Update the English written language!

They speak English in Yorkshire?

I think it'd be better if a new language was invented (or use Esperanto) than change an already existing one. Too many people would refuse putting any work into re-learning their mother language.

Use spanish or italian where the pronuciation is clear (one letter, one sound) and fortget about english :D

Use spanish or italian where the pronuciation is clear (one letter, one sound) and fortget about english

Habla serio compadre!

Update it all you want. No one will change.

We didn't win the war for nothing!

Some things are weird indeed:

cat - car - care - catering

can't - can't
tomatoes - tomatoes

knife - wife - life ... night - knight - kite
nowhere - now - know - knowledge - Nottingham

But hey, I managed to learn!

Originally posted by Simon Darkshade
We didn't win the war for nothing!
You mean the current one, or dubya dubya 2? Hmm just realised that the current one could be called dubya 2 too. If it wasnt for dubya 2 we'd all be speaking perfect Iraqi right now(nods gravely for emphasis).

Keep with the Queen's English, by George.

Absolutely, Only dieing languages get this sort of tinkering.
nes pa?

What do you think slang is for?

Originally posted by Dumb pothead
You mean the current one, or dubya dubya 2? Hmm just realised that the current one could be called dubya 2 too. If it wasnt for dubya 2 we'd all be speaking perfect Iraqi right now(nods gravely for emphasis).

The latter. We didn't win three world wars, countless other wars, and conquer most of the planet to end up speaking like a waiter from Barcelona! :ack: Won't somebody please think of the hamsters!

:lol:If we change our language, the waiters from Barcelona have already won:lol: Sorted mate.

The latter. We didn't win three world wars, countless other wars, and conquer most of the planet to end up speaking like a waiter from Barcelona!

Only 3? And all that you keep after all is that tiny rainy island?

Originally posted by Pirate
What is "Esperanto?" Link please?
Esperanto is a constructed language with very simple grammar and pronouncing rules, at least for people with Indo-European mother tongues. Many people think of Esperanto as an ideal international language. The only problem is that virtually nobody speaks it:lol:. Here's an Esperanto link: http://www.esperanto.net/info/index_en.html

I'm talking about the English speaking world. We get all the good bits, and cricket; it's in the small print. It is very simple to speak proper English. 'Hello, how are you? I speak very good English. I learn it from a book.'

I think 4 world wars is the minimun so that your language becomes untouchable. You are very close, go for it!

English needs to be more like German in regards to spelling. High German words are spelled and pronounced the same way. Perhaps there could be some kind of compromise between German and English, with the new language using German spelling convention, but eliminating gender, adjective endings, and cases.

Worst English word: draught, pronounced draft. I didn't realize its correct pronunciation until I was 17. Can anyone think of an English word prounounced further from its actual spelling than that?

Top Bottom