Upgrades to Tile Imrovements and Cultural Tile Acquisition

Nares

Emperor
The first of the two improvements is to radically alter how tiles are improved. Implement a system for upgrading tiles through gold purchasing. This removes workers completely, reducing the clugs created by 1upt.

The second improvement is to modify how tiles are gained via culture. Remove gold purchasing of tiles, and implement a system for targetting cultural tile acquisition within the city manager interface.

Either suggestion could be implemented independently. Of the two, the former offers greater benefit to the game. However, implementing just the former would create an additional tile related gold sink, of which there are enough already.

Rather than purchasing tile improvements (which could unbalance the game a little; you get rich through tiles, which would then allow you to create the infrastructure to get richer and create further infrastructure, etc.), maybe having some sort of additional measure (maybe tied into culture somehow?) which when accumulated to a certain level, allowed you to 'buy' an improvement (such as how culture allows you to buy social policies, but obviously much more frequently) would be better.

Is there a reason for the second, really? What is the issue you are attempting to resolve with that idea?

Is there a reason for the second, really? What is the issue you are attempting to resolve with that idea?
Remove the option to purchase tiles. Implement the option to direct cultural tile acquisition.

With improvements being purchased, I didn't think it was worthwhile to have an option to purchase tiles as well.

Hmm, that makes sense, although I would think that if improvements are still effectively just as costly, there wouldn't be a need to prevent purchasing of tiles anymore than there currently is (and I don't see why there currently is such a need).

Hmm, that makes sense, although I would think that if improvements are still effectively just as costly, there wouldn't be a need to prevent purchasing of tiles anymore than there currently is (and I don't see why there currently is such a need).
There isn't a need currently. I actually like the tile purchasing system, and perhaps I've overlooked the potential consequences of forcing a player to generate more culture (for tile acquisition) given the already forced Policy taking.

I would be satisfied with just having a better method of directing which tiles I'll acquire with culture.

Regardless, I'd still like to see some changes made to the way tile improvements are built. 1upt was a good improvement over the old combat system, and eliminating workers would be one step towards making 1upt better.

Rather than purchasing tile improvements (which could unbalance the game a little; you get rich through tiles, which would then allow you to create the infrastructure to get richer and create further infrastructure, etc.), maybe having some sort of additional measure (maybe tied into culture somehow?) which when accumulated to a certain level, allowed you to 'buy' an improvement (such as how culture allows you to buy social policies, but obviously much more frequently) would be better.

Call To Power had some kind of national workforce resource, I'm not sure how it was gathered, though. From my own musings, the best idea would be to create a workforce flow-resource (i.e. a resource that doesn't have a stockpile or only a small one). Each improvement you are currently building takes some amount of workforce to finish it, depending on the terrain, etc. Production of the resource could have a small population component and you could have a build option like "wealth" if you want to boost things a little.

Call To Power had some kind of national workforce resource, I'm not sure how it was gathered, though. From my own musings, the best idea would be to create a workforce flow-resource (i.e. a resource that doesn't have a stockpile or only a small one). Each improvement you are currently building takes some amount of workforce to finish it, depending on the terrain, etc. Production of the resource could have a small population component and you could have a build option like "wealth" if you want to boost things a little.

Yeah, this sounds kinda like what I was thinking of. You could either make it a new 'yield' entirely independent of the current yields, or you could make it dependent on a combination of the current yields.

Yeah, this sounds kinda like what I was thinking of. You could either make it a new 'yield' entirely independent of the current yields, or you could make it dependent on a combination of the current yields.

Well production would be a candidate if you want to tie it into yields but I would rather make it depend on population (in a fashion that is better for larger cities) - the tie to production would be the build option.

Tying it to food rather than population might be the way to go. It would encourage earlier improvement building, which is really required to get population up.

Top Bottom