Unoffical Civ VI poll. Vote for your 3 civs you would most like to see. Part I : Western Europe

[Please read the description before voting] Which 3 civlizations would you like to see in game ?

• Al-Andalus

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Austria

Votes: 40 27.0%
  • Belgium

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • the Celts

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • One celtic tribe in particular

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Denmark

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Finland

• the Franks

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • the Goths

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • Ireland

• Italy

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • One italian CS

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • Malta

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • the Papal States

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Portugal

Votes: 78 52.7%
  • Sweden

Votes: 49 33.1%
  • Switzerland

Votes: 30 20.3%
  • Wales

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Liufeng

A man of his time
Welcome back everyone, here is the great poll about which are the 3 most wanted civs in Civilization VI, this part being focused on western Europe. Before voting, please the little introduction on the joint PDF about each Civilization presented in the poll, for it can give a small view on each candidate.
Remember this poll is not official, but can give an indication on the will of the various forum members. So please go ahead, and vote for your favorite civs (or the ones that must be in the game for you). Also, you can only vote for three civs, not more. Next week, we'll go to the other side of Europe !

Thank you everyone,

Best regards !

Attachments

• Western Europe Info.pdf
    76.2 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Voted:

Italy, really the Lombard or Italic league based on the northern Italian city states.
Portugal
Sweden

Just a note on your pdf. The Normans also conquered Sicily and Southern Italy.

I voted:
Austria
Italy
Sweden
Honorable mention to Portugal who I know we will probably eventually get anyway.

I voted for the Goths, Italy, and Portugal. I'm surprised to see Sweden is as popular as Portugal. I have no preference for which second Scandinavian country gets in. It would be nice to see a classical version of the Celts/or the Gauls in Civ6.

Sweden or Denmark and Ireland.

They've already done Scotland, so it's clear that Firaxis isn't interested in the blob approach to the Celts. Just give us Ireland already, it would be fun. Putting Imperial Sweden in Civ 5 was a really neat move and I'd like to see it done again. Maybe under Gustav Vasa this time if they want to shake things up, although I think Gustavus Adolphus on his own is a good enough pick. Everyone knows the others (Portugal, ect) will be picked.

Sweden is popular because they had a period of dominance after the vkings. So you get a Nordic military power outside of the viking cliche.

I guess you could add Finland to that but their UU would be Samo Hayha or Detachment Torni.

Austria, the Franks, Sweden

I typically favor ANY civilization/nation/state being added because I believe all are worthy, but these are my three favorites from the selection provided.

The Franks, however, I would only wish to see under Charlemagne and therefore be flavored to that specific period as far all their 'uniques' are concerned and it should rightly be called the Holy Roman Empire.

I generally don't care for the broader mish-mash of including certain 'peoples' into some synthetic conglomeration. There were Celtic and Gothic kingdoms that could easily stand on their own without being lumped as the "Celts' or 'Goths'.

I would like to see the Sweden of Gustavus, but would be very interested to see the Sweden of the 20th century. It could pair well with Switzerland.

Poor Wales......:cry:

Sweden has one more vote than Portugal, though that might change soon.....
The most popular Civs are Sweden and Portugal, trailed behind by Italy.

Poor Wales......:cry:

Sweden has one more vote than Portugal, though that might change soon.....
The most popular Civs are Sweden and Portugal, trailed behind by Italy.
I guess Malta doesn't count.
Wales would be interesting though Ireland would be preferable if we got another British Isle Civ. And even then we have Scotland right now so not many want to "Britishize" the game.

Gauls
Austria
The Goths

Though I don't really consider the Goths, Austria, Malta, Finland, or Sweden "Western Europe." :p

Though I don't really consider the Goths, Austria, Malta, Finland, or Sweden "Western Europe." :p

Traditionally, I would agree with you and I personally always considered the Baltic States (Finland, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia) as a distinct region all their own. However, I think that has changed in recent years and Western Europe is a much broader region than the days of the Cold War.

I think it is more cultural/language based with a few exceptions. German and Romance root languages and cultures are considered Western Europe while everything else is Eastern Europe ie Slavic, Greek, Baltic, etc root based languages and cultures.

