1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming War

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by funxus, Jan 16, 2003.

1. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

Scandinavia Military units:
    Lindholm 3 RM
    Aarhus 2 RM
    Trondheim 1 RM, 1 cannon, 1 vet cannon
    Kaupang 3 RM
    Hladir 1 RM, 1 dragoon
    Vib 1 dragoon, 1 dip
    Birka 1 RM, 1 none RM
    Erik 1 RM
    Upps 1 RM
    LM 1 RM, 1 dip
    WN 2 RM
    Jorvik 2 RM, 1 dragoon, 1 dip

Outside in Scandinavia:
    1 RM, 1 dip in fortress
    1 caravel
    1 caravel w dragoon

Main:
    Routskilde 1 none dragoon
    BB builds caravel

So we have totally
    8 free riflemen, no vet
    5 dragoons (2 are for protection) 1 vet
    2 cannons, 1 vet
    6 dips
    in the area.

Is this enough or do we need to build up our army?
    I'm not usually for fighting with riflemen, but we have quite a few of them. I think most people agree with not sending our forces to unknown territory, so we need to get a map of Spain. Either we move in a few dips and caravels and explore (risky), or we try to find someone who knows their map (maybe russians). We have quite a few units, but the army is not huge and I think we're still better off bribing the cities, but maybe we should do a combination and capture the capital and then bribe.

There are a few cities that can support some more units in the region: Erik, Birka, LM, Jorvik, Skara, Rout. Shall we build units and rehome them here? Where shall we build them?

I'll have another look later on:)

2. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

The 2 cannons and 5 dragoons (soon to be Calvary) should be plenty to take out anything the AI has. Granted, we won't be taking 10 cities a turn with the force, but all we really need to do it drive to the capital, take that then buy up the pieces. The Riflemen are to provide cover and take care of fringe units that are outside the cities. Ideally, I'd like to get a group of engineers with that force. That way we can build railroads or fortress' as needed. Also, if we can get some cheap NONE's along that way, we should grab them.

3. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Nice start of a plan :goodjob:

Elysium has a None Dragoon which needs to stay there. Hips has a Dragoon ready to travel, unless we need it to worry about the Indian Invaders, an Elephant and Knight iirc. I mentioned elsewhere that one of the Routs Rifles in Mulled could walk over to rehome in Hips. It can stay there until the Indians are expelled, so the Hips Dragoon is available in 3 turns.

We have 3 Rifles in Kaupang. One can walk to the fort, then Hladir, rehome temporarily there, then on to Birka, rehome there and move with the army. The Birka None, too.

4. funxus

Maybe we should try to get espionage before we launch the attack, or at least before we get to Madrid. It would make things cheaper and increase the chance of success, e.g. I assume there is a wall in Madrid that we'll need to take out.
    Lucky for us we have plenty of them:( . We'll be needing engineers everywhere, both expansion and improvement of RR and farmland, ut hopefully we can spare two at least.

I see there are a few cities guarded by dragoons (which we'll need), and other cities are guarded with three RM:s. Is it enough to defend a city with a diplomat, or shall we move riflemen to those cities in need?

5. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Once our railroad is completed on the main continent we can watch it with probabaly half the units we have watching it right now.

If we wanted to, we could use these next few turns to build an Ironclad and let it scout the coastline of the Spanish Continent(s). While that is happening, regroup our troops, let them upgrade to Calvary and start cutting down Spanish cities as part of exploring also. Plus, if we wanted, we could use a dip, investigate a Spanish city and see what their world looks like. Then we would know what landmasses they are on and can get an idea of where their cities are.

If their capital happens to be a coastal city, then the iron clad can work on emptying the city and our troops can just walk in and take it. Then just buy up the rest of the cities.

6. GaryNemo

Not sure which cities you see are guarded by only a Diplomat. Lone Bison, for example, is guarded perfectly by one Dip - Barbs have nowhere to land. IMHO IIRC.

Neuma has no guard, fine with me.

Hladir: The Ren Dragoon can travel, as can the Skara Rifle. Skara is choked, but for a reason: it is supporting our Glorious War Effort! Hladir then needs a guard, which we can pull from Kaupang and rehome in Hladir, leaving Kaupang with one Rifle as its guard. Hladir is doing its part: supporting a war Dragoon in the Caravel NW of Aarhus, and building Settlers to found cities.

