Unofficial Reminder

Discussion in 'Model Parliament' started by h4ppy, Jul 18, 2007.

1. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

As a "new" nation we don't start with everything. For example, we aren't currently members of any international organizations. You can't just go around saying that we are members of the UN or that we have a huge navy, that is to be decided by the whole parliament in a vote. (or by the GMs)

2. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

I am practically begging for a gameworld, the genesis of all this, before we go on. I do not feel like making a paper constitution with no backdrop at all but a map, some locations and some people, that is too thin. Again, I just gave a shot at adding some color, and here we go.

3. Lockesdonkey

Lockesdonkey Liberal Jihadist

There's no reason for us not to be members of the United Nations. We are an independent country, and we're (presumably) a democracy (the Holy See, the only state that isn't in the UN, justifies its non-membership on the grounds that the UN's democratic ideals are incompatible with the absolute rule of the Pope in the Vatican, as the Vatican actually cares about doing what it believes). I think that UN membership should be assumed unless we decide otherwise (a decision I would regard as stupid).

4. h4ppy

Every other time we had this game we quickly voted on UN membership, if we are a new nation, for example, we would not be members.

5. Canuck3

Canuck3 Pastafarian

Now were do we start in already having laws? Due to we are a new nation we therefore have no laws so really we have anarchy, is this true?

6. mangxema

mangxema I

I'd say there are regional/city laws, but no national ones. I think it would be reasonable to assume that the various areas would punish murderers, for example.

7. h4ppy

I think thats covered under whichever legal code our country uses. (English Common Law, Napoleonic Code, etc.)

8. Lockesdonkey

Lockesdonkey Liberal Jihadist

OK, then agenda:

1. UN membership. I think that we should default to membership...anything else makes no sense.

2. Type of legal code: Do we take the Code Civil or the common law? Given the overwhelmingly Anglophone population, I'd be inclined to say the latter (I'm partial to it myself).

9. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

I would say, let the separate provinces figure out provincial laws, then we make the constitution.

10. h4ppy

Unless we are a newly independent nation, then we would have to join up, we wouldn't get there automatically.