1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade to Ver 3.17 BTS ASAP

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by Provolution, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

Upgrade to Ver 3.17 BTS ASAP

If we cannot open the save, it has little meaning to us to play this demogame.
    It is also unfair that the civ fanatics with double installs of the game as well as only those conservatives sticking to Ver 3.13 should be able to play this game.

I am not stating this as a wish, ultimatum and such, but merely a fact. The fact is, that I will not join this game as an active player, neither will new players that happen to have the latest patch. Making the HOF crowd hold us hostage by insisting on having their version of the game be added on top of this does not make it any easier. If the HOF-people are the priest-class of this demogame, they should pay attention to their hopefuls and deliver the conversion now.

That is all I got to say on the matter.

2. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

Can you convert a HOF game to a normal game relatively easily?

I hate to say it but i think it is just a case of waiting for the new HOF patch to come out.

3. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

--> Gameplay forum topic?

4. Provolution

The topic is universal, as if this is not acted on, the game would get less new players, so its much more fundamental than demoting it to "gameplay", which is more a question on how to play the game, not allowing players to join.

5. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Changing the save version isn't something anyone can do. I don't know the specifics on it, but I do know that Gyathaar did it for us last time round, and I've heard that he's out of the country right now, so I suppose we have to wait.

If you want to be certain, you should ask Methos, or DaveShack

6. Provolution

Well, this is why I refer to the HOF people as our new priest-class. First they insist on us having to have the HOF Mod patched, then they make us dependent on it, and then they are only official people that can handle it.

As far as I see it, we should use the standard BTS version, since these priests cannot catch up to speed with the Firaxis patches. I think this HOF influence is unhealthy.
    Now all new players with 3.17 update installed will shun this game.

I say we freeze turnchats until this is fixed.

7. Joe Harker

Thats what i meant, without them having to spend ages on changing it but within a respectable amount of time that someone could do it in :)

8. Provolution

I agree with Joe Harker, we need to toss out the HOF thing, the redundant bureaucratic priest class they represent has stalled us enough, so we should go back to the industrial Firaxis 3.17 version, not this inaccessible expert system requiring multiple installs and individual worship in order to work.

9. Conroe

Conroe √∞

10. Provolution

Well then, we shall repoll it, in light of the newest 3.17 patch. That poll is now redundant, and is not a compelling argument anymore.

11. Joe Harker

I didn't say that, i said is it possible? :)

12. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

I'm surprised that the HoF mod was ever approved in the first place, having to reload the game to open mods is annoying. However it’s working for me now and I don't want to mess with it. I certainly won't vote for a mod in the next game, but for now I'd rather leave it as is and not even bother with the patch.

13. Provolution

So, basically, some here suggest we simply shall put up with this charade, and not try to fix it?

14. Joe Harker

Well the first step is to ask whether we can convert it at all, then work from there, i will send a pm to Methos when i next log on, unless someone does it in the meantime.

15. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

I at least feel that the mod is slightly annoying, hardly broken and in need of a fix. You may be right in that an unmoded game would attract more players but you can't really be sure that ditching the mod wouldn't also cause some current players to be less active.

As I've said the mods is a little inconvenient but it wasn't enough to keep me from joining. I think that players who are so easily put off by the extra trouble of loading the mod may not be expected to contribute much to the game anyway.

16. Provolution

What about the players that already got 3.17 and cannot roll back to 3.13? I see it as more important to have an easily accessible platform, than dishing out some liberal mumbo jumbo that everyone is "equal" etc... everyone has to listen to, even though we all know its just talk. :)

17. thecommonnate

thecommonnate Theocrat

I agree with Provo I need a 3.17 conversion sooner or later...

18. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

It is not possible to convert a game from mod to non-mod. This has always been the case with Civ4, and as far as I could tell was the case for Civ3 too.

As soon as the HOF folks release a new 3.17 mod version, we can upgrade to it.

Frankly I'm surprised it has taken this long to get that 3.17 version.

19. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

BTW, you don't need a priest. The 3.17 discussion can be found here.

20. Provolution

Well, maybe HOF is not what it was any more. So I say we scrap it, if possible.