After we've used the Scandanavian forts to shuffle units for rehoming, we should put them all to the torch.

Engineers are scarce, but I agree two invasion Engr would be valuable. They can build a fort in one turn iirc. Our Queen never has any qualms over picking an Engr and shipping it somewhere - that's why we're doing so explosively well! I'll take a look too.

7. GaryNemo

Duke, I totally agree with the Ironclad idea.

For a quick Ironclad, we could Rush Buy the Westness Temple for only £30. Then somehow quickly build an Ironclad there. It has 2 Rifle, we could cleverly combine IPRB and disband one Rifle for another 20 shields and be done, Vet, before we discover Magnetism. Magnetism will help happiness, convert Caravels to Galleons, but ruin our Lighthouse which builds all Ironclads Vet.

See anywhere else to build another quick Vet Ironclad?

8. funxus

Maybe we could RB the current build in Rout or Kaupang and build ironclads there, or we could sacrifice the units currently being built in Erik, Vib, or BB and switch them to ironclads. It'd be nice to have two or three of them if we want to empty some large coastal cities, maybe Madrid.
    I think I was mostly talking about Viborg and Rout, which will only be guarded with dips when the dragoons join the force going to Spain, but I also see there are a few cities with no guards ( Neuma and Oct), while their neighbours have two (Ren and MD) and I think it's better to spread the defence out until we can move a unit to a city in less than one turn. i.e. after railroad, or cities closer than three squares.:)

9. GaryNemo

Funxus: "Maybe we could RB the current build in Rout or Kaupang and build Ironclads there"

Routskilde will be perfect, we have money to RB improvements in good cities, and its War Dragoon was a casualty. Ditto Kaupang, only £40 for a needed Temple, and we have many other cities to support Rifles.

Eriksson: we need more Dips too ... ?
    Viborg: we can send either a Rifle or Dragoon, not both. Drag, eh?
    BB: Caravel appears needed, it will rehome in Lone Bison.

Dragoon in Routs is a None, I always thought we'd leave it there.
    Dip in Viborg will make a fine guard. We have Rifles coming out of our ears in Scandanavia anyway.
    Ren Rifles: an old mistake and excess. The war unit is a Dragoon available now in Hladir. We could first rehome one Ren Rifle in Neuma and ship it with you to Spain.

We could ask the people for more $Rush Buy funding,
    and heavy Ironclad $IPRB funding,
    and what to do with the None in Routskilde.

10. funxus

I didn't mean we needed to build ironclads in all of the cities I mentioned, they were only a few of the alternatives in the area.:)
    I agree Rout and Kaupang are good places for ironclads.
    Maybe we should make an economic plan to plan where to RB and IPRB and where it's not urgent to finish a build, including all cities? I mean, we have limited reserves and many cities are in need of money...

11. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Wow! What a lot of information. It would be a great help if someone could post a concise summary of troop movements, ironclad builds etc. I have my parents staying from this afternoon until Tuesday evening, leaving me little time to interpret posts before playing on Wednesday. The more time it takes me to do that, the fewer turns I can play.

12. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I think that before we're going to get rid of the Spanish we should send out ships to explore their coast. Maybe we want to build ironclads to do this.
    In that case we have some time to regroup (maybe in Jorvik?) and perhaps buy some extra boats to move the troops. We should also send some more dips and perhaps 2 engineers there.
    When the ironclads have returned they can accompany the transport-vessels to Spain. It would be a shame if a caravel with 3 units on board would be sunk now wouldn't it? :(

13. GaryNemo

Potential War Unit Support 1660AD

These cities could easily support another war unit (wu): TFalls Monks.Towne Octavia Melampyrum/Engr Prague Janus Kaupang Lindow.Moss Eriksson Birka.
    And much later: Lindholm Hamburg Gordium/Dragoon Triticum? Forest.Isle Vikingsnomore Salzburg Addict.Town

Nemo Bay: sw Van 43/50 to Dragoons in 2 ???

