Unrealistic BS

Full Metal

Chieftain
I'm playing Korea on Emperor, and I settled a city near Babylon. He has his capital, with no other cities. Come turn 50, he comes at me with at least 10 guys. Really? He's spent every turn producing armies, with no money problems? 4 bowmen and more than a handful of warriors? I find that hard to believe.

I can understand giving the computer happiness bonuses, and such. But that many troops in so little time is kinda ridiculous.

I realize this is in strategy, so I'll make it more on topic. I'm going to restart that map, and try a different strategy. Should I go for GL, like I did last time? Or should I beeline for Iron, and take out Babs?

Civ cheats on higher levels. It even cheats in some ways on easy levels. It always has, and by now I think we can assume it always will. The AI gets bonuses you can't touch as a human player. You have to get all 'cheaty' back - using tactics that would never work in the real world. That's why I never play above Prince, and even then it will annoy me at times by getting a bit cheaty (killing AI units safely even at Prince requires a two upgrade advantage at least) - e.g. Longswordsman vs. warrior, not swordsman vs. warrior.

Also, pay very, very close (if you don't already) to all your bonuses for land type, special unit abilities, promotions, SP, etc.

Kill them all.

Get swordsmen right off the bat.

Launch counterattack.

About cheating AI: am I the only one whose noticed the AI can move/attack with units on the same turn it buys them? I swear I've seen two units(one bought/one produced?) run out of the same damn empty city too many times to count.

What civ are you playing as, by the way?

Korea + GL on Emperor is too good to pass up. It's essentially two free techs instead of one. You could build it while researching Mining + Bronze in the meantime, then choose Iron if you wanted the swords. But really, 10 units is not a big deal. AI can be easily decimated by just a few archers with your very first warrior when defending and you don't really have to hardbuild, just buy if you've been selling OB and luxs.

I'm playing Korea on Emperor, and I settled a city near Babylon. He has his capital, with no other cities. Come turn 50, he comes at me with at least 10 guys. Really? He's spent every turn producing armies, with no money problems? 4 bowmen and more than a handful of warriors? I find that hard to believe.

I can understand giving the computer happiness bonuses, and such. But that many troops in so little time is kinda ridiculous.
Close start = early war. By turn 50 you should have iron hooked up or at least couple of archers or warriors that are close to be upgraded.

About cheating AI: am I the only one whose noticed the AI can move/attack with units on the same turn it buys them? I swear I've seen two units(one bought/one produced?) run out of the same damn empty city too many times to count.
Did you actually see them attacking from the city? Moving two units isn't a problem. Human player does the same. If the unit is hard built at the current turn and another one was rush bought the previous turn (which was possible since on previous turn there were still no units parked in the city), they both become active. What you can't do is to attack from the same tile, thus you first need to move one of them and only then attack. But technically both are activated at the same turn.

Korea + GL on Emperor is too good to pass up. It's essentially two free techs instead of one.
It's a free tech + half of a median tech. Same as RA, afaik.

It's a free tech + half of a median tech. Same as RA, afaik.

GL has a double RA boost - one as a science wonder, another for the free library. Most of the time I do find the double boost to actually grant another tech if I didn't forget to queue research. :p In case people find me debatable, I got the info from the 2K forum and the info in turn was actually confirmed by someone here. :lol:

GL has a double RA boost - one as a science wonder, another for the free library. Most of the time I do find the double boost to actually grant another tech if I didn't forget to queue research. :p In case people find me debatable, I got the info from the 2K forum and the info in turn was actually confirmed by someone here. :lol:
I didn't know that. Thanks. Does PT or any other wonder that gives GS points provides a boost as well? It makes Korea a potential wonder spammer. Unlike Ramesses who does that just because he can, korean guy actually should be doing that.

For world wonders, only GL actually provides direct beakers. But PT increases the beakers by 50% just like an RA thus is a must-grab for Korea too.

Strange logic. Why GL does and PT doesn't? :rolleyes: Oh well...
If there is such thing as a must have wonder for any civ (which really isn't) that's PT. Unless you play for really fast domination. And then who cares... :lol:

True true, just like why play Korea if going domination :lol:

True true, just like why play Korea if going domination :lol:

Hey now... I was playing domination! :lol:

I tend to not build up any forces, which invites DoWs. But I can usually push them back. But I've never seen such a swarm so soon!

