Unplayable multiplayer game

Flagmauth

Chieftain
Me and four of my friends have recently begun a multiplayer game. However, after saving the game and attempting to resume from the save, we find ourselves unable to perform any actions. Units can be selected but will not move, production can be chosen but the game refuses to acknowledge it. The turn timer runs down but it will just stop at zero

Initially, we got around this by saving the game, switching host, and reloading it from the new host's file. This no longer works, however - I was the first host and can no longer load a functioning game. And we're not interested in continuing to switch hosts until we run out of time.

What's going on and can we salvage this game? Is it because the fifth player was there at the beginning but hasn't been present when we have reloaded the session?

I have attached the save file now for anyone who thinks they can glean some useful information from it. Also I shall now expand upon my first post as it was rather sparse.

• We have four players. We started with five, but the fifth can't be there every time. However, I doubt this has much to do with the problem since it occurs regardless of whether or not we have all our starting players.
  • Two of our players are on Mac OS, one is on Windows 8 and I am on Windows 7
  • All of us have all available DLC
  • Nobody is using any sort of mods whatsoever.
  • Changing the host works only temporarily, as the problem "spreads" to that host. Currently myself and the other Windows player have hosted, and the game refuses to move when either of us are hosting.
  • Players leaving and rejoining the game does not work
  • The turn timer is not a factor. This is only the latest game we've had problems with, and none of the others had timers
  • Quick Combat and Quick Movement are both turned off as we like the animations, should they be on?
  • Nobody leaves before/during the save process
  • In the past, the problem has attached itself to one player seemingly at random - if they leave we can play the game, but when they rejoin it stops working again. This is not consistent between saved games, however.

Attachments

• Bismarck_0113 AD-1060.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
More likely to get useful responses from the Multiplayer forum.

Moderator Action: Thread moved.

After u load game, someone should leave it and hot join (I.e. using join game from steam friends list). This usually fix this freeze.

Welcome to wonderful civ5 mp.

• Players leaving and rejoining the game does not work

We've tried it.

In other news, however, the game seems to pick on one player and will freeze up the game if they're in it - but if we kick him out it seems to work. It's not always the same player, either - as of this game it's the Assyria player, but other than that it seems random. He's going to check his Steam files and verify the integrity of the game cache - after that we'll see if it works out any better starting without him and having him join a bit later, that sort of thing.

I heard that windows 8 can be nasty with mp games making some of them unplayable. Vista or 7 are probably the best in term of stability(dont know about windows 10).

Top Bottom