope the new battle system surprises us!

17. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

Actually these would make much more sense from realism perspective, than the current species of animals in Civ4. Just show me real life bears/wolves/panthers/lions capable to destroy a group of people large enough to start a new city (=settler) or military unit (=warriors). Its plain silly. Adds nothing to gameplay, too.

18. Berba

Berba Warlord

I hope they make the cute settler with four kids hanging around him, and that settlers and workers have hitpoints from now on, like Oh :):):):) an archer.. Well I have my spade and my hammer SMACK! :goodjob:

19. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

I'd like some light cavalry unit. A basic distinction missing in Civ4 is light/heavy cavalry.

I'd also like a Conquistador unit for terra type maps. Instead of an explorer (pretty useless unit in Civ4), a medieval strength light cavalry unit with +100% versus barbarians. These guys should be explorers with teeth. Explorers in Civ4, even in terra maps, get eaten for breakfast by barbs and thus can do nothing.

20. Berba

Berba Warlord

A light cavalry unit, sort of a hussar like in age of empires 3?? That would be cool