1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unvassalizing

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by redazncommieDXP, Jan 14, 2008.

1. redazncommieDXP

redazncommieDXP Warlord

I've accumulated a lot of vassals through capitulation, but now I'm sick of them and it's time to annihilate them. How can I devassalize them so I can attack them?

2. PimpyMicPimp

PimpyMicPimp Regrets His Username.

You can't, unfortunatly. A silly mechanic in my opinion.

3. Refar

Refar Deity

Declare war on someone else - who has boarders with your Vassal...

4. Woody1

Woody1 Prince

Sure you can.
    Open up worldbuilder (ctrl+W), and choose diplomacy. Select your vassal, and remove the option that says "Vassal of xxx".

5. redazncommieDXP

redazncommieDXP Warlord

I ended up using the worldbuilder trick... silly civ.

6. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

I think if you demand stuff from them and they refuse, it's an automatic declaration of war. Try demanding ridiculous amounts of stuff from them to get them to refuse your demands (and if they don't...free stuff!!!) :lol:

i.e. when you demand it from them, there should be an option on the trade table that says "Time for your tribute! Refusal means WAR!!!"

7. Way_Traveler

Way_Traveler Warlord

The vassals system is broken. After frustrating experiences like that, I just turned the damn thing off and kept it that way.

[I did consider using the World-Builder to just end a vassal relationship, but it seemed unfair, since my rivals couldn't do that]

8. IronCrown

IronCrown Black Foe of the World

I you want to win by conquest, don't take vassals. First making them your vassals and then destroying them would be cheating and an exploit.

9. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

even if it says refusal means war, I've never actually gotten it i don't think. It just increases the you made an arrogant demand modifier.

10. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

The Time for your Tribute thing only works once, the rest is "Can you spare this for a good friend?"

There should be an option to demand tribute, even if they're a friend of yours, because sometimes you want something by force

11. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Don't take Vassals unless you want to be stuck with them.

If an AI offers Vassalship, take it as they can end the relationship too, and will do if you get mean with them.

12. Monohielo

Monohielo Chieftain

I don't remember if I had done this in BTS or if it was in Warlords, but I was able to release a vassal by going to the "What are the current deals we have together" screen, and canceling the vassal option listed there.

13. Shakauvm

Shakauvm Chieftain

Vassals are broken in the Civ IV AI. I tend to turn them off entirely.

14. Mehmed II

Mehmed II Ottoman Empire

I only take vassals, when the game is almost over, because it gives a nice amount of points and then when I'm aiming for conquest victory. Otherwise, vassals are useless.

15. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Almost right... If you want to win by Conquest, make Everyone your Vassal. (or Permanent ally, or eliminate them)

16. tempacc

tempacc Chieftain

The trouble is, the vassal can red-out the things s/he does not want to trade or give away, which means that they can choose not to give you something and not have you declare war on them. Completely broken.

17. Way_Traveler

Way_Traveler Warlord

Tempacc nailed it in one. You should be able to demand anything, up to and including cities (probably excluding the capital). If they don't want to give up their big production city, time for war again.

18. Fistleaf

Fistleaf Chieftain

A vassal is not a slave state so you cannot demand everything from them. Think of them as protectorates, you agree to protect them and they agree to fight at your side.

19. hest

hest Chieftain

Are the vassals still allowed to conduct massive espionage invasions on their master?

20. IronCrown

IronCrown Black Foe of the World

Not with Bhruic's patch.

The vassal feature is far from perfect, but if you could demand anything at any time, that would be broken. You drag your vassal into a war and he fights and dies valiantly beside you, and then some years later you just say 'me wants everything you have, precious' and if he doesn't give in, you destroy his cities? He couldn't even defend because he lost his troops in your war.

Imagine the real-world situation. No government would or could act like this... even a dictator like Hitler or Stalin needs pretexts for wars, and finding a pretext for a war against a close ally isn't quite so easy.

I think a good solution would be that you can cancel a vassal agreement after x turns and after that there is a period of additional x turns during which you cannot declare war. This should be more than 10 turns, maybe 20 or 30.