So you get odd things like Czech Republic being considered Eastern while Austria is considered Western even though they are pretty much in the same area of Europe. Romania is considered Eastern even though Romanian is a Romance language.

Traditionally, I would agree with you and I personally always considered the Baltic States (Finland, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia) as a distinct region all their own. However, I think that has changed in recent years and Western Europe is a much broader region than the days of the Cold War.
Well, I was just saying in terms of geography... :p

I think it is more cultural/language based with a few exceptions. German and Romance root languages and cultures are considered Western Europe while everything else is Eastern Europe ie Slavic, Greek, Baltic, etc root based languages and cultures.

So you get odd things like Czech Republic being considered Eastern while Austria is considered Western even though they are pretty much in the same area of Europe. Romania is considered Eastern even though Romanian is a Romance language.
That still excludes some of these. The Goths spoke an Eastern Germanic language and probably originated in Poland. Malta speaks Maltese, a Semitic language--does that make them Asian? :p The Finns speak a Uralic language, most of which are spoken in Siberia, so does that make them (and Hungary) Siberian? :p (Of course, the Finns are sort of a different case, because genetically the Finns are Indo-Europeans speaking a Uralic language.)

But yeah, I don't really mind seeing Central and Northern Europe folded into Western Europe, but some of these civs (like Malta and the Goths) I would definitely call Eastern European, which I'm guessing will get its own poll...

But yeah, I don't really mind seeing Central and Northern Europe folded into Western Europe, but some of these civs (like Malta and the Goths) I would definitely call Eastern European, which I'm guessing will get its own poll...

The Goths are a difficult case because they spread so far throughout Europe. From the Black Sea, to the Italian peninsula to Iberia and North Africa. From a cultural perspective, I feel they existed just about the time the idea of a "Western Europe" was being barely contemplated, let alone defined. Unless one counts East/West division of the Roman Empire and subsequent schism in Christianity.

The Goths are a difficult case because they spread so far throughout Europe. From the Black Sea, to the Italian peninsula to Iberia and North Africa. From a cultural perspective, I feel they existed just about the time the idea of a "Western Europe" was being barely contemplated, let alone defined. Unless one counts East/West division of the Roman Empire and subsequent schism in Christianity.
Actually, I'd say in that time frame defining Eastern Europe is very simple albeit conflicted. The first definition would be anywhere in Europe that's not Rome (minus Caledonia and Hibernia, which I think we can call Western Europe despite being non-Roman). The second definition would be anywhere controlled by the Eastern Roman Empire plus the barbarian lands to the north and east of them. By either definition, the Goths come from the East, even if they later established kingdoms in Italy, Gaul, Iberia, and North Africa.

Portugal, Gaul (or I guess maybe Ireland could also technically fit under "specific Celts," since I didn't actually see the option until after I voted), and either Sicily or Venice.

Last edited:
That still excludes some of these. The Goths spoke an Eastern Germanic language and probably originated in Poland.

I believe all the eastern German based languages are extinct with western based German and its various descendants still around.

Malta speaks Maltese, a Semitic language--does that make them Asian?

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Maltese a creole of Arabic with a whole bunch of different languages from around the Med?

:p The Finns speak a Uralic language, most of which are spoken in Siberia, so does that make them (and Hungary) Siberian? :p (Of course, the Finns are sort of a different case, because genetically the Finns are Indo-Europeans speaking a Uralic language.)

Exception due to Scandinavia being considered Western. Finland has as much history with Sweden as with Russia.

It is a hard distinction due to no real good geographical boundaries between cultures like the Andes or the Himalayas. Even the Alps have their own distinct culture among the people in Italy, Switzerland, France, Germany, and Austria.

Well, this dividing of Europe only into Western and East isnť geographical but purely political. It was created shortly after WWII (Eastern Europe was basically Eatern block) so it isn't good to use it with historical states. F.e. my country Czech republic was considered easter most part of Western Europe for several hundreds years yet now we are generally called Eastern European.

Top Bottom