1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

unliveable maps

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by pansophy, Nov 2, 2001.

1. pansophy

pansophy Chieftain

Has anyone else noticed maps that are very hard to live with. I've had several maps with so much jungle in them you simply can't find places to put cities, or mountains everywhere.

Do you simply have to live with terrible conditions in Civ3?

2. -proletarian-

-proletarian- Chairman and CEO

Is it just me, or is jungle THE MOST useless piece of terrain ever conceived of? -L- It proviedes both crappy contributions in both food AND shields........anyways, yeah bud, getting a good map is kinda hit-and-miss. sometimes you'll have no resources, other times you'll be up to your neck in iron and horses. (notice the rhyme? ;)) Personally, I like a rather small-sized continent, one which I have all to myself, I can't stand fighting it out with other civs on a huge map, it becomes tiresome.......

3. kamosa

kamosa Chieftain

Actually I've found jungles not as big an challenge as they were in Civ I and II. So far I've founded cities right out in the middle of large jungles and had them thrive. Send in a couple of workers and clear out the jungle and you'll end up with some of the best ground. Two of my three biggest cities so far have been started that way. (PS look for clumps of luxuries in the jungle).

4. -proletarian-

-proletarian- Chairman and CEO

You mean that you can clear out jungle right at the beginning of the game? (thought you needed certain advancements first)

5. kamosa

kamosa Chieftain

If you need certain advancements, they must not be difficult to get, as I was clearing jungle by my fourth or fifth city.

6. Il Mafioso

Il Mafioso Chieftain

Not sure if you need any special tech to clear out the jungles, but I was doing it basically from the beginning (I may have had 1 tech in addition to any freebies).

However, if I remember right, clearing jungle takes a worker 24 turns!!!!!

My number may be off, but I'm pretty sure it's that long. I routinelly toss 3 workers at clearing a jungle.

7. Oz!

Oz! Chieftain

Kamosa is right. The best places to build a city is in a jungle.
    But i would not suggest to be the first city cause it takes some time to clear it.

To clear the jungle with worker use Shift + C (same works to clear polution). :D
    The cool part is after u clear the jungle the nearby city gets 10 or more shields from it towards it construction.
    My city sored very shortly to size 12 as i cleared the jungle in a couple of terms.
    When u clear the jungle u just have a normal green field if it doesn't have any other resourse on it.

Hope this helps :goodjob: