1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UPCOMING MOD! Julius Caesar's Campaign in Gaul

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Saturn6, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Traianus

Traianus Why is it dark in here?

I've made a start on the tree. I'm just cut n' pasting a preview together for the mo. I reckon i'll have a mock up of the first era for you to look at by end of week. Anyone with any more ideas for techs should tell me now.

2. Traianus

While working on the tree I had an idea. it'll only be of any use if Saturn has plans to use a king unit for Caesar. :king:
    I was going to include a tech called caesar's guard or bodyguard. After researching it you would be able to upgrade caesar to a multi figure unit that would include his germanic cavalry bodyguard and would have some kick ass stats. Of course it would mean that we have to go begging another unit...

Any thoughts?

3. John_Deere

John_Deere Nothing Runs Like A Deere

I like the sound of it. THe only thing is: Can we change the game so that when a player captures a chief(of a tribe), the player gets control of all of the cities under his control? I think it would be better this way, then in Civ3, because when you capture a city, the entire civ is eliminated. A leaderless tribe could easily be swayed to the victor, so I think we should make it like that in the game.

Where art thou Saturn6?

4. Traianus

That's a question you would have to post in the general discussions forum. Have to say, I doubt it's possible but I could be wrong.

Another idea. A tech called Roman Enterprise which lets you build a wonder called Merchants Guild which produces a unit called Merchant(in Latin??). There are numerous mentions of Roman merchants all over Gaul during the conquest. We could make them invisible and they could enslave.(To what, I'm not sure yet!) The ancient GL or the Alexander unit would be suitable, I think.

Where is Saturn? Where is our Caesar?:king:

5. John_Deere

I like the idea. I think that's what Saturn6 was trying to say with the converter unit?? Anyways, I think that we should use the pictish warrior for the Nervian Beserk.

6. Traianus

Sorry(Saturn6). I should have said that it was the converter idea that got me thinking on that one. The Romans, being less superstitious(less than the Gauls, anyway!), I felt that something other than a religious unit was needed on that side of the equation. Well. We'll see what Saturn thinks of it first.

He's uploaded v0.3 of the map so i'll see if i can view it now.

Here's my rough(very) draft of the first era tech tree. All comments and suggestions are welcome. As you can see I still need a graphic for Inspiration so if you see one please forward to me. Also, I realise that most people don't use the metallic interface. The final version will be on vanilla's interface.
    P.S. This is not a screenshot. It's a cut n' paste job so feel free to suggest vast changes if need be.

7. Traianus

Eh, where is everyone? Did someone go and release Civ4 early and not tell me?:lol:
    Well, busy little me was bored at lunch so I put something together for you all to have a look at. What think ye?
    Sure, it great being a celt! (Won't be when this mod is finished, though! :cry: )

This has it's own thread now

8. Heniu

Heniu Chieftain

Why aren't here any screenshots? I'd like to know how does the scenario look before I download it...

Traianus - the diplo table looks nice but will it be legible in the game?

9. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

I get an error while trying to open the ZIP file:
    "tHE Zip file is damaged or incomplete"

Is it just me or somebody else had it?

10. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

This mod has some interesting ideas and looks like it'll be really good. I like the Celtic diplomacy screen above by Traianus.
    I'm not too sure about "speechcraft" - perhaps "oration" might be better?
    If you need any leaderheads for this mod, I've done an "ancient pack" of 10 leaderheads, including Roman and Gaul, which is available here. There is a much more dedicated set coming out on Sept 7th with Anno Domini. You'll be able to see the leaderheads for this on my website (see my signature for the link).

11. Traianus

@Heniu. I tried the diplo table in game and it's hard to make out some text but I expected as much. I'll make some changes to it. Just wanted to see what people thought of it.

@Luther. Hello again, my student of English! I have been getting the same problem with the biq. I'm sure Saturn's going to look after it in time. Seems to be only some of us who are experiencing this problem.

@R8XFT. Thanks for the leaderheads. I'm sure Saturn will have use for them. As for 'Speechcraft', well that was a suggestion made to me by John_Deere. I don't know which would be better so i f anyone else has an opinion plaese let me know.

12. John_Deere

Looks good Traianus. I think "oration" would be better than speechcraft. Also, I think that we should use the Trajan leaderhead for Caesar instead of vanilla's. It looks awesome!

13. Traianus

Oration it is, then.
    That's 30 posts, JD. You gonna get a new avatar?
    I had a look and the Trajan LH is very cool. Anyone know what's going on with Saturn6? I really want to hear what he thinks about the tech tree so far so we can move forward.

14. Traianus

Ok. The diplo table is retouched to make the in-game text more legible. I won't have access to a pc with civ on it for a few days so would someone mind testing this for me. If it's ok i'll get to work on a full set of interfaces.
    Just make sure to back up your original 'counter.pcx' then rename this one to same in the same folder.
    Edit: Consider and Talk_offer added today

This has it's own thread now

15. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

I know I've been gone a long time when the map download count read 13, or so when I last saw it. Today, it read 261. Wow.

I'm sorry I've been gone so long guys. Things have been very busy, and will continue so for less than 2 weeks, but then I will be here about every day.

Anyways, the tech tree looks awsome Traianus! The diplo scene is pretty good, but I can't wait to look at the improved one. I am going to reload the map for you, and what you need, just tell me.

Map edition 3.0 removed after 261 views.

16. John_Deere

Good to see you Saturn! Didn't know what happened to you. Looks to me as if the whole team is here :).

@Traianus - I'm going to change my avatar to the John Deere logo shortly....when can I chage the little text underneath my name?

17. Traianus

You should be able to do that now also. Congrats on attaining forum manhood![party]:goodjob::lol:
    It appears that Romanlegion's lottery wasn't actually a lottery at all since he just just picked the idea he liked best in the end. So i'll do any wonder graphics that are needed. Can someone just tell me if there's any more to it than doing the splash and civ-pedia icons?
    Bad news! I still can't download the map. If I can't, then others will probably have a problem with it too.

Another quick idea. How about the Wickerman as a small wonder for the gallic tribes? I have graphics that could be used.

18. John_Deere

Thanks Traianus! I don't know how to make wonders, so I cannot offer you assitance on that. :(

BTW - what's a wickerman?

19. Traianus

After looking into it further I'm not sure about this idea. Supposedly, The wicker man was a huge effigy made of wicker, inside which would be placed human sacrifices. The whole contraption was then set on fire.
    The problem is that many people now regard this as nothing more than propaganda on Caesar's part and there are no real alternative accounts of it and no archaeological remains have been found. I think it would add flavour in the game but I'm not sure it would be in the bast interest of historical accuracy.
    Maybe someone else has an opinion on this? I would like to hear it.

20. John_Deere

I'm going to go and look for more units to be used for this mod, if anyone has suggestions just post here.

@TraianusIt could work. There wouldn't be any evidence because wood decays over time. Am I wrong? BTW, have you seen the scenario map yet? And I will get my avatar changed, as soon as I can open up my editing program.