Unofficial BTS 3.13 patch

True. Would it be possible for Firaxis to promote this player-made core-fix to their official download site, perhaps packed in a standard installer (for those who don't know how to copy files to a certain directory).

Has anyone proposed this to Firaxis? :confused:
I think that would be an excellent idea for Solver and Bhruic to approach them together.

Wodan

A watermill without any improving techs produces one hammer, while the tile would lose one hammer in production from clearing the forest. Thus building (unimproved) watermill in forest results in no change in production.

Ahhhhh, that makes -perfect- sense. Thank you!

Vassals can no longer be their Master's worst enemy

what's the reasoning behind this change? the idea of vassals has always been that they can get so unhappy with you to the point of trying to break free and having a war.

also, what is the versioning system and how does it work? i checked and it appears there is a new patch but I'm not sure based on version number, it seems to have skipped numbers or something? thanks

what's the reasoning behind this change? the idea of vassals has always been that they can get so unhappy with you to the point of trying to break free and having a war.

Er, ok, but what does that have to do with the change? If the AI vassalizes another Civ, that Civ should no longer be considered the "worst enemy" of the first Civ. Why would your vassal ever be your worst enemy?

also, what is the versioning system and how does it work? i checked and it appears there is a new patch but I'm not sure based on version number, it seems to have skipped numbers or something? thanks

The higher the version number, the newer the release is.

Bh

Vassals can no longer be their Master's worst enemy

I think what Bhruic is saying that is the Master still can be the Vassal's worst enemy but it doesn't make sense vice versa.

True. Would it be possible for Firaxis to promote this player-made core-fix to their official download site, perhaps packed in a standard installer (for those who don't know how to copy files to a certain directory).

Inspired by this post, I took the liberty to whip together a simple installer for the patch as an interim solution until something official appears. This should make it easier for people that have trouble copying the files per hand to enjoy Bhruics excellent work. :)

You can get it from *removed, see for updated version below*.

Just extract the installer from the zip and doubleclick it. The installer comes with separate options for the dll, the supplementary fixes and the glance tab. You can also choose to backup the original files beforehand. Check if the correct path is displayed, if not, point it to the BtS' main folder.

(If there's interest, I'll update the installer for future versions of Bhruic's patch.)

I am going to get BTS soon. Could someone tell me; does this unofficial patch fix pretty much everything wrong with single player, or are there outstanding annoyances?

Thanks,

-DaHa

Got a hang with the 1.101 DLL that I don't get when I put back the 1.09 DLL. Save attached. Press Enter to duplicate. Note: I'm using the BUG mod and the Blue Marble textures. This hang happened in the Industrial Age. I waited minutes before I killed the process; I can't verify that it's an infinite loop (just couldn't wait that long).

Attachments

• Quagga AD-1818.CivBeyondSwordSave
    645.2 KB · Views: 60
It's not an infinite loop, as it'll eventually end, but it is a stuck unit. One of Charlemagne's workers is having "issues". The dumb thing is that it's currently sitting in a city, so it should be content to "wait it out" in there, but it's trying to move to do something useful, and Shaka has too many units in the immediate vicinity for it to successfully get away.

I'll see if I can get it to behave itself a little better.

Bh

You have to play with other people using this unofficial patch though, otherwise you and everyone else get a warning that you have different game files.

This is the first time I've encountered this, either pre 3.13 or after, or since using this patch. I'm currently in the modern age and in a defensive pact w/ saladin. We've already fought 3 wars w/ alexander and his vassals. I have a Great Spy stationed in one of his port cities, to spy his stack of transports to see if he's loading up for an amphib assault. Next turn, he declares war against saladin, triggering war w/ me- and my Great Spy is booted out of greece, to my closest city!!:( i'd provide a save, but i'm at work. can do later this evening, tho. I am using v1.101

<snip>

No, of course not, I obviously work for Quicksilver.

I don't work for Quicksilver, that's an "in joke" for the people who followed my Master of Orion 3 patching ;)

Bh

AH HA!!! We Knew IT all along! :mischief: :lol: :high5:

JosEPh

MoO 3... *shudder* You do great work patching here, Bhruic, but to hear you actually had the guts to try to fix MoO 3... wow at just figuring out where to start ;)

With Bhruic's Patcher and Patches for MoO3 I don't believe you would "Shudder" at playing it anymore.

If Bh continues his work/passion here you will all be pleased. We who stayed with MoO3 have been.

I have the utmost respect for Bhruic's abilities. And believe me they Were tested. Along with his patience. :lol:

JosEPh

:stupid:

But let's be generous, and round it to 7000. I can't help but believe that's an incredibly small fraction of the people using 3.13.

Sounds like the numbers are close...I wonder if the ppl that are using just 3.13 are using it this way just to play MP...Other than this I found 3.13 without BHruic patch not too much fun to play, although playable.

Er, ok, but what does that have to do with the change? If the AI vassalizes another Civ, that Civ should no longer be considered the "worst enemy" of the first Civ. Why would your vassal ever be your worst enemy?

The higher the version number, the newer the release is.

Bh

Hi

I think it depends on the reason why they were vassalized. If they are friendly and offer to be a vassal for protection then yeah they wouldnt be and that wouldnt be an issue I dont think.

BUT if you have just been kicking the you know what out of them and they capitulate just to keep from being wiped out then OF COURSE that vassal is gonna be your worst enemy. I mean who would they hate MORE than the civ that not only has been taking their territory, raising/capturing their cites and has now just took away their freedom? And why wouldn't they want to break free the FIRST chance they get?

Now if maybe during course of game one civ been enemies for so long and has gotten TONS of negative dpilo hits with each other that they hate that civ most even after you take em over. OK thats one thing but autmatically "forcing" it doesnt make much sense to me :/.

I am not sure why you did it. I *think* maybe it is to avoid getting the "we refuse to trade with you our worst enemy" for demanding techs or maps or something. But you can already demand resources and their being vassals now prevent them from doing spy missions on you plus you get all the other benefits of having vassal that it seems like their should be some kind of negative for having a vassal who really doesnt like you and only submitted in order to keep you from wiping them out. And having them not willing to rade maps or techs seems to be ok.

And if this change suddenly makes it LESS unlikely that the vassal will take the opportunity to break free as soon as the meet the conditions to break away then it seems like this would be changing the game balance very much. Since it would allow you to keep vassals artificially that within game play you really shouldnt be able to keep.

Anyways thats just my opinion. I hope I am not sounding mean.

Kaytie

PS

I am kinda glad this spefici topic came up because in my current game I am having vassals break free even when they DONT meet the conditions. It is like I have a vassal who just capitulated and then 5 turns later I vassalize another civ and my first vassal who only captulated 5 turns ago announces they have broken free even though they are nowhere near the conditions to break free. So it is like the game is only allowing one vassal. I am wondering if this might be something related to nay changes made in how the vassals act--like in forcing them to change attitude somehow made attitional unintended changes?

Top Bottom