Partial list of other related activity:
    Reneaux: wu is Dragoons @ Hladir. Wait there one turn. Unfortify one Ren Rifle and walk South to Neuma, rehome there as Neuma wu.
    Banana Bay: wu Cannon @ Trond. Caravel in 3, rehome in Lone Bison.
    Trondheim: BB wu & Upps wu Cannon, ready to bonk heads!
    Lindholm: Fort Anarchy wu & CJ wu Rifles are ready to sail!
      also Skara Rifle, Hladir Dragoon are in Scandanavia
    Aarhus: one Rifle wu ready to go!
    Viborg: Rifle pillage fort, come back, Dragoon is then wu
    Westness: used in Temple and Ironclad plans
    Routskilde: let's keep None Dragoon here as a guard. Ironclad?
    Hips: Dragoon wu ready, but Indian Invaders, Rifle coming!
    Prague: rehome Mord Rifle here, helps Mord build
    Civvium: supporting Rifle now in Addict.Town, appropriate...
    Bedfont Lakes: time for a guard? war units?
    Gabba Gabba: supporting Rifle now in Antioch...
    Cold Front: Caravel IPRB $4 in 2? and rehome Dragoon FT?
    Frozen Toe: supporting Rifle now available Hamburg

Boreum has no Dragoon guard anywhere nearby, a problem.

14. funxus

I thought I would have got time to do that yesterday, but unfortunately my report took longer time than I hoped. I spent 12 h on it, and still it isn't ready, but what do you expect when you get most of your sources from IMF and the World Bank:( , I also had to write it in English...
    Well, I might have to work a bit more on it today and tomorrow, but probably will have time Wednesday morning to take a better look at it, since I'm off school.:)

15. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    The plan looks great Funxus.

I was wondering, I have notced that you do not have a Deputy. Can I be the Military Deputy Funxus :).

16. funxus

Sure, general:)

17. funxus

The main plan is to find madrid with ironclad scouts, move in dragoons and cannons to capture it, and then bribe spanish cities. So we're in need of caravels, ironclads, dragoons, cannons, riflemen and dips that we can transport to Spain.
    Ships:
    We have two caravels + 1 being built in the area, that means a total capacity of 9 units.
    The two ironclads should scout spain.

Caravel contents:
    1 (outside Lindh): 1 RM from Fortress (Vib), 1 cannon from Trond (Upps), 1 cannon from trond (BB)
    Ship then moves to LB to rehome BB cannon from Trond
    2 (north of Jorvik): 1 Dragoon already onboard (Hla), 1 dragoon from Jorvik (Tro), 1 dragoon from Hladir (Ren)
    3 (BB build): 1 dip from Vib (Vib), 1 dip from Vib (being built), 1 dip from Erik (being built)
    Jayne, depending on how it looks like around Madrid, maybe you should change two dragoons to two engineers.

Army
    The army consists of 1 RM, 2 cannons, 3 dragoons, 3 dips and 2 ironclads. Hopefully enough to capture Madrid and bribe a few cities.

Build plans
    Routskilde RB Courthouse, then Ironclad
    Kaupang RB Temple, then ironclad
    Erik Dip, buy when needed
    Vib Dip, buy when needed
    BB Caravel

Movements
    RM from fortress outside Kaupang move on boat 1
    Trondheim 2 cannons move on boat 1
    Boat 1 move to LB to rehome BB cannon in LB

Boat 2 moves to Jorvik
    Dragoon in Jorvik moves on boat 2
    Dragoon in Hladir moves to Lindholm
    Boat 2 moves to Lindholm
    Dragoon from Hladir in Lindholm moves on boat

Vib finsih dip
    2 dips in Vib moves to Eriksson
    Eriksson finishes dip
    3 dips in Erik move on boat

Move one Ironclad round the Valladolid peninsula
    Move the other between Cordoba and Barcelona

Comments
    We don't have enough boats to move all the units we want to Spain, so we'll need to transport more dips over there later on. They have quite a lot of money (1939g), so their cities will be pretty expensive, and maybe they even move the capital. I saw the Jorvik dragoon, and thought we might as well move it on a boat. It can't use its full movement potential in that city, and that city is well protected anyway.

I'm really sorry these plans are late and that they aren't perfect:( , so think about everything I wrote so that I didn't miss something important. Good luck:)

18. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Sorry if I've missed anything. I'd already moved units around by the time this was posted. Feel free to post an update before I finish the turn tomorrow (about 1045amGMT)