Oh... and I've seen two archers (one freshly built) fire from a city, THEN move! I've also seen it where two archers AND a ship fired from the same city.

Anyway... moved on from that map. I hate when the game finally gives you a good map, then it spoils it by putting two kingdoms on your doorstep, or you find out your fantastic harbor is on an inland sea, or something.

Did you actually see them attacking from the city? Moving two units isn't a problem. Human player does the same. If the unit is hard built at the current turn and another one was rush bought the previous turn (which was possible since on previous turn there were still no units parked in the city), they both become active. What you can't do is to attack from the same tile, thus you first need to move one of them and only then attack. But technically both are activated at the same turn.

Hmm, I thought you could see the unit inside the city even if it was inactive the turn it was bought. Maybe not, though? Obviously I don't know what the AI sees when I buy units. I just chalked it up to the AI cheating. Well, okay, building huge hammer units in 1 turn is STILL cheating, but not as bad. :p

Hmm, I thought you could see the unit inside the city even if it was inactive the turn it was bought. Maybe not, though? Obviously I don't know what the AI sees when I buy units. I just chalked it up to the AI cheating. Well, okay, building huge hammer units in 1 turn is STILL cheating, but not as bad. :p

Numerous times I've seen the AI buy a unit in a city with another unit in it (say, catapult+archer), shoot with both, then move the new unit out of the city. So yeah, I think that it is able to cheat in this manner. They are also able to move a settler 2 tiles on non-improved terrain, then found a city on the same turn.

I"d kill them off. Killing off a civilization early has a lot of advantages. If it's really early the civ might not know many other civs so you won't get the warmonger diplomacy hit. And a capital city tends to be pretty good.

Strange logic. Why GL does and PT doesn't? :rolleyes: Oh well...
If there is such thing as a must have wonder for any civ (which really isn't) that's PT. Unless you play for really fast domination. And then who cares... :lol:

If you're playing as Persia the Chichen Itza will give you even longer golden ages, so you can have a full 20 turns to use the bonuses Persia gets from GAs.

Numerous times I've seen the AI buy a unit in a city with another unit in it (say, catapult+archer), shoot with both, then move the new unit out of the city. So yeah, I think that it is able to cheat in this manner. They are also able to move a settler 2 tiles on non-improved terrain, then found a city on the same turn.

The unit is not purchased, it is built. Even the AI does not cheat about buying a unit in a garrisoned city. You can also do shoot with both if you do the same thing. It's a bug that lets you shoot with both range unit, I've done it before so I know it works. What you can not do is attack with a stacked mellee unit.

Also the unit does not move after it fires, it gets booted from the city when the turn ends. Same thing will happen to your unit if you do this, so make sure you have a place for it behind the city or it will die horribly :)

If you're playing as Persia the Chichen Itza will give you even longer golden ages, so you can have a full 20 turns to use the bonuses Persia gets from GAs.
So? Does it mean you have to build it when you can capture it? :)
And even if you don't capture it, PT will help you advance through the course of the game much more than CI. Besides, AI prioritizes CI and at higher levels builds it much earlier than you can even smell it.

You can also do shoot with both if you do the same thing. It's a bug that lets you shoot with both range unit, I've done it before so I know it works. What you can not do is attack with a stacked mellee unit.

Also the unit does not move after it fires, it gets booted from the city when the turn ends. Same thing will happen to your unit if you do this, so make sure you have a place for it behind the city or it will die horribly :)
QFT. :)

Numerous times I've seen the AI buy a unit in a city with another unit in it (say, catapult+archer), shoot with both, then move the new unit out of the city. So yeah, I think that it is able to cheat in this manner.

I have repeatedly seen the same thing. And several times, the moving unit crossed an unbridged river after firing, so it is not a matter of the animation being presented in the wrong order. New AI units clearly get to fire immediately and still have movement points left.

I'm so confused now lol

I just assumed they could cheat and do it because they can cheat with another "action" thing, namely capturing + deleting a worker on the same turn, despite that being impossible for a human player, but apparently there's disagreement. The only thing I can remember involving melee units was one time Arabia moved two Pikemen along a road from the same city on a coast that looked empty, but they didn't attack(or have anything TO attack). The other times it was indeed range units and that could be accounted for with the kicking.

Maybe Deity is just making me hallucinate :crazyeye:

Top Bottom