Updated Units List February 28, 2011

Vuldacon

Dedicated to Excellence
Supporter
I Remade the Default Flcs with changed Offsets for about 50 Units that are in EFZI2 Complete and Updated the Units I have in the Database.

The Offset changes allow the Units to be seen better in the Bottom Right Game Unit Interface Box. Some were too high and some were too low.

Rather than make many Posts concerning these Unit Updates, I will simply provide this list for any of you who already have any of these Units and would like the Update.

You can either search the Database or view my Profile to see the list of Units I have uploaded that included these Units.

Units with Corrected Default Animation Offsets:
Omega Zombie
Cyclotron
M1 Mech
Monster Spider
The Terror
V1 Rocket and Extra Explosions
The Drunk
Captain Spiff
TARDIS
Killer Hornet and Hornet Nest Wonder
No CIV Specific Color Killer Hornet and Wonder
Monster Spider
Annihilator
Nasty Horror Package
Electronic Billboards Terrain and Work Files Pack
Farmhand
Armed Farmhand
Farmer Champion
Mortician and Mortician Coffin
DaVinciTank (This is the Smaller Tank I resized)

The Offset changes allow the Units to be seen better in the Bottom Right Game Unit Interface Box.
It also changes their position on their tile, right ? Could you post a preview of one of these units, showing their position in the box and on the map (with grid on) ?
Good work otherwise, these corrections take years and are so boring, but it looks so much better afterwards...

The Offsets do not change the possitions of the Units on the Map... Only the positions of the Units in the Interface Box.

After Repositioning the Unit with Offsets for the Default Flc, I make sure the Unit is in the same position as before in the Default Animation. Think of this Offset as a Square within a Square. Only the Inside Square is Shifted, Not the Unit Position within the Larger Square :)

Examples of Before and After Offsets as seen in the Interface Game Box
and The Square within a Square as seen in Flicster. This is a smaller Frame than 240 X 240 so that small frame can be offset while keeping the Unit in the same Place within the Large Frame.

Attachments

• Example Offsets.png
    Example Offsets.png
    216.6 KB · Views: 319
  • Square within a Square.png
    Square within a Square.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 207
I'm not sure I got it this time... you can change the unit's position in the box without changing its position on the map-square ? I didn't know that. Last time I corrected one of my units I made sure it was ok on the map but didn't look at the box...

If Offsets are used alone, it will move the Unit as well as the Frame and that is how most people Center their Units if needed after making a storyboard.
In this Case I am only Moving the Small Magenta Frame, Not the Unit. The Unit is repositioned in the same Place within the Large 240 X 240 Frame as seen in Flicster.

Here is an Example:Both Unit Images are in the same Place and would be seen in the same place on the Game Map. If we Move only the Magenta Frame with Offsets it allows the Unit to be Repositioned in the Bottom Right Game Unit Interface Box because the Game Cannot know where the image is in the Frame so the Frame is used by the Game to place the Images in that Box. These two examples only show Up and Down Offsets but Right and Left Offsets can also be used.
The Magenta Frames are 100 X 100 Frame Size for the Unit in this example against the 240 X 240 Max Size Frame as seen in Flicster.

Attachments

• Offset Frames.png
    Offset Frames.png
    5 KB · Views: 144
I am sure some of you might want to know how I am getting the Units where I want them to show in the Game Interface box and also keeping the Units Centered in their Original positions for the Default animations.

The Technique I use is I first Look at the Unit in the Game Interface Box and take a screenshot so I can open it in my Graphics Editor and move the Unit where I want it in that screenshot on the Box. I use a Rectangle Selection Tool for that. I then use a Brush with Magenta Color dialed up to the amount of space I moved the Unit as a way to check the space faster than trying to count each pixel :)

I open the Default Flc in Civ3FlicEdit to move the Magenta Frame with Offsets that equal the amount of space I want to move the Unit so it shows in the Game Interface Box.

Next is a bit difficult to explain but I will try.

To get the Unit back in the same Place as it was originally before making the Offsets I open the Original Default Flc and the New Storyboard with Offsets in Flicster.

I exactly Line Up Both Flicster Images by using the exact edges of both images.

I have Both Units Facing the same way such as South.

I take a ScreenShot and Open it in my Graphics Editor (PSP) and I pick a spot that is the same on both unit images such as the exact tip of the Shoes and Draw a Line across to Both Images. I draw a Line from each Unit Image from the same spot toward the other Unit Image. This provides two Lines that has the exact space I need to Move the Units on the Offset Storyboard between them.

