Upgrade to Warlords a Risk to Performance?

CautiousChaos

Warlord
Well, I'm debating plunking down the $30 for the expansion, even though I'm not a big fan of the scenarios, and there's really not that much content, I'm thinking this is the go-forward platform for Civ and I might as well be on the wagon.

My biggest concern is performance. I've spent (countless) hours tuning my machine to get a reasonable framerate. The thought of re-tuning Warlords or worse getting inferior framerates is daunting.

Anyone out there have any performance-related dips with Warlords?
-CautiousChaos

I had to drop my resolution from 1920 x 1200 to 1650 x 1080 (or whatever the next one down was, but around the 16XX x 10XX mark) in order to maintain a smooth framerate in the introduction and in the game. Note that this includes full settings and 4X AA.

In Vanilla, it ran perfectly smoothly at 1920 x 1200, so for some reason Warlords is more graphically demanding, both in the intro and in the game. I've found that the game is tolerable even if the intro is skipping, but if the intro is smooth, the game is certainly going to be smooth even into the modern age.

For reference, the computer was:

2 GHz Pentium M
1 GB 533 MHz RAM
256 MB Go 6800

I reckon there is a performance drop with warlords towards the end of a game, I usually play huge map with 11 civs including myself. There are long load times when talking to leaders or looking at some advisors (eg. military).

Kind of like before the 1.61 and 1.52 patches, maybe a memory issue or something.

I didn't notice any problems with movies but I've turned them all off because they get repetitive.

I still run at 1920 x 1200 res.

Pentium M 1.86 GHz; 512 MB RAM; 256 MB Go 6800.

Warlords seems slightly slower (running at 1600x1200 with full settings) on my Pentium D 3.2GHz with 2GB RAM and a GeForce 7800, but not very much so. I often play on larger maps and using mods with extra units, so there is often a little hitch when scrolling around the screen.

I had absolutely no troubles with Warlords. My computer is the minimum requirements. so I play with low graphics.
Heck it even ameliorated the wonder movies. In the vanilla civ the wonder movies are showed frame by frame but in warlords they run smoothly.

I would say don't worry CautiousChaos :)

Top Bottom