untill ''Shogun 2'' comes out...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Ermak-, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Nares

Nares Emperor

Hardly.

Also, what's the purpose of this thread? Hate on CiV? Promote Shogun 2?

2. PEACE!

PEACE! Lord.Moldovian.Guy

:sad:
    ok i agree with the empire..but on napoleon?

3. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

I played TW: Rome and I didn't like it. Repetative and boring in both tactical and strategical view. TW: Shogun was innovative in the tactical aspect, but the strategy part of these games was already a well established genre. For example, Kingdoms of England II: Vikings

So I doubt Shogun II can deliver something amazing.

I still believe in Civilization 5 and its potential. It has actually more potential than CIV4 had. Still what Firaxis and 2k do with it -- that's a different story.

4. PEACE!

PEACE! Lord.Moldovian.Guy

did you like the expansion? :)

something worth amaizing you can see is the new 3d campaign map,the unit details,the fact that now you can now customize your units once they get XP
    same goes to the general.Its release wont revolutiones the game core,but its external aspects

5. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Sounds good.

Since Nothing but the Sword (Civilization 5) focuses heavily on the military aspect and doesn't do the best of jobs of it, Shogun II will easily beat it in that regard.

Nothing but the Sword is quite light on the building aspect as I suspect Shogun II will probably be. If Shogun II isn't then NBTS is in big trouble.

6. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

Really?
    Corporations and spying not enough for you?

The Apostolic Palace?

New AI?

Troll harder.

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice you were talking about civ 5. my bad.

7. ArataWata11

ArataWata11 Chieftain

being strategy gamer, total war series is one of my favorite games, been playing since shogun 1. though I must admit, the series is no different with civs when it comes to AI programming. and I dont think or beleive shogun 2 AI will improves or solves AI predicament of its predecessors.

8. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Lol. :lol:

Yes. I was talking about Civlization 5: Nothing but the Sword. ;)

9. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

# of buildings in CIV5 is roughly the same as in CIV4. You can of course nitpick and say "5 temples" are 5 different buildings.

10. Maxor127

Maxor127 Warlord

Shogun 2 is a completely different style of game, so I doubt they'll lose many people. Personally, I like the campaign map portion of Total War games, but the combat becomes boring as hell.

11. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

While the campaign map is improving in the series, I still play for the combat. Sometimes it does get a little boring when you're veteran troops are fighting yet another handful of units but the big battles are worth it and my favourite part of the game.

Vanilla Rome: Total war is okay, but the mods make it awesome. Europa Barbarorum is amazing.

12. Ermak-

Ermak- Prince

I still play Total WAr: Roma Surrectum 2 - looks like brand new game with new released mod. The mod itself bigger then the game.

13. sketch162000

sketch162000 Warlord

The type of player they were aiming for with Civ V (the dreaded "casual") is likely to move on with a new release anyway, so there may be a dip.

14. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Oh yes, because we all know how Empire was absa-friggin-perfect when it was released. Troll thread is obviously troll thread. Did you know there's a Total War forum? Instead of trolling this part of the board, go talk about Shogun over there and stop posting your stupid, pointless, "ultimatums" as if anyone cares. It wouldn't make me so mad if it wasn't for the fact you're complaining about a patch for CiV still being in the works so instead, you're going to buy out on day 1 a game that i'm 99% sure is going to be released as broken as Empire on release.

Thank you. Really. Because this validates the reason why my ignore list is as large as it has to be to make sure I don't have a bloody aneurysm in this undermodded board where the mods let unrelated threads go here. Why not just get rid of the Total War subforum since it's CLEARLY ok to discuss other games here? This is a rant thread and I don't even know HOW it's possible anyone thought this thread was going to go anywhere remotely positive and civil. I haven't seen so much mind-numbing stupidity since reading back and forth banter between Civil War revisionists.

Seriously. A One-liner. A ONE LINE rant off-topic post should never spawn TWO pages. There was nothing to "discuss" in the OP. He basically said, "I'm going to go get Shogun 2 hur hur".

So, let's get this straight. This is the "Civilization V Discussion Board". Because when I think "Civilization 5", I think "Shogun 2" and when I think "Discussion Board" I think Blog and the comment section.

What the HELL is going on here? Did I click on the Total War discussion board by mistake? The color scheme looks the game. Same board software. If not, someone should totally tell Thunderfall that there's a copycat board where they discuss TOTAL WAR GAMES in THE CIVILIZATION 5 GENERAL DISCUSSION BOARD.

Because if it's one thing I think of when I click on the "Civ5 Modding Section", it's friggin' Never Ending Stories. Is that the joke? It's April Fool's Day early and all the board names got switched around? That would be a great joke if it wasn't February 5th! I haven't seen someone swing that early since I watched first graders play baseball in the dark with a catcher who shouts "swing" every four seconds to screw with them.

Moderator Action: On these forums calling someone a troll is considered trolling. If you believe a post is trolling please report it.

15. sketch162000

sketch162000 Warlord

Yes...let the hate flow through you...

Moderator Action: Unproductive posts like these are not conducive to good discussion, so please avoid them in the future

16. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

Civ has been here for 20 years, the idea that it could die because some Shogun will be released is, with all respect, laughable.

If Firaxis fixes the game in the next months/years, Civ will continue to shine.
    If they don't, it will slowly lose players through the years.

And Shogun has nothing to do with any of this, it's all in 2K/Firaxis hands.

17. Demon Rob

Demon Rob Chieftain

interestingly, Civ and TW were my two favourite game series,
    until TW lost the plot and forgot to program AI.
    Haven't bought TW for several iterations now,
    and since CiV both companies are in the same boat,
    DO NOT BUY A GAME FROM THEM UNTIL INDEPENDENT GAMERS HAVE REVIEWED!

Shogun2 sounds exciting, but until the people at totalwar.org say its good it wont be purchased.
    Civ6 will sound exciting, but until the people at Civfanatics says its good it wont be purchased.

18. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Until STW2 is released and we get a couple of player reviews, there is no indication whatsoever that it's gonna be a better game than Civ5. If anything, CA's track record is worse than Firaxis' with glaring bugs in many of their 1.0 releases.

RTW was barely playable, M2TW had the melee bug (iirc shield value was subtracted from armor rather than added) and similar shenanigans, Empire was barely playable and had no AI naval invasions in a colonialism game. Napoleon was ok but had very few innovations and was a "stand-alone expansion" - so the Grand Campaign replayability value was quite low.

Granted, S2TW will use the warscape engine so it might avoid RTW's and ETW's problems. I for one wait and see. And no, I'm not a TW hater, I on and off modded the games for years.

19. skallben

skallben Diplomat

Yeah, because new releases confirm a law of nature that players permanently leave older games behind. The over two hundred peeps browsing different IV forums as I type this obviously hang around the forum so like that with the intention to learn about a game not yet released. Learning from history, yeah.
    :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

Jokes aside, IMHO, Total War series and Civ are very different from eachother, neither series can fulfil my urge to play the other.

20. Lanstro

Lanstro Prince

Yep Shogun 2's a definite wait and see - Creative Assembly is very low on my list of trustworthy developers. If you thought Civ5 was the most disappointing follow-up to a great game ever, you obviously missed Empire.

(That said, you probably also missed Medieval II, which I highly recommend. A couple of play-throughs with vanilla, then a couple with a few mods, will keep you entertained for months.)