1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Upcoming content

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by alancsilver, Jul 22, 2020.

1. alancsilver

alancsilver Warlord

AsH2, Kjimmet, Uberfrog and 3 others like this.
  2. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I’m certainly looking forward to the future DLCs.

That said, I think the Apocalypse and Secret Societies DLC and Game Modes are pretty solid. I think they could both use a little more polish, but that’s okay, and overall they’re really good additions to the game.

I’m also a little embarrassed some people have made such a big deal about “Vampires” being in the next DLC. Honestly. It’s an optional mode. But even leaving that aside, the mechanics are actually pretty good, and the implementation really isn’t over the top.

I mean, I’m okay with people wishing FXS had implemented these mechanics a bit differently, but some things I’ve heard people say are incredibly reductive and over blown. When FXS are having say again and again “it’s optional! We hear you! No more vampires etc.” and then repeat that all again on Twitter... well... Sigh. I don’t know. I guess it’s just “the Internet”. But really, people, it’s okay for designers to experiment. They’re allowed to try stuff out. That’s how we end up getting better stuff. And, yeah, it’s okay for people not to like those experiments and say so. But some people should think about toning down the rhetoric a little and being more willing to give stuff a go.

Anyway. Not planning to argue about this stuff with people. But I know FXS read these threads, and just want them to understand not everyone is up in arms about things like vampires or agree with some of the more strident language about these topics.

3. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Seems we were not strident enough about modding, I would have loved to experiment with civ6 too...

Meluhhan, Wolffleet, glider1 and 2 others like this.
  4. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

As long as one more Southeast Asian civ joins the party, I will be happy with whatever is new and devs can go nuts with their creative side

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

It's understandable that they wanted to get out the OP modes at the front and focus on smaller historical modes that you will want to leave on all the time in the background later.
    You've already hooked people with the first two, for better or worse, and that at least gets the info out there.

acluewithout likes this.
  6. Vrenir

Vrenir King

My theory is that maybe the first two modes were the result of free experimentation, like Red Death. When they decided to move forward with a series of modes, it would have made sense to migrate in-house "fun" prototypes into that format. They would be first because they were already somewhat developed.

Of course, that might be entirely off base, but I think Red Death had that story, so clearly there is a spirit of free experimentation in the Firaxis offices, which can sometimes lead to full implementation.

7. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

I think this is highly likely. I just wish they would be a little bit more upfront about what is planned for the later releases.

Eagle Pursuit and acluewithout like this.
  8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

These modes definitely do feel "Red Death" inspired. The Red Death is obviously what happens after the apocalypse and I guess the vampires are self explanatory.

9. glider1

glider1 Deity

Yes the modders have been checkmated unfortunately. Firaxis marketing worked out that you can monetize what is nothing more than a game option in the setup menu to become a sellable "game mode" risk free and subsequently stop the open source modding community dead in it's tracks. Very smart actually. We should see other 4x companies copying this idea. What is even smarter by the marketing department is that they worked out how to sell products to consumers before having produced anything which is the ultimate checkmate of consumers themselves.

10. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I was a long time defender of the devs in the "they limit modding to sell more DLC" discussions, but I'm slowly adopting this theory.

For example, the Economy and Diplomacy mechanism is one of the things that are locked from modding, and now it seems that "alternate economy" will be one of their pay mode...