Unofficially Official Git Balance Discussion Thread

Paragon is possible. I won on turn 80. It requires that both nearby goody huts yield gold (around 80 total should be enough)

This is an emperor/normal 3000 BC French game. I started with Orthodoxy so I built Hagia Sophia in Milan. Stayed manorilism/meritocracy/monasticism in most of the game. You really need +commerce from watermill.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0070.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0070.JPG
    511.6 KB · Views: 114
Somethingmight be changed about the Moors. Acquirng 5 Great People of the desired kind before 1300 is way too hard, specifically if the Arabs build all the nice wonders. If you managed to get that Mosque earlier, it would be easier. Suggestion: make Noria produce +1 shield per rivered square, and maybe make it cheaper to build. This way we get our production up earlier, makes it more likely to get one of those wonders (preferable Mezquita) and later on to build more Corsairs. Opinions?

Moors can hardly get marble early with current culture rule, unless you take Rome. Arabs will likely to build it before you. Either move tech or move marble. Another solution: conquer Athens, take the Parthenon and switch to constitution.

Isn't there marble in North Africa somewhere?

There's marble to the south of Wahran, can get it quickly by building Wahran on the Dye resource. Still not really enough time to get that wonder. Conquering Athens is a fun idea, question is how gamey should UHV goals be. Not saying they should be 'easy', but they shouldn't depend on coincidence (Arabs collapsed soon, phew!) or completely out there strategies (lol you can ship your units to Beijing and build a time machine).

Another way is to conquer Alexandria. If lucky enough, they'll have only archers for defense. Great Lighthouse + Great Library provides GP really fast, with another GP city, we can get 5 GP on time and forget about La Mezquita. Just build army, let Arabs build it and take it from Seljuks. In this way, we have to fight on 2 frontlines at the same time, one is Iberia, one is near East. Maybe that means 3 settlers to build with 3 cities in West Africa, instead of conquer Mali.

So it seems the optimum 3 settler strategy for a China start at 1S2E Luoyang is currently to go Worker (wheat, wheat, pig), Build whatever, wait till 3 pop, Settler, Settler. This allows you to get out 3 settlers (including starting settler) as soon as possible whilst also letting you get as many hammers on other builds as possible. Also perfectly times the custom build being archer.

Essentially the lowest turn time you can get the third settler out is turn 38, and while there is a difference on when the second city gets out, I think the extra archer for military protection happiness may outweigh the few extra turns. I forget what the second settler times are though. Either way, just wanted to put this out there, that you can't get a third settler as China before turn 38 in all of my worker first tests. Could be good for assembling runs.

Edit: Okay, looking further into it, it seems the earliest you can get the second settler out is turn 30 by growing to 2 pop and then settler settler, so it seems the strategy is unchanged from 1.14.

Last edited:
About China, it's better to build your first settler at 2 pop. Shanghai can share pig&deer with Luoyang. No need archer, militia can do.

Found - grant indy - raze Mandalay on gold rainforest hilll, then found another city near it to get early gold.

About China, it's better to build your first settler at 2 pop. Shanghai can share pig&deer with Luoyang. No need archer, militia can do.

Found - grant indy - raze Mandalay on gold rainforest hilll, then found another city near it to get early gold.

Yeah I found the 2 pop thing out about 30 minutes after I posted it, as can be seen on my edit.

So should I build Rome's Capital on Roma or Arretium? Arretium gives access to wheat and stone whilst Roma only gives the Sheep. Arretium also serves as a second passage through Italy, the first being Pompeii to the south, and while it doesn't have the hill it settles on for the development of a mine, Arretium would be getting production from the stone and defense from the settled hill. Finally, it takes an extra turn to found, so that also adds to my confusion as to which would be better.

Somethingmight be changed about the Moors. Acquirng 5 Great People of the desired kind before 1300 is way too hard

It's because La Mezquita used to provide one great person upon completion. It's been quite a while since the wonder overhaul, which suggests no one cares to play Moors.

They are easier ways all the time. Anyway Moors UHV can still be won, it's just harder than before.

Does anyone build workshops on the current build, and if so, when? I'm finding between the strength and availability of lumbermills/watermills and the very late point at which technologies increase workshop yields I haven't built them a single time since the tech tree changes. Doesn't help that they have unhealth when worked and power is already such a huge source of unhealthiness.

I was actually thinking about workshop(s) (at least temporarily) in the plain just north of Jerusalem, as the Arabs took the hill east of it and I make almost no hammers in the city. Very early medieval.

Top Bottom