1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UPCOMING MOD! Julius Caesar's Campaign in Gaul

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Saturn6, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Traianus

Traianus Why is it dark in here?

Hey! You claimed post #100 too!
    Unfortunately, no. I still haven't seen the map, which is slightly frustrating at this stage. I could have had a lot done with it by now. One thing is certain though. I'm not the only one with this problem so we need to work it out, otherwise a lot of people won't be able to play this mod.
    Did you try resaving on your machine before uploading?

On another note. Here is something I found reagrding Lutetia. It might spawn an idea or two;

Based on archaeological finds in the general area, trade goods came from other parts of Gaul, Iberia, Italy and Greece. Fragments of Italian amphorae have been discovered in an old well near the French Senate. The well also contained the remains of a warrior or cavalry man who may have been in the service of Rome near the end of the Republic. His costume has a strange mixture of Gallic and Roman elements. Another find from the well was a Gallic gold coin with the inscription "VENEXTOS". These artifacts are dated between 60 and 30 BCE.

Also, on Bibracte;

Excavations at Bibracte have revealed a vast area of 330 acres, as well as many pre-Roman dwellings, a temple of Bibractis, and the workshops of iron. and bronze workers and enamellers.

This comes form this site where there is loads more info and maps and stuff.

2. Traianus

3. John_Deere

John_Deere Nothing Runs Like A Deere

I like the alt. diplo much better.

Too bad you haven't seen the map. Hopefully we can work something out with Saturn6. I got an idea while looking at the Samartian Swordsman. I think we should add a civ or two to the entire area east of Gaul. Perhaps all the units could be immobile, but if you capture a city you get lots of VP.

4. Traianus

Yeah. I really think that would be suitable. They should be real nightmares to capture, though. Only the best players will want to try it while still maintaining a win in the main game itself. Has Saturn6 specified any victory conditions in the biq?
    Anyway, when Saturn6 gets back in action, we should soon be able to close in on getting a playable version together.

5. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

Soon my schedule will clear up....so soon. Then we can get right back to work, diving head-first in!

I agree with JohnDeere. This alternative diplomacy scene appeals to me. That site you provided us with was so good, that I bookmarked it. It wil definetely come in handy in the upcoming weeks.
    I'm going to finish up the civilopedia entries for the units as soon as my time opens up...which should be soon.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

6. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

I am resuming work right now on the civilopedia. It should be done by the weekend.

7. Traianus

Hi Saturn. Good to see you on again. I've been as busy as I can be without access to the biq. I hope we can get that sorted soon. I feel there are great things to come in this project.
    I redid the alternative diplo screens using advice given by Vuldacon. He's been really helpful regarding getting the best from Paintshop(alltough I use Gimp aswell). The result is a more natural look. I'm going to have a look at other graphics in the game which can be customised to suit the scenario.
    I've now completed the wonder graphics for the Druidic Coucil. I also did a set for the Wicker Man but I'm having real second thoughts about the idea. The more I read, the more I'm convinced the thing never actually existed. I'm going to post in the world history forum to get more opinions.
    I'm reading a book called 'The Druid King' now. It's the Gallic Wars but written as a novel and from the perspective of Vercingetorix growing up. Reading the other side of the story might open up some new ideas.
    Right! See you all Monday!

8. John_Deere

After viewing the world history thread started by Traianus, the Celts dis use wickerman's.

9. Aeon221

Aeon221 Lord of the Cheese Helmet

http://classics.mit.edu/Caesar/gallic.html

Just something you might want to check out... its Caesar's Commentaries on the Gaulic Wars in an online version. Not sure if you already had access to it or something but its pretty fun to read and full of information you could use.

Have fun!

10. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

Thanks Aeon221. Even though I have already looked at those, poeple who are new to the Gallic Wars will defenitely use these to help themselves out.

This is my last clogged day. Tomorrow, I'll have plenty of time to work!

11. John_Deere

@Aeon221 - Thank you for the link.

Looks like I need something to do....next time Traianus checks in, he should assign something to do....

P.S. Good Luck Saturn6!

12. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

Victory Conditions:
    As of right now, I'm heavily leaning towards VP, but if someone could give me some solid reasons, I could be pushed another direction. IF you set a high VP condition, this would force the player to ininiate a war with the other civs which were not conquered by Caesar.

Units:
    I believe I am going to make one base, roman legionary unit for the Romans. It is simply to inaccurate to have the manipular form long after the Marian reforms. Any opinions on this would be helpful.

The Map:
    I'm going to get back into the map shortly, and make some updates/improvements to make it more enjoyable and accurate.

And as always, anyone can feel free to post comments, opinions, ideas and links here.

13. stupidg

stupidg Chieftain

Hello,

I just got into Civ3 within the past month, and I am relativelt new to the forums. I had a couple of ideas, but I don't know if they would work with what you are thinking of. Does this require Conquests, cause I am having some problems with it. That said, these thoughts are from somebody who hasn't seen it yet :)

Everytime you get a new leader it could be a different aspect of Caesar, so the leader you have is always "Caesar." He could be used to either build an Army of a particular set of units (like a legion of Centurions), or a Wonder that coresponds to a given trait/skill. For example, Caesar spoke like 20 different languages, so when he spoke to the tribes he was received much better than other Romans. Getting the leader "Caesar the Linguist" could grant an embassy with every tribe, and lessen the amount of money required to subvert a city by 25%.