To do that fast... Copy the two Lines [usually Green colored] against a Magenta Background.

Open the Storyboard with the Offsets and Flood Fill the Frame Lines with Magenta to Remove them.

Paste the Lines you copied onto the Storyboard on the Top Left above the Unit Images.

Use 300 Zoom to see exactly.
If I am Moving the Units Up, I draw a Rectangle using the Rectangle Selection Tool starting with the Top of the Bottom Line and drag that Rectangle to the Bottom Right Side of the Storyboard and release the Mouse.
I can then use the control bars to move back to the Top Left where my Lines are. The Rectangle selection is still there so I grab the storyboard and move all units at one time and in this case I move the storyboard up so the Bottom Green Line is exactly covering the Top Green Line.

Now it is Important to use a Color that is not in the Units in the Background and Fill Properties Box in PSP to avoid losing any light shade such as smoke shades that are close to magenta for example. [I usually use Pure Green, same as the Lines] That Box is the Bottom Box below the palette in PSP.
When I move the entire Storyboard it leaves the Green color where the storyboard was. When finished moving it all, I click to stop the rectangle selection and then Flood Fill the Green Color that was left in place of where the Storyboard was and the Top Green Line. Save the storyboard, Check again in Flicster by comparison and generate the Flc. This all only requires only a few minutes and is Faster than my trying to type it :)

Naturally, If I am moving the storyboard Down, I Draw a Rectangle Selection starting with the Top of the Top Line but the start is moved in toward the Right of that Line so I leave a few Pixels of the Top and Bottom Lines when I am moving the Storyboard. This allows me to see part of the Bottom Line as I move the top Line down to it.

Moving Left and Right are also handled in the same manner with Vertical Lines.

Here is a series of images that show the above technique concerning the lines and moving the unit images on the storyboard:

Attachments

• Offset Technique.zip
    58.9 KB · Views: 71
You know...

I used to wonder why some units were not in the centre of the info box in city screen... So the default image for the info-screen is not centered, but rather aligned from the bottom of the default-animation frame.

Good to know. But alas, it's just 5 years too late for me :(

You know...

I used to wonder why some units were not in the centre of the info box in city screen... So the default image for the info-screen is not centered, but rather aligned from the bottom of the default-animation frame.

Good to know. But alas, it's just 5 years too late for me :(
It's never too late! You could wow your army of fans with a new unit or two...;)

aaglo... I have adjusted severel of your units to show more centered on the Interface Unit Game box. These are the Units you made that are in EFZI2 Complete. The Bats, I re-colored without Civ Specific Color and there have been other adjustments and names given for some of your units for example but the Units are centered now. I would be happy to send them to you if you want them. Either just the Default Flcs or the entire Unit as I have them now.
Zombie Bat = Fell Bat
Manbot
Mike Rush
Fresh Zombie = Ghoul
Evil Transport = BlackPearl

Just to add this in: I tested Vuldacons method so I can have the units in correct spot for now on in the lower box as well. Great info Vuldacon, very useful.

The game centers the FLC (the magenta box, as Vuldacon shows above) at approx the 85th pixel (85th or 86th) from the bottom of the screen. If the FLC has height of 100, this means the top 50 pixels of the FLC will be from 85-135 and the bottom 50 pixels of the FLC will be from 35-85.

I know this, because I tested various height sizes of FLC's in game and then layered them with the background screens and measured the pixel lengths of where they were at.

Blue line shows where the game 'centers the FLC according to the height. Half the FLC shows above this line, half below it. I did 2 tests at this point, and the units are centered on the unit of the image (which changed when I cropped 30 pixels off the bottom of the FLC).

I'm trying to come up with a little graphic so it's easy to just see where the unit will be at without actually needing to test it in game to determine. Similar to my OffsetsTemplate.

*** BUT, another example of Firaxis using every muscle in their bodies except the one that matters most. Common sense says place the unit on the lower right according to how it is placed at on the map (in the center of the circle).

*** BUT, another example of Firaxis using every muscle in their bodies except the one that matters most. Common sense says place the unit on the lower right according to how it is placed at on the map (in the center of the circle).
Tom... but then they would have to reprogram all of the other information slots that show in the bottom right corner and that pprobably affects other areas the Game Engine uses. Probably more difficult than meets the eye. Would be nice to be able to have all Very Large, Tall or High Flying units fit in the box too but not possible for the extremes.

Top Bottom