Unusual promotion choice

TheVampire

Chieftain
It's pretty early in the game. Most advanced unit is probably an axeman.

I have a chariot ( haven't researched HB riding yet ) that's gotten a little experience dealing with the barbarian masses.

First promotion I take is Combat 1.

But then, the next promotion I get, I have +25% vs. Gunpowder units as one of my choices ( and +25% vs. Melee units ), but I do NOT have plus vs archery units available in the list.

Why in the world would the game give me the option of this promotion when no civs are even remotely close to gunpowder as a tech?

( Using 1.52 patch. )

The promotion options for any given unit are fixed. Some units don't get some promotions; e.g., Chariots can't get the Cover promotion. You can look at the unit's entry in the Civilopedia to see which promotions are available to it.

DaviddesJ said:
The promotion options for any given unit are fixed.

So why would the game designers give chariots a promotion path vs gunpowder units, when chariots are relics by the time gunpowder is in common use?

TheVampire said:
So why would the game designers give chariots a promotion path vs gunpowder units, when chariots are relics by the time gunpowder is in common use?

Most units of the same type have most of the same promotions available. So the "reason" is probably just that's what other mounted units get. As for utility, you can upgrade the Chariots to better mounted units and keep their experience and promotions.

TheVampire said:

Because chariots can be upgraded to horse archers, and later to knights, cavalry and gunships.

TheVampire said:

Because chariots can be upgraded to knights/cavalry, which both can make pretty good use of the Pinch promotion. It's not the first option you're going to take with a chariot, but it is nice if you're one of those players who doesn't use their promotions right away or may be planning a future war.

Top Bottom