1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unlocking Strategic Resources

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by fayor, May 18, 2020.

1. fayor

fayor Chieftain

Hello, I just downloaded (and playing) Civ3 from Steam. One thing I have noticed is, when I make a scientific advance that unlocks a strategic resource, I don't get it within my area of control. All the other Civs seem to get some of the resources. Thus, I am forced to scramble to find an open resource or attack my neighbors to get it. Is there a patch that fixes this? Note: I did not have the problem when I ran Civ3 off the CD-Roms.
    Thanks

2. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Or trade for it? I've had occasion to gift tech(s) to a neighbor just so they can trade a resource to me, if for some reason attacking was not a viable option. As far as I know, placement of resources is fairly random.

3. tjs282

tjs282 Socially isolated since 1975

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    If you were playing Vanilla Civ3 (16 Civs) off the CD, then you will notice a difference, because in Conquests/Complete (31 Civs: what Steam sells), resources were made about 25% scarcer.

Also should be noted that resource spawn-quantities are related to number of Civs placed on the map at game-start. So if you've been playing Tiny/Small maps, and/or setting some opponent-slots to 'None', you will get fewer resources in total.

There is no 'patch' to fix this as such (because it is deliberately hardcoded, not a bug), but if you want to make some/all resources more abundant, the Editor allows you to mod this very easily: under the 'Resources' tab, select the resource, and increase the 'Appearance ratio' to whatever you feel is appropriate.

WeirdoJoker likes this.