Unsigned ActiveX?

MadScot

Brandy's back!
Today I am getting security warnings on almost every page about ActiveX not running on the page due to my browser settings. I have not changed the security settings. And it's only set to 'medium', which means the offending ActiveX is "unsigned".

Have we got another would-be intrusive ad on the site?

additional info

When the warning appears, the banner ad is replaced by the "broken link picture" symbol. So I'm pretty sure that's where the problem is. Didn't the "core" fiasco have enough reaction?

I'm pretty sure it's an ad. I got it too on like every other page load, and have temporarily blocked mediamgr.ugo.com through the hosts file and haven't gotten it since.

Part of the problem, for me, is the way IE handles these things. If I disable active X, I don't expect to have to dismiss a "This page has an active X control which you disabled" dialog box everytime I load a page. I *know* I disabled it, thank you.

I have them (ugo) blocked also, p., but am still getting the stupid warning every time. Are you referring to the restricted sites list, or something else?

I have had them on the restricted sites list since the core fiasco which, for me, only allows simple HTML pages and images, but not Java, ActiveX, or anything else really. Unfortunately, IE still gives me a message about this one; you'll note the message I get is slightly different than yours. What I did this time was the more drastic maneuver of placing an entry of the form "127.0.0.1 mediamgr.ugo.com" into C:\Windows\hosts which essentially tells the operating system that mediamgr.ugo.com is my machine and since I don't run a webserver, I just get a "broken link" image but no annoying dialog. Hopefully this ad will run its course quickly and go away and then I will comment out that line. Back in the thread about the Core ad or another similar thread you can find more about this method of completely blocking sites and some people even posted their own, quite large, hosts files.

Personally, I don't like to completely block ugo under normal circumstances because I consider viewing the ads a payment of sorts for accessing CFC, but in situations like this, I will block it. Others have a different view, of course ;)

I don't think Win98 has a hosts directory... unless it's elsewhere.

My system is Win98; there it's simply a file called "hosts" in the Windows directory.

Top Bottom