Upcoming Meteor Storm

With my luck it will be cloudy that night.

*Goes and checks the forecast*

Yup...

Thu Night
NOV 21
Showers Early
--33°
50%
WNW 15 mph 86%

Rain showers early with overcast skies late. Low 33F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Rain predicted here too.

Thanks for this, would miss otherwise (even in theory). Seems that I'm too far to east (57N/26E) to see but I guess it might be worth to just try.

I have to assume that there's too much light pollution for me to see it even if the forecast weren't predicting a cloudy night

We're having snow this week (it's snowing right now).

I know :( I felt I was slighting your greatest contribution to CFCOT

But I kinda figured space cadets would have known about this event so I reached for a larger audience

I like story behind this. So tiny stream of debris (some 50'000 km wide.. so Earth literally fly through it in like 30 or something minutes and people have seen this specific storm so few times at all) from still unknown comet that might visit inner part of Solar system just like once per five centuries. Since flying around Solar system was my favorite thing to do for some time, it kind of made my mind realize and accept these scale difference between huge distances between any object in space, object small size by itself (even Jupiter or Saturn ir small when think about its orbit length and distance between etc.) and same time how "lucky" can be for some of them to interact in such a wonderful way.

Damn, we just missed the Leonids

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/everything-you-need-to-know-leonid-meteor-shower

thats a shower that can become a storm every 33 years

In 1966, observers in the southwest United States reported seeing 40 to 50 meteors per second (that’s 2,400 to 3,000 meteors per minute!) during a span of 15 minutes on the morning of November 17, 1966.

I think I went outside in '99 expecting a big show but it fizzled as I recall. Unfortunately we have a better than 50% chance of clouds tomorrow night.

Top Bottom