Unofficial Big Map Testing

Have you tried it? I don't know if the bug applies to the 3000 BC scenario as well. I'll check. (Update: Nope, doesn't happen in the 3000 BC scenario)

Last edited:
I would really like to test the new big map, but sadly did not get it to work until now.:undecide:

Would be really nice if somebody could help me in this.

This is what I did so far:

RFC DoC - Tortoise git - settings - remote - add url (https://github.com/bnxkpc/Dawn-of-Civilization.git) - add new/save - fetch remote branches when asked - switch to new branch

Then start DoC, game starts but still with the old small map?

Where is the mistake?:crazyeye:

Switch to map branch

Monarch, Moors - La Mezquita built by Arabs in 808 AD. That's 12 turns after my start :) This is somehow prevented in the old map (I played it in Emperor).
Anyway, the start looks pretty interesting. I am not sure if Marrakesh should be so poor though - size 1 and no granary when a settler gives you size 3 and granary. But I am too asleep now to switch branches and check the old one.

There are a number of resources missing.

West Africa should have at least one rice resource owing to it being a place where rice was independently domesticated, and even to this day plays a large part in cuisine of a number of peoples. Around 60, 37 makes sense as it was domesticated in the Inner Niger Delta

The US needs an oil resource by Los Angeles, this is approximately 8,52 on the map, historically this area was a major global oil producer

Detroit needs a river at 25, 58 flowing east, while the Detroit river isn't a major river, it allows the cities to have levees, and that area has historically been a massive industrial area.

Newfoundland needs a fish to represent the Grand Banks Fishery at 41, 61

Hispaniola needs a sugar at 32, 43

Angola needs a coastal oil

South Africa, Rare earth at 72, 14 representing Steenkampskraal mine

In the early 1800s when the new resources spawn in New Zealand and California, they spawn in the wrong location. I think this is a leftover from the original map. Also the floodplain in California spawns in the wrong spot.

Attachments

• ghg.png
    ghg.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 240
  • ghg2.png
    ghg2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 238
How is Medieval Era tech speed faring in the original map? I've already forgotten. Civs advance to the Renaissance too early, but usually slow down in the 1700s. Or not???? I'm not sure if the frequency of the human tech trading with the AI would also matter. In my observations, many civs can get to 100+ :science:/turn if they focus on commerce and science (buildings, civics, trade, etc.). For those with average tech modifiers, they can research Medieval techs on Epic in around 5-7 turns. Maybe you can play late into the game and observe if the tech speed is still too fast.

About weird territories, I really hope it's the game speed. I've also had my fair share of those weird scenes, like Spanish Scandinavia, Holy Roman Mesopotamia, Iranian Romania. :lol:
About my game, I've traded just a tech with Bizzys few turns before their collapse. In comparison with previous map, I believe that Turks above all are stronger; maybe it's because of their bigger core which gives them more stability.

Sorry, didn't see that part. Just make the name of your local branch distinct. And make sure you switched to the map branch. Check the commit logs to make sure you're on the right branch

Monarch, Moors - La Mezquita built by Arabs in 808 AD. That's 12 turns after my start :) This is somehow prevented in the old map (I played it in Emperor).

What do you mean "somehow prevented?" I can't find existing code preventing Arabia from building it. It's the balance, most probably--they also build a bunch of other Muslim wonders early.

My last commit is from a few days ago. Do a fetch again, and rebase the local branch to the remote. The local branch should fast-forward to the remote.

Thanks for your efforts, hospitall3rz.

Sadly it still does not work. So one last question before I give up trying this the more elegant way and not just cloning.

When I create a new branch on what should it exactly be based on? One of the remote/xxx/xxx path or develop or...?

What do you mean "somehow prevented?" I can't find existing code preventing Arabia from building it. It's the balance, most probably--they also build a bunch of other Muslim wonders early.

I remembered this git update:
- prevented AI from building La Mezquita before the Moors spawn

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/git-update-log.558801/page-16#post-14964649

But I see it is valid "before the Moors spawn". Hmm.... perhaps they managed to build it in those 12 turns. I am not at that computer to check it now.
Anyway, it might be more related to the general higher research speed (plus Arabs probably have more cities and hammers in them to build it with). Just saying that i didn't have any problem with La Mezquita in the old map (after that update), trying to find the best strategy with Moors several times.

Have you tried it? I don't know if the bug applies to the 3000 BC scenario as well. I'll check. (Update: Nope, doesn't happen in the 3000 BC scenario)

Yes, It's correct - if Human control Arabs!
BUT if it's AI - they wouldnot have Mecca (only Medina) and that is why - there is no holy city of ISLAM on the Map
Also there is a screen from Russian Start - using WB I've found that there is no holu city:)

Attachments

• Arabian Start.jpg
    Arabian Start.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 202
I remembered this git update:
- prevented AI from building La Mezquita before the Moors spawn

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/git-update-log.558801/page-16#post-14964649

But I see it is valid "before the Moors spawn". Hmm.... perhaps they managed to build it in those 12 turns. I am not at that computer to check it now.
Anyway, it might be more related to the general higher research speed (plus Arabs probably have more cities and hammers in them to build it with). Just saying that i didn't have any problem with La Mezquita in the old map (after that update), trying to find the best strategy with Moors several times.
I can confirm that other civs cannot build La Mezquita before the Moorish spawn. I can also confirm that even in DoC Arabia is able to build it before the human even has a chance.

3) Noticed around 1400 that I hadn't heard from the Ottomans. Opened up WB and found them stuck in Konya. No flips occurred and they were training Archers. Opened up WB tech screen and found them with about the same techs as the Aztecs.

Played as Ottomans to test, this time on Normal speed starting in 600 AD. Everything fine. Wierd?

Two small items (phew!):
Corn and Tobacco spawn coords near Constantinople (not Istanbul! muhaha) need to be updated for big map.

Last edited:
Yes, It's correct - if Human control Arabs!
BUT if it's AI - they wouldnot have Mecca (only Medina) and that is why - there is no holy city of ISLAM on the Map
Also there is a screen from Russian Start - using WB I've found that there is no holu city:)

Ah right, I removed indie Mecca spawn, forgot to put it back. Oops!

Commit: Tweaked some modifiers.
  • Inflation rate: Tamils, Korea, Arabia, France, Egypt (respawn), HRE
  • Civic upkeep & research cost: Russia
  • Unit and building cost: Egypt (respawn)
Also readded the missing indie Mecca spawn.

Last edited:
Played as Maya from 3000BC, this time with full logging enabled. Recreated the failed Ottoman start a few times.

From PythonErr:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "BugEventManager", line 400, in _handleDefaultEvent
File "CvRFCEventHandler", line 723, in onBeginGameTurn
File "RiseAndFall", line 770, in checkTurn
File "RiseAndFall", line 1283, in initBirth
File "RiseAndFall", line 1536, in birthInCapital
File "RiseAndFall", line 2648, in createStartingUnits
NameError: global name 'Civ' is not defined

Top Bottom