1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UPCOMING MOD! Julius Caesar's Campaign in Gaul

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Saturn6, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

(chuckle) Let's not be too critical MaisseArsouye. I downloaded Traianus' map, and although it may be inaccurate, if certainly shows some considerable effort.

I sure hope my map pasts muster, MaisseArsouye. I'm going to go and post it on the front page of Creation and Customization.

2. MaisseArsouye

MaisseArsouye gentil petit nuton

I don't like to be critical. And I usually don't post to say something negative. But this mod is VERY interesting and I would like it to be as good as possible. Nothing personnal with Traianus who's helping the best he can ! I just think this mod should be based on RedAlert's map of France ;)

Would you need more leader names ? I can try to complete my xls file.

3. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

Well, we got a lot from Traianus' map, so we shouldn't need that many. Might as well to make sure we can cover all the tribes. And I do agree with you. This is mod is very interesting and it should only be the best that it can be.

4. John_Deere

John_Deere Nothing Runs Like A Deere

I wonder how Traianus is doing. He hasn't posted recently. Anyway, I going to look for units that can be used in this mod, if Saturn6 says its okay.

5. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

Sure John Deere, you can go and look for possible units. If you see any you like, just post here and tell me, and I'll gi and edit the units page.

I'm working on the civilopedia, and I don't know when I'll be done, but I expect to have the units finished within two weeks.

6. Traianus

Traianus Why is it dark in here?

Hi all!
    Good to see i've been missed! Before I say anything, i realise that the physical features were out on my map. When i started to place cities I realised that the central alps and lake geneva, etc. were way too high. It was a makeshift job i did to fix it and i had planned to go back and build the landscape around the cities. I never did after because i decided to help out here instead. I posted the map only so that the data within it might prove useful. And it appears it has... which is nice!
    Anyway, i've tried again to download the map and it's not happening. Could one of you upload it or maybe email me it?
    Seems no-one wants to build the tidal wave for us! not a single response. If one of you want you could try bump the thread.(I'd feel like a loser bumping my own thread!!)
    as soon as i have the map i'll start on the techs, so any ideas there are welcome and needed.
    P.S. I forgot to say, "Happy One-Hundreth Post, Saturn!!" :goodjob:

7. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

Thanks Traianus. It's truly a pity that no ne could build a tidal wave, but I'll see what I can do.

How's the tech tree coming along?

8. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

I'm working on the civilopedia as I'm typing this. I just got through a ton of the units, and I'm to get in as many as I can tonight.

New Unit Info
    British War chariot has the Transport ability.
    Gallic Warrior requires no resources to build.
    British hunter has stealth attack, and requires no resources to build.

P.S John Deere - could you upload the map for me so maybe Traianus can view it.

9. Traianus

Thanks Saturn. I'm ready to start work on the tech tree but I don't feel there's much point doing anything til I get a look at the map otherwise I'll just have to copy it all over again. So i'm just scribbling away on a note pad for the mo. If you can, try to give me an overview of 'when' you want certain units or buildings, etc. to become available.

I like the Chariot transport idea. Maybe you could give the british celts amphibious attack. then the chariot pulls up, two or three lads attack from within and the chariot pulls away again.

@John. If you can upload that for me i'd be greatful. can't understand why i can't view from the normal link. also, please expand on the ideas you had for the tech tree. I'm not much of an RPG'er!

10. John_Deere

Everyone is online right now who posted on this page!
    Sure. I'll upload it now Traianus. I sent a pm to utahjazz, to see if he would make a unit for us. That was almost a week ago, and I haven't heard back from him.

Sorry I forgot to put more info on RGP stuff. Heres a list of possible techs.
    Inspire(already know that one)
    Ambition
    Speechcraft
    Taunt
    Praise
    Compromise
    Generousity
    Mercy
    Cruellty

Here's some techs that were notable things that Caesar did.
    Eat with Troops
    Sleep on ground
    Lead into battle

Is this enough?

