1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unreachable resources in World mapscript

Discussion in 'Maps & Scenarios' started by Snofru1, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

Not sure if this is intended or an error: I have created a map with the current @Toffer90 World mapscript (50% resources) and many sea resources are absolutely unreachable in the open sea - at least until we start building cities on the ocean floor ;)...

Attached Files:

2. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

It was an intentional change, as the code to evaluate if a resource is unreachable for a city does cost quite a bit of time during map generation considering the amount of times the code is processesd for each bonus placed.
    I also considered ocean cities, is that a thing in C2C? I think it is but I haven't played late era C2C games in several years now so it may be just my imagination.

3. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

There are no ocean cities.

4. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I see, maybe there will be one day. ^^

5. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

I think reachability check should be added back but only for bonuses, that are placed in ocean tiles.

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Ocean cities have always been something we wanted to open up. The work on tunnels and overlapping movement rules have been a part of moving in that direction.

7. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Harvesting ocean resources that is too far away for a city to work them or even culture to reach is also something we have discussed.

8. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

The problem is that some resources (manganese, hydrothermal vents etc.) aren´t available at all on the attached map as no city could ever reach there.
    I wouldn´t mind a longer processing time (raxo's suggestion sounds good), he it is only once in a game!

And yes, ocean cities would be great, but I don´t expect them to be there in the next time...

9. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Emperor

To be fair quite a lot of resources (mineral ones especially) don't do anything yet.

10. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

True, but oil is nearly not available from the sea and even fish close to the coast is quite rare in this example (I currently own half of the world but still have no fish!).

11. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I will chew on what's been said, maybe I'll add in the code again or do something else like weighing sea and coast higher than ocean and trench.
    Currently geothermal vent and manganeese can only be placed on ocean terrain, letting it be placed on sea and deep sea makes sense to me regardless of what I do in the mapscript.

Snofru1 likes this.