I don't know if you are still using the city improvements from before, but the Baths should require an aquaduct to build. It would be cool to use the latin names for all of the improvements too, Thermae for baths, etc...

I like the idea of the tech tree being attributes of Caesar. It gives the impression that the growth of the empire is intrisically linked to the power of Caesar.

For government types, Despotism makes the most sense, even though the government was a republc, Caesar was truly the head of the armies in Gaul.

I really like the idea of Caesar in Gaul. I can't wait to see the final version. This is very cool, and very in depth.

14. gael

gael Ard Ri

Some euro leaderheads on my sig, don't know if they'll be any good to you.

15. Traianus

Hi all,
    @ Saturn. The only other idea I had re: victory cond.s was a modified spaceship victory like in RFRE. The only thing is that it's an RFRE idea and I'd prefer us to maybe come up with something new.(Damn you Pinktilapia for having so many good ideas!) Maybe a domination vic.?
    I agree totally with the Legio question. It has to be one unit. What are you planning for the LegioX? Will it be a single unit or multiple cohortes spawned by a wonder?
    I still haven't been able to see the map yet and others have reported the problem too. Any ideas?
    I've done all wonder graphics for Druidic Council and The Wickerman. Any more you need me to tackle? Legio X?

@ John_Deere. Maybe Saturn would know better than me what needs doing next. I still can't see the map so I don't know what needs attention. What area would you like to work on?
    One thing you could do is to open the map on your machine and re-save it. If you get it to me then maybe I'll be able to view it.
    BTW, is it wickermans or wickermen? :confused::p It's actually two words so... Wicker men??

@ Gael. Greetings, High King! Some of those LH's are excellent. I hope Saturn uses them. The ones R8FXT offered for use were great too so I think we should have enough there.
    It's a shame there's no Hibernia in Red Alert's map. It would be cool if the player could go one step further than Caesar did!

@ Stupidg. Thanks for some good suggestions. For his part, I'm sure Satrun will consider them. For my part, I will include linguistics in the tech tree as another of the rpg inspired techs. This started as a John_Deere idea and will probably become one of the best 'new' things in this mod IMHO.
    The only problem I have with your ideas is the Thermae requiring Aqueduct. What about riverine citiesthat don't require an aqueduct?
    You're right about despotism but despotism sounds wrong for Romans. How about Provincial Governance?

It's nice to see our work generating some interest. It's great to be part of this great project. Thanks to Saturn for welcoming me on board :goodjob:. I hope we can do justice to the Aedui, Arverni, Treveri, etc. And, indeed, to the Romans too!

16. stupidg

stupidg Chieftain

Hmm, I hadn't thought of the fact that river cities then couldn't build thermae. the thing is though, if there wasn't an aqueduct they had problems with water preasure and stuff. The needed some kind of water resevoir in order to build baths. It might just have to be something that remains inaccurate.

This really is a cool project.

17. John_Deere

The Leader Heads are really good! They should definetely be used for something!

18. John_Deere

Where'd did everyone go, eh?

Personally, I think that we should just scratch the different legionary types, and just have one legionary unit for the Romans.

19. Saturn6

Saturn6 Emperor Caesar

I'm really close to finishing the units civilopedia entries! Just 5 more to go!

I've scratched the manipular unit idea, and it has been replaced by a single legionary.

@Traianus - The Tenth Legion wonder will respawn about every 30 turns. It would be great if you could make the wonder. It will be tough to decide what that should be. Perhaps Caesar on a podium addressing troops? For a victory condition much like the Space Ship, perhaps it could be finishing all of Caesar's commentaries, or building a great monument, that would require goods from around the map. A domination victory would be nice, forcing the player to invade Germania, Briton, and perhaps spur on the civil war.

@stupidg - I think that a form of despotism is a good idea, because you're right - there was no republic in Gaul. I definetely think your on to something with your Caesar idea, and hopefully we can find the leaderheads needed for that. And Yes, it does require Conquests.

@Gael - Thanks for the leaderheads, and they will be implemented in the game.

@John_Deere - Feel free to work on the map, and make changes. Also save the map to your computer, and then see if Traianus can view it.

Thanks to everyone for their hard and continued work.

20. Traianus

Ok. I'm working on the Legio X wonder graphics. If any of you can find a graphic for their standard it would help. I have a good colour image of Caesar and of troops in formation.

Re: Victory conditions. Excellent ideas! How about having to complete each of the books of commentaries in order to build 'Caesars Triumph' and have each part dependant(as you said) on a resourse from one of the various tribes. We would need a good sized image of a Roman Triumphal parade.
    An alternative could indeed be domination but you would have to control much more of the map than caesar actually did.

Nice new look, John_Deere!!