1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unrestricted leaders fun

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Imploding, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Imploding

Imploding Warlord

Loaded up Civ 4 again, and had a really fun game with Boudica as Rome! I play Immortal and it the leader civ combination was broken, in a good way, a fun way! Super promoted pretorians to rule them all.

Anyone have any other fun combinations? Was thinking about trying napoleon of the Sumerians? Getting cheap courthouses and super voulters!

2. odin1981

odin1981 Chieftain

Playing one right now. Immortal level huge marathon events/huts on 15 civs 3 continents Hemispheres.

Lead country is Shaka the Roman this is around 1300 ad. With 23-25 cities a 13 city vassalized Zara who is a persian this game, and a 2 city Pericle vassal who is Malinese. Has a score of around 1900 atm.

I'm second with 20 cities and a 1820'sh. I'm tech leader ghandi/china. I got monopolies on steel, communism, physics, and soon to be railroad.

Luckily shaka is another continent cause shaka + Praets = upset continent. But I will have to take on his 2.2 million army around 1500 ad or so.

Im currently at war with a 18 city monty who is a Spaniard this game and a 12 city vassal of his hatty who i will be taking off his hands soon on my continent. Other person on my continent is a 14 city augustus who is Zulu. I leveled Frederick off England around 1000 BC.

3. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Suleiman of China? Bulb MC and Machinery.

Shaka of Inca would be cool except Quecha already start with Combat I.

4. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Ragnar of England (inspiration of Vikings series :D ) was actual fun for me :D BtS Redcoats are not the same as Vanilla but still... When Draft, better (Combat 1) Riflegnar is always better Riflegnar.. specially with FIN and Stock Exchange (to keep up the pace)

5. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

Pericles of Arabia for half-priced Madrassas can be pretty fun.

Churchill of the Mali is also pretty fun simply for Skirmisher use.

6. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Churchill of Spain could make those Citadels an interesting option (I've never built one despite having it as my avatar for 4 years...)

Darius of the Holy Roman Empire would be a strong contender for best possible late game economy.

Sury of India should be able to pull off a pretty fast start. Shaka of India would also be fun because, well, Shaka of India. :D

7. nate46

nate46 Warlord

For best catapult rush, play Victoria of Korea.

8. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

Now I'm wondering about Tokugawa of Native America . . . Aggressive Dog Soldiers backed by super-promoted Archers. :)

9. Imploding

Imploding Warlord

Napoleon of Sumeria probably could be a really cool thing! Maybe I did it wrong.. (i know i did) but from my test game they did not have enough early game punch to snowball into make use of the cheap courthouses. But i did a lot of strange in that game..!

Going back to my main girl, Boudica now of summerian! Agg really adds a cool flavor to the early rush :) while charismatic keeps the units relevant for eons!

Sidenote, I promote, "medic" and "heal while moving" for the two first promotions! It is a BLAST! :D other cool promotion paths?

Shaka of inca... "Another freshly captured whip station is ready sir!!" :lol:

Like the churchill + mali combo aswell.. getting something insanly imbalanced early is fun! ;) The super fast imbalanced catas sound fun aswell!

10. Imploding

Imploding Warlord

11. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

The ability to bulb Maths fast is always good, but Cyrus of Mongolia would be a lot of fun

12. Imploding

Imploding Warlord

Cyrus of Mongolia! haha, Nice! Seems like a fun alternative compared to Lincon of Mongolia. They both have their advantages in the early rush game, AND late game.

Lincon, early game: faster math.
    Late game; faster academy, golden ages and other bulbs.

Cyrus, early game: faster 3 - 4 cities, and if you build a stable + rax + 1 settled General you have 3 x promotion Keshiks right out of the gate. and 2 x promoted catas!!
    Later game; insane great general "sniper" keshiks and a great Heroic Epic spot with settled generals. In a war intensive game like this I think its possible to get 3-4 generals pretty easy. :thumbsup:

Would rate it at a toss up in the early game.. and a slight advantage to Lincoln in the late.. But the fun factor goes to Cyrus. :lol:

Will try a game later today! Great tip! :)

PS. I also experienced to my great frustration that the keshiks are not immune to first strikes like a regular HA! They have 1, but are not immune. So protective leaders archers have a tendency to systematically kill of "unkillable guys".. to my great frustration. :rolleyes:

13. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

That's my greatest grievance with the Keshik.

14. lymond

Well, hopefully there is no late game with Cyrus of the Mongols :lol:

man, completely forgot that Keshiks are not immune to first strikes. Still, there tactical advantages make them very good

15. MyOtherName

MyOtherName Emperor

Too bad. Building hordes of CR3 Trebuchets is fun!

16. Imploding

Imploding Warlord

These two points summed up my game!

Had a low food and medium hammer start (actually the entire continent was low food). Plain cows and unwet wheat, which my horse city needed. My capitol was stagnate @ 7 pop in the AD. Ended up on a pretty good war streak. Ended up With 17-19 cities and no economy what so ever.. Then the keshiks started to die vs longbows....

But the initial thought was amazing! The char/imp hm.. I would rate it higher than char/phi when HA rushing.. because you can faster set up a better push "base" with more cities more chops. Also you can get out that second city so fast, and hook up horses or other nice things outside of your BFC.

Thinking of trying the same with war chariots! Hm.. or maybe numedian cavalery.. or just regular horse archers with a UB that can help with the economy.. maybe Ill go back to the Sumerians again. :crazyeye:

Yeah.. The best starting techs, a UU who can be fun when superpromoted.. and a economy saving UB that comes really early.. "Cyrus of summerian" it is!
    I don't know about you.. but I'm kind of getting my hopes up! :D tbc... :king:

17. Imploding

Imploding Warlord

Victory!

Cyrus of Summeria, 1290 AD domination victory! With a decent start this combo/guy could really kick ass! Will have a go at diety soon :)

18. Little Faith

Little Faith Warlord

Pacal of the Inca should have a furiously fast start. 2 pop whippable Terraces and good early barb defence without the need to tech anything. ..Oh yeah and you're Financial.

Pericles in charge of anything with decent starting techs. I would love Greece if their starting techs weren't so poor.

Napoleon of the Aztec seems like something that would be fun as well.

19. lymond

I think you mean 1pop whip Terraces, or fast chopped

20. Little Faith

Little Faith Warlord

I meant "whipped at 2 pop".