Attached Files:

11. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

Okay Traianus: I want the tenth legion to be somewhat early in the game, during the Conquest of Gaul. Gallic allies would come during late Conquest of Gaul, or early Pacifism of Gaul. All of the other roman units will be avaliable at the start. I need a little time to determine improvements and such, and then factor in wonders which haven't even been though of. I'm still pumping away at the civilopedia for the units.

I don't see how the amphibious attack ability would work, because it only allows for a unit to attack from the sea, not a land unit to attack a ship. Also, the Britons will not have any ships(except the tidal wave).

@John Deere - See if you can get the map up soon so Traianus can start working on the tech tree.

12. Traianus

I can't understand it but it still won't download for me. It's bugging me now! :mad: Could one of you try e-mail it to me if I PM you the address?

Re: the amphibious attacks. I've never experimented with land transports before. I meant that the Britons could attack Roman land units directly form the chariots. Is this possible already?

I've also PM'ed a few unit creators re: the wave idea.

I'd love to get cracking on the tree this w'end.

13. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

Post in the Technical forum, and see if anyone there can help you out. And yes, it is possible for the Britons to attack from the chariot. However, when it does this, it leaves the chariot, so we would need to have 2 mov. at least.

For the tech tree, I think you should decide when things come in, because it is your work, and so that way you could make it flow really smooth, between different techs. Once you're done, I'll take a look at it, and make sure it fits gameplay. If, before you really get into it, want to have me review it, just go into Paint, and draw up a tech tree and then put text boxes where words are need. The RPG items by John Deere do look good, and would add a bit of uniqness to the game. But it is up to you Traianus, to decide what you do and don't want. I also posted additional units we needed to be have made, on your tidal wave thread. Additionally, if some of those unit creators say they can help out, we'll be in good shape.

Also, I think I'm going to scrach the Triari, the Hastae, and Principae and just make one base, Roman Legionary unit. Anyone have any comments or views on this? Feel free to post them, and we'll see what we can do.

Since it appears no one had posted on Roman Legion's Wonder Lottery thread, I'd guess it's over. Hopefully we'll win. Anyone who has ideas or pics for the wonder(in case we win) will be apreaciated if they share their ideas here. I really don't mind how it looks like, just as long as its accurate and looks good.

The units civilopedia entries should be done by Saturday, if work keeps as a steady pace. I'll post it here for review and scrutiny to the fullest extent. Nice work for all those who have posted here, and I say keep it up!

14. Traianus

I've had no word back on the Technical forum so i'll follow your advice about mocking up the tech tree first. I'm a bit worried about this. It will be difficult to contribute if I can't access the biq. I wonder if someone was to open your biq, then hit the save button and upload it again, would that solve it. The reason I ask is that i've opened tons of other files from the forums without problem. I think it may be that my civedit just doesn't like yours! it happens.

Re: The legions. What do you think about doing something like the rise of rome scenario where the legionary could be upgraded(representing their growing campaigning experience).
    Re: The wonder lottery. Did you see the image I posted there? I might just try to do the wonder myself. Is there much to it or is it just about a few graphics for the splash, pedia, etc.? If so, I'll do it, and any others you need.
    Finally, tnx John_Deere for the RPG ideas. I think they rock also and I'll be glad to include them.

In case I don't hear from you, have a good w'end. !!Hail the Triumvirate!!

15. Traianus

16. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

Hi, Traianus' link in Technical Support led me here. :)

"The Compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted."

Perhaps if you reupload it, it will work again.

17. John_Deere

I found these possible units Saturn6:
    Beserker -- Beserk by Aluminium
    Swordsman -- Chuchulainn by Kinboat
    German Cavalry -- Death Knight by Yaniv
    War Chariot -- Etruscan War Chariot by Bebro

For the Venetii
    Merchant Ship by Kryten
    Medievial Galley by Aaglo

You can go look at this units at www.civ3files.com

18. jobiwan7

jobiwan7 Jedi Scholar

19. Traianus

Sorry to be a pain re: my problem with the biq but it appears I'm not the only one who can't open it. Look here.

20. John_Deere

All we need now is for Saturn6 to upload it again.....

The Beserker seems good to me. The German Cavalry is "iffy", only because it seems to colorful to me. But I thank Jobiwan for offering suggestions.