1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Unorthodox strategy?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by cknwo, Feb 12, 2020.

1. cknwo

cknwo Chieftain

In my multiplayer/cpu games I like to use Norway to pillage coasts early and often. Never committed to all out war but being annoying. Letting the opponents repair just so I can pillage again. It's fun.

Is there a land based civ to do this with?

Does anyone else have odd strategies they use?

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Norway can do it on land as well, no other civ gets science from mines so they are not in the same ballpark.
    I will try taking chances civ’s by targeting their capital, pilllaging their lands and placing other subtle loyalty pressures in play so I do not have to capture their other cities. I know this approach in unorthodox, and takes some getting used to.
    Individual cvs have quite unorthodox strategies. Victoria’s use of off continent RNDY’s at the right time is a good example. As soo as they get to frigates or redcoats they can get them free immediately without resource.

cknwo likes this.
  3. cknwo

cknwo Chieftain

Nice, I'll have to give Victoria another try. I use to play her quite often before Dido came along.

4. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

Light Cavalry, specifically useful with civs like Mongolia, Hungary, and Scythia, are pretty good land raiders. They have a level II promotion, Depredation, which makes pillaging only 1MP. Since coursers have 5 moves, they can pretty quickly run through a city and go to town. Depredation requires Caparison, which also helps them if you come across any pesky pikemen.
    Note that the Mongol Keshig is weird and even though it uses the ranged promo tree, it doesn't have the usual penalties vs districts (iirc) nor does it get +3 from Genghis ability, but it does take extra damage from anticav. But a mobile crossbowman is still going to be amazing vs anyone.

I will also mention that cossacks are light cavalry that are unusually strong - 67:c5strength:. The ottoman barbary corsair comes early @ medieval faires, can coastal raid without using any movement, if you want some variety (and they have good land bonuses.)

But as Victoria said, nothing is going to compare with Norway's science from mines.

cknwo likes this.
  5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

A quite strong advantage Victoria has is RNDY +4 loyalty boost. Capture a city with a harbour and it becomes an RNDY. If your civ is ecstatic then +8 governor, +6 ecstatic +4 RNDY +2 garrison card =+20 loyalty which counters any pop pressure, +3 governor card, +3 off continent card and +2 Victor means unless you have taken many cities so are at -10 occupancy you should be fine. The 2 things in all of this that make the difference are +6 ecstatic and +4 RNDY which only England gets.

6. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

There is an often overlooked unit, barbary corrsair, unique for Ottomans. If your goal is just to be annoying, not necessairly the yields, Norway is nothing comparing to midgame Ottomans, because ottomans don't need numbers :p
    Why?
    - Corsairs come significantly earlier and you can use them before anyone gets any strong counter against it (ok, except Indonesia)
    - they don't pay movement for pillaging!

All you need to do is just to rushbuy one corsair and find a victim

With only ONE unit you can clear the whole coast faster than anyone else. You can pillage campus, library and university the same turn and run away from city bombards the same turn. You can get massive gold and faith from pillaging improvemenrts just in one single turn. And because janissaries alf halfpriced also in terms of gold/faithbuying, you should know what to do next

AlannaT and Bangau like this.
  7. sugerdady87

sugerdady87 Warlord

Play 100% gold focused and buy as much diplomatic favor from the AIs as possible before you have 10 victory points. You will have too much influence that they won't be able to stop you from winning a diplo victory.