Unusual Games Thread

Post'em here! ;)

Here's mine: Religious Equality! The religions are more or less equal with Confucianism taking the top spot and Hinduism not far behind. So we have a Hindu France, Muslim Vikings, Christian Greece Rome, Jewish Babylon, Buddhist Persia, Confucian China, Taoist Japan. Russia (that is I) does not have a religion yet so you could perhaps be the deal breaker.

Here are the demographics:

14% Confucian
13% Hindu
12% Christianity
10% Taoist
9% Buddhist
5% Islam
5% Judaism

Me thinks this is because as playing India to start the game, I had the game event occur where I could convert 4 Roman cities to Hinduism, which I accepted. Even though Rome stayed Christian it's amazing to see what an influence this had on the game. Not often you see relative religious parity so enjoy!

Attachments

• Religious Equality Game.CivBeyondSwordSave
    536 KB · Views: 73
My current game, I think the Americas are quite interesting. I have a Taoist pacific block consisting of Khmer, Japan (me), the Chinese independents, Inca and Aztec. I got to America early (the Maya were still around, I wiped them out and gave their cities+my units to the Aztecs) and helped out the civs there so the Europeans would have a hard time. It's 1600AD and they're still holding on, the Inca are doing quite well with most of South America under their belt. The problem is the Europeans keep declaring war on me... makes it hard to tech trade.

The time before that I started with America and was shocked to find a huge Dutch superpower dominating the world; their European empire encompassed all of Germany and some of Russia, and they owned pretty much all of the colonies in North America. I think they also had colonies in South Africa and Indonesia.

I have a few unusual games to list, all recent too!

1. I was playing as China. Carthage somehow becomes a mammoth superpower. I believe this is because they snatched Christianity early. Their Empire stretched all across northern Africa, including all of Egypt, and partly into the middle east; they even had Ethiopia and Mali as their vassals. This is by 1500AD when I finally started to explore Europe. It seems Rome also became a power briefly, and had all of Greece, but like usual it collapsed, and its former empire was still half independent.

2. I was playing as the Aztecs. The Byzantium Empire becomes a superpower! I have seen this happen before, where they hold onto their last few cities for dear life into the modern age, but I never saw it like this. It was the 1600's, and I was busy fending off Europe and trying to win my UHV when I explored Europe with map trading and sailing. I quickly figured out the Byzantiums are capable of spreading through conquests, which I never did see before honestly. They had grabbed every Russian city up to Minsk, and even had Budapest under their belt. To make matters worse, they took back Alexandria from the Egyptians. The only territory lost were their middle eastern territories. As the game continued, they remained a powerful entity in Europe, but eventually lost the territory gained and collapsed in the 20th century.

3. I was playing as Persia. I did the usual middle eastern conquests, and Babylon and Egypt both fell to me. Now strong and making a fair bit of gold off of my conquests, I went into India, swords swinging, and peacefully spread into Anatolia and the rest of the middle east, except for Arabia. But then, much to my surprise, Rome was violently spreading into Greece, and just popped down Constantinople--it's in the AD, and they founded Christianity too. Seeing that my army is way over in India, I just pray I am safe from the Roman monster looming over me. I am not. They declared war on me, took all of Anatolia, and made the rest of the game miserable for me. My main army eventually made it back, but I had a lot of trouble fighting them back, and it turned into a stalemate and I lost the game! Not to mention I had intended to use my army for defensive measures after it was done with India, from both barbarians and the few other civilizations left; as a result of the war in Anatolia, barbarians hurt me a lot.

4. I was playing as Germany. Now this is something I have never seen before, but it might be more common than I thought? China conquered Mongolia and destroyed it. In nearly every game I have played, it has been 'Mongolia slowly chips away at China, and then China collapses for most of the rest of the game' but in this game China, due to taking over Mongolia, as well as Korea, became the world leader, and was far from unstable. It was a really interesting game.

Actually China often dominates Mongolia, it depends on whether they lose a city to Mongolia to start with, and whether they have gunpowder.

I just finished the Aztecs in Emperor. I was busy preparing for the arrival of the Americans by whipping my St. Augustine-equivalent and an island city. When they spawned, I gave them the outlying island city and they made it their capital! Gave me +4 relationship and made Washington's culture a non-factor. Then my St. Augustine flipped to them and I was starting to worry about the -4 relationship and their riflemen (because I had taken over all of the the midwest and west coast, so their settlers have nowhere to go.) 4 turns later, they offered to be my vassal!!:lol:
Ever since then we're great friends, and I finally won in 1958 (still only had infantry, antitanks, marines vs. France's helicopters and mechanized armor. Hey, number wins--I had 15+ infantry vs. their paltry 8-9 troops, and I used my innumerable workers to lure their units outside of the city)

Carthage founding Christianity always proves to be an interesting game in my experience.

Also I was suprised when I was playing Arabia and saw that Urshalim had actually founded both Judaism and Christianity. I never played it very far but wondered if I could expect a few European crusades?

