Unofficial Pre-game Discussion - TSG 82

pvtjava

The Grey Cat
This one looks interesting. Raging Barbs should be synergy with the extra sight. No real victory specific unique bonuses, either.

Thanks to have open this thread.

Raging barbs and Prince mean for me, I have to settle carefully my cities. AI will not be a problem for warfare, so I'll need to build army only for barbs and when I'll reach modern era have to deal with barbs infantry. It's annoying to let a spot where barbs camps spawn. So, I hope extra sight and cheap buying tiles will help me against this bloody barbs.

We are given a second half civ, trying to win science in first half. How to proceed?

Raging barbs are little threat to human. They will severely hamper the Ai. Expect multiple citizen rescues from CS and AI civs. Raging barbs will allow you to select choice spots with less worry that AI will take.

Thanks to have open this thread.

Raging barbs and Prince mean for me, I have to settle carefully my cities. AI will not be a problem for warfare, so I'll need to build army only for barbs and when I'll reach modern era have to deal with barbs infantry. It's annoying to let a spot where barbs camps spawn. So, I hope extra sight and cheap buying tiles will help me against this bloody barbs.

Hey, no problem on opening the thread. I'm glad I thought of it.:) Buying tiles could be a double-edged sword if its too far out too early with all the barbs raging around.

We are given a second half civ, trying to win science in first half. How to proceed?

Raging barbs are little threat to human. They will severely hamper the Ai. Expect multiple citizen rescues from CS and AI civs. Raging barbs will allow you to select choice spots with less worry that AI will take.

This is why I wanted to open this thread. Two completely different takes in the first two responses. And I kind of agree with both. The barbs could be a problem if you're not paying attention to defending your best tiles, post improvement. I play Prince a lot and I've had regular games (not raging) where three might come near from different directions. It's sort of coincidental when they're not raging, but it does happen. Also, there's not going to be a lot of help from the AI in clearing them, but as you say, that will lead to more CS alliances.

As far as how to proceed, your guess is better than mine. I'm not really experienced at Science victory and I haven't played America since BNW came out. I'll probably roll a few starts to get some practice.

Something else to watch out for: The combination of difficulty level and barbarian interference could mean that other civs have little gold for trading. Also, caravans have a high risk of being raided. So I think working gold tiles becomes a somewhat higher priority than usual.

My gold is going to come from being a cs bully boy, safe in the knowledge that I'll be able to make it up with them by clearing barbs down the line.

2 or 3 warriors enough on prince to steal their pocket money.

Apart from that settle mountains as much as poss and as long as you protect the caravans between your cities, barbs work in your favour.

My gold is going to come from being a cs bully boy, safe in the knowledge that I'll be able to make it up with them by clearing barbs down the line.

I played a test game with the GOTM82 settings. My starting warrior stumbled over some ancient ruins in the second turn and he turned to spearman. Then he waded through city state territory to avoid some jungle. The city state turned afraid and I was able to extort 50 gold. That was about turn 6. So just the starting warrior is enough to be a bully :D

I have zero experience in a competitive SV appart from the few things I've gathered here & there.

I was just guessing that the overflow bug would be banned in this kind of competition? (if this "bug" still exist).

I also foresee very close competition at the very top, since it's one if not the most practiced victory condition.

I feel like taking the honor opener is a must, not only for the culture, but just managing those pesky guys so you know which CS's you can pump up and caravan protection. With Prince, there isn't much help that caravaning with other Civ's will give on science. Religion is also a must. Anywhere you can get those beakers. Wonderwhoring, here I come!

Honor is not needed. Prince might even still give the player a bonus vs barbs. By 120 to 140 the barb portion of the game will be over.

I'm trying to decide which trees to pick before Rationalism. Tradition/Liberty or Tradition/Commerce.

I guess it depends on the land they give us.

If you go Tradition/Liberty, which of the two would you start with? I have generally gone Liberty and then the worker sub-pol (I can't bother to memorize those names), so I can devote production to monument and granary to start.

But maybe there is a better idea than that?

dV

...so I can devote production to monument and granary to start.

i think if you choose to open like that you'll quickly become overrun by barbs and find yourself doing a lot of scrambling without much of the map explored..

i'll open up with 2 scouts while researching archery.. then make a couple of archers to begin with (you'll likely find a culture ruin or even pottery ruin thanks to UA).. tribute from CSs will pay for granary..

i'll probably open with tradition, free monument to help expand borders, honor opener, then push through tradition with barb and CS culture.. i just cant see capitalizing on the benefits of liberty with barbs all over the place..

the AI will be way worse off with zero gold to trade and very sub par capitals.. great library will probably still be available after turn 50 maybe even 60..

of course it all depends on the map layout.

i think if you choose to open like that you'll quickly become overrun by barbs and find yourself doing a lot of scrambling without much of the map explored
You make a good point, if the barbs will be raging as much as you suggest. I will have to try a game start or two with these settings to see how bad it will be.

dV

Honor is not needed. Prince might even still give the player a bonus vs barbs. By 120 to 140 the barb portion of the game will be over.

I'm trying to decide which trees to pick before Rationalism. Tradition/Liberty or Tradition/Commerce.

Based on a test game, I would say that opening honor is essential. It is perfect for this type of game. You really get a lot of extra culture, 7 or 8 culture per kill. It is not uncommon to have multiple barbarian kills per turn. So opening honor means some extra quick policies in Liberty or Tradition. Besides that, it gives a lot of other nice effects: more promotions, more free workers (liberated from camps), better city state relations, easier exploration of the map.

I do think the rest of the honor tree can be ignored.

I truly wonder about the low difficulty of gotm

king,emperor,prince in last 3?
Shouldnt there be at least 1 higher lvl game?

I d even enjoy a chieftain or settler game more as this endless flow of king+- lvl games

I'm not a Deity player (Immortal is my successful challenge level), but I agree with tommynt about the GOTM difficulty levels. I would prefer more challenges or more crazy settings. (Though still gj GOTM team, thanks for all the work!)

I truly wonder about the low difficulty of gotm

king,emperor,prince in last 3?
Shouldnt there be at least 1 higher lvl game?

I d even enjoy a chieftain or settler game more as this endless flow of king+- lvl games
Let's see, the recent games have been:
TSG79 will be France - Immortal - Culture - No Ruins.
TSG 80: Siam - Diplomacy VC - King Difficulty - OCC setting is enabled
TSG 81 - Songhai - Emperor - Domination VC
TSG82 - America - Prince - Science - Pangea - Raging Barbarians

We have been doing games for a very long time in which we alternate Emperor and above on the first of the month with King and below at the mid-month. Can we please have our facts straight before we criticize?

alternate Emperor and above

its just that emperor feels much more like prince as like deity - even when both are 2 steps away.
I do think that thats not just my "elitist" opinion, but a fact.

And as said, why no throw in a settler science challenge or something like that.
Or some "crazzy" challenge, time victory or fill all sp trees while winning or get a 10 promo unit or whatever ..

Top Bottom