untill ''Shogun 2'' comes out...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Ermak-, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Ermak-

Ermak- Prince

Firaxis only have 1 month or so before major strategy game title comes out. If they cannot release another large patch or something that will be the end of ciV. I suspect a lot of strategy players will be glad the nightmare is over when they migrate.

2. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

I've heard Shogun 2 is lacking in depth.
    I've never tried the total war series, though.

And when Firaxis makes the expansion? Won't that be a big deal?
    If half the people who bought civ 5 bought the expansion, they'd still make a tidy profit.

3. Humakty

Humakty Happy Goblin

Shogun 1 and medieval 1 were really innovative for their time. Those two are some of my best gaming memories.

The titles which followed totally changed the strategic map layout, allowing for an incredible freedom of movement, ambushes were possible...etc, which could have been for the best if the AI had followed. And it has not, but really not at all.

Still I can't advise anyone to buy the two first titles, apart if you don't give a damn to graphism, which I found ugly even at release !

The best, I think, is to go for Medieval 2 + kingdom expansion. The modding community is still very active. (check http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556 ) I'm still playing this game, so many years after release. Worth every penny in my mind.

Mods I use most :

Broken crescent
    Thera
    Call of warhammer
    Third Age

4. builer680

builer680 eats too much Taco Bell

You're assuming there will be an expansion. That's not guaranteed.

You're also making a statement ("If half the people who bought civ 5...") that you can not possibly back up. While you may be right, you can't state this as fact. You don't know how many units were sold, because sales figures haven't been released and no major sales milestone numbers have been released by 2k. Not even the 1 million mark has been published yet. So, half of <unknown> is still <unknown>.

5. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

2kgreg has already said that expansions and more content are in the works.

I'd say, being a steam bestseller for so long is a good indication of how well the game is doing.

6. TW_Honorius

TW_Honorius Warlord

I have played every total war since Medieval 1, and I can say that they are far more in depth than Civ 5. I have read alot of good review, as I did with Empire that sucked, it will be the AI improvements that will determine how good this game really is. Its true the Total War series is getting back to its roots, no gunpowder, so the game will be easier to play compared to Empire and Nap, but luckily Sandy Bridge got recalled, so I will have a chance to read reviews before I buy the game. But I will happily play both games as well as Rome and Medieval 2 at the same time.

7. sharkles

sharkles Chieftain

Obvious troll thread.
    Moderator Action: Such comments are seen as trolling itself, which is not allowed here.

8. He-Who-Hunts

He-Who-Hunts 2nd Legionary Cohort

I dunno if im willing to run on over to CA just cuz another Total War game is out. Empire and Napoleon, like civ 5, had A LOT of broken features and much like civ 5 also needed mods to reach full potential.

I'll be waiting at least a month before I make my decision on it.

9. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Actually, shogun samurai armies did use gunpowder.

10. Clement

Clement Layman

I agree with you, Civ 5 may not be my cup of tea in it's current build but i can see why someone else may like and enjoy it, can't say the same for Empire, it was a huge step backward for the total war series in my opinion and it does not fill me with any confidence with regard to the upcoming Shogun 2.

Having said that if Shogun 2 manages to bring back the depth and attention that was a staple of the total war series prior to Empire then i will buy it, but only after i've heard what the people that bought it have to say about it.

11. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

You have to convert to christianity to get access to the gunpowder (since it was introduced by the Portuguese who brought a number of Jesuit missionaries with them which ultimately was their undoing after a violent civil war resulted in the total destruction of the Christian Japanese forces and I don't remember exactly what happened to the Portuguese but they were punished).

Assuming Shogun 2 is finish upon release. Some parts of it look really good, but I have no expectations for the AI (since the developers have flopped on the AI every time). After some patches and the Gold Edition (so I don't have to pay extra for all the DLC I'll pick it up. I'm in no rush, I have all the other Total War games and haven't installed Napoleon yet, plus dozens of other games to play as well.

12. Arksa

Arksa Warlord

The only thing we have seen so far about Shogun 2 AI:

- Kieran asking AI programmer: "So what would the AI do in this situation"
    - "it could do a lot of things, it uses all of its capabilities and will suprise you"

Next thing we know AI had Archers in forest and shot his charging cavarly. Ok, can't really tell much from this.

And in the Siege AI video. AI seems to be coming from 3 different sides. Kieran seems to have Alzheimers and forgets that the enemy is actually coming from more than one side and forgets his archers in the frontlines and naturally gets raped.

Still a big mystery how the AI will be in that game, will hold on for a few weeks and see what the forum boys have to say about it first.

13. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Chieftain

I&#8217;ve played all the Total War games, including expansions, since Rome. I enjoy them quite a bit. But if I have learned a single thing from the launch of these products (particularly Empire: Total War) it is to wait until it is patched. Empire Total war was the most broken game I&#8217;ve ever seen released into the wild (a partial world map, covered with water, and an AI unable to do anything resembling a naval invasion, for starters. Not "invade poorly" mind you, but "won't invade at all"). Mostly fixed in patches, but still.

Fun games, as I&#8217;ve said, but buying the new one before, say, June would not be the best move.

14. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

We need that AI programmer to come and help out CIV5.

15. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

No, the CA team needs all the help it can get with the AI already. You want someone who is amazing at programming AI to do Civ5's.

And yeah, Kiearan is a crappy total war player. Angry Joe interviewed him at once point and made him promise that the AI will be capable of making naval invasions upo release day pre-patch, so we'll see if that happens or not. (The AI wasn't even finished little alone capable of making naval invasions before the patches for Rome, medieval 2 and Empire Total War... THREE GAMES IN A ROW).

16. Clement

Clement Layman

There was one thing that struck me about Empire, and granted i was probably one of the very few people it bothered as i tend to focus on stuff no one else seems to care about, but in my opinion the generals character traits were few in number, repetitive and poorly written in Empire compared to previous games of the series, it made the generals boring and generic for me, plus no family trees, it took all the story out of the campaign map.

17. code9

code9 Warlord

I played a few TW games but yeah, the AI has been awol lately, and judging by the promotional videos and the way the devs are talking about Shogun 2, it won't get much better. Plus, I would need a better computer.

18. kosak

kosak Chieftain

"upgraded AI" gets touted in every single strategy game sequel

it never pans out with a few exceptions

i would take what the developers say with a grain of salt regarding AI ... they are paid to make the game as appealing as possible before release, not to be truthful regarding its inadequacies

19. MakaveliTheDon

MakaveliTheDon Chieftain

If you've ever wanted to see a game series that is almost broken at release look no further than the total war games. Medieval 2 and Empire (day 1 buys for me) were completely unplayable for months after release. In Empire the AI was 100% unable to launch naval invasions for like 6 months until it was patched.

20. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

lol. I think the OP may have to rethink his "ditch civ 5 and play shogun" plan.

Judging by the posts here, there won't be much difference.