Just while we're on the subject of Urshalim, I had a game recently were it didn't found Judaism. I was shocked - some city in Egypt (think it was Niwt-Rst) got it. Urshalim became just another city, and Ethiopia became a massive Jewish superpower in Africa after Egypt collapsed and it nabbed the Holy City.

That's happened in a few of my games actually, because I play Egypt before switching to another civ and usually end up founding Judaism.

ugg once, rome built the great wall in mendelonium. since i was japan i didnt care about europeon affairs till early 1700's so i had no clue. i went there and it was a COMPLETE mess. The wall had parts in spain, france, rome, germany and spreading all the way to greece almost hitting istanbul. lol In this game i got lucky somehow and got all the fortune. i colonised alot of the pacifc US as well as some of the philipeans, all of china reaching to mongolia. i had my vassal masu support me with all this gold, and khemer, aztetcs, and incas chipped in too ;) lol. i also converted em all to taoism and helped them uber amounts to ward off europeons. The french declared war for no reason which pissed me off so i sent giant transports of ships to france and erradicated them.... lol it felt so good. I used the english Tikal channel to cross to the atlantic ;)

Also in another game i was playing as america. I built kansas city and wow was it amazing. It became the second most populated city in my empire, the most productive (most military units in 1-2 turns) buildings in 2-3 and wonders in like 5-7. i eventually made it my capitol to make more gold, and better production, and it was better secured for those dam spanish invaders loll.

Úmarth;6319714 said:
Japan with its capital in Kansas? Now that is unusual.

I think he said America. Still, nice concept. Bet Dorothy was surprised
when she got home. So now all the Munchkins in Oz will get cameras?:lol:

I just completed the German UHV as a Jewish state. Well thats not strictly true I had adopted free religon by 1950 something but was Jewish for most of it.

Considering the UHV I thought it was amusing.

Speaking of odd Capital games I have seen the Netherlands Capital in Australia when I was playing as England once (forget the city name but it wasnt jf dewalt's land or whatever its called) but another further east and north near where the goody hut is in the Jungle. I should point out this was last year sometime so no idea what patch it was with...

I also had a Christian China a couple of patches ago too (October sometime may have mentioned it in another thread) but I *think* thats been fixed.

Úmarth;6319714 said:
Japan with its capital in Kansas? Now that is unusual.

yup i did mean america

And lol ive kicked teh dutch outa their capitol b4, playing as germany i kicked french out and i was like hey y not control all of this part of europe so i attackd the weakly defended amsterdam making the dutch capitol Nuive Amsterdam

Did new Amsterdam flip to america?
(I have always wondered if capitals can flip to rising civs ;))

I also have played a game where france got kicked out of europe, they ended up basically being canada for ages before slowly clawing france back through congress...

Not really unusual, but kinda fun.
I played as Spain and grabbed Rome early, the gold from which shrine partially paid for my colonisation of the Americas. Basically, everything from the Hudson Bay to Santa Cruz (in the land of fire) was spanish. The exception was some petty jungle in the middle of the amazonas.
Anyway, as we know, there's a lot of corn/wheat in the americas. Thus, I founded Cereal Inc. It made my cities kinda profoundly large, for my games anyway. The largest one was (maybe in the Kansas city position?) next to two corn and then all farms, it was at 38 pop and slowly growing. If the silly health-bar wouldn't have stopped it, it would probably have gotten even larger. (I think the largest city you can build in a super-theoretic scenario is 45 size, without corps).

I have also had China grab parts of North America. It was one of those "China is three eras ahead of anyone else"-games, heh. They came with carriers and marines to grab Redcoat-protected NY.

The other day I started a Dutch 3000 BC game, and I was shocked to see that there were 5 different religions existing in Europe. Judaism was the most dominant, with Germany, England, France, Rome, and Carthage (and later me). Spain was the only Christian civ (very interesting...), the Vikings were Islamic (I don't know how that happened), Greece was Hindu, and Russia was Buddhist (that one made me crack up). This caused a lot of rivalries and wars between the civs, and I always got caught up between them. It was also interesting because Christianity and Judaism were basically swapped in influence; Chritianity had virtually none while Judaism was dominant. Turkey became Islamic once it spawned, something I've never seen before (they are usually Christian or Jewish in my games). I eventually had to restart because I couldn't handle all the religious wars interfering with my UHV. XD

Did new Amsterdam flip to america?
(I have always wondered if capitals can flip to rising civs ;))

I also have played a game where france got kicked out of europe, they ended up basically being canada for ages before slowly clawing france back through congress...

lol i did that in my japanese game where i erdaicated the french, they had 1 small city in canada they evetually died off tho.

And i dont remember if new amsterdam flipped i was germany so i had no care of american affairs.

I played as Spain last week. Madrid's culture overwhelmed Portugal and the capital was sent to Brazil. I found it interesting because that actually did happen in real life (though it wasn't due to culture; it was during the Napoleonic Wars).

Top Bottom