Unusual XP installation problem....

allhailIndia

Deity
Here's the story

I bought Civ IV a couple of weeks back, installed it on my comp at home, which obviously did not have enough memory to show me leader heads or the terrain. SO I installed it and played it on my Dad's brand new Toshiba laptop, where it played like a dream and so I really did not notice the difference with the 1.52 patch.

Now that I am back at college, I tried to install the game on my machine and came across an error during installation which will not let me install the game, but wil copy all the files on to the hard drive as part of the installation..

My system specs are as follows..

1.8 Ghz Intel P 4
256 MB Ram
64 MB Video RAM
all other stuff being standard.

The error, after I examined it closely, seems to be about the Windows Software testing logo...normally it allows me to install all the same, but for Civ IV and DirectX 9.0c alone it prevents me from installing saying it is not Windows tested!!! I installed a couple of other programs but neither of them were Windows LOGO tested but were installed all the same..
I turned the setting off in the Drivers section to ignore for Logo testing, but still it refuses to let me install.

I'll shortly post some screenshots which I took while trying to install...but please help me re-unite with CIv IV

allhailIndia said:
Here's the story

I bought Civ IV a couple of weeks back, installed it on my comp at home, which obviously did not have enough memory to show me leader heads or the terrain. SO I installed it and played it on my Dad's brand new Toshiba laptop, where it played like a dream and so I really did not notice the difference with the 1.52 patch.

Now that I am back at college, I tried to install the game on my machine and came across an error during installation which will not let me install the game, but wil copy all the files on to the hard drive as part of the installation..

My system specs are as follows..

1.8 Ghz Intel P 4
256 MB Ram
64 MB Video RAM
all other stuff being standard.

The error, after I examined it closely, seems to be about the Windows Software testing logo...normally it allows me to install all the same, but for Civ IV and DirectX 9.0c alone it prevents me from installing saying it is not Windows tested!!! I installed a couple of other programs but neither of them were Windows LOGO tested but were installed all the same..
I turned the setting off in the Drivers section to ignore for Logo testing, but still it refuses to let me install.

I'll shortly post some screenshots which I took while trying to install...but please help me re-unite with CIv IV

Try shuting WHQL from dxdiag too.

Uncheck the box at bottom of general tab of dxdiag.

Neon Deon said:
Try shuting WHQL from dxdiag too.

Uncheck the box at bottom of general tab of dxdiag.

@Neon, I am not exactly how to do what you suggested I do, mind if I ask you the exact steps??

Thanks

The screen shot is too big to be attached, but this is the error message I get when I try to install Civ IV towards teh end of the installation

"The Software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo Testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.

This software will not be installed. Contact your system administrator"..

Afterwards when I click on the Civ IV shortcut to try and run it...

"The application has failed to start because D3DX9_26.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem"..

I'll try downloading DirectX 9.0c of the website.. Thanks a lot.

You have to have admin rights on your computer to change settings and add software.

Do you have admin rights?

Whql on dxdiag

start/run

Type in:

dxdiag

After it finishes loading the general tab at bottom has a lil check box for whql un check it.

Wont work tho if you dont have admin rights.

log on as admin to use this game and direct x

I got a chill reading this. I did the same exact thing, installed it on a parents computer who had a horrible video card, just to see what the game looked like (obviously terrain was black, etc.) then brought it to college...my machine has the exact same specs as yours...and I have installed it 3 times, every time it says everything is installed...but the sound files can never be found under assets or anywhere. Incredibly frustrating. Anyway, good luck getting the game installed, hopefully the Whql thing will work.

Actually I tried it but the whql thing does not seem to be working either....:(

I will be upgrading my system soon and will try once again after I have re-installed XP with the new Specs...

One of my friends here suggests it could be a problem with Windows XP itself, since I donot have even SP 1...so maybe upgrading Windows XP may solve the problem.

Right now it is a sort of blessing that Civ IV is not working. I am getting a little work done ahead of deadlines;)

I'd say you're low on memory - I wouldn't try and run anything on a 256 meg XP system, By the time you get done loading all the concurrent programs you're going to be way too low. Get yourself to 512 meg at least.

Top Bottom