Upgrading and their effect on promotions?

Jezz

Chieftain
Hi,

Finally made the switch from Civ3 to Civ4. Been searching through the war academy (thx to the authors, good stuff on the combat calc), but haven't seen any mention of this ...

My question is this: How does upgrading units affect their current promotions? I noticed I upgraded some archers to longbowmen, and their city defense promotion % got reduced.

has someone done an analysis of the cost/benefit analysis of when to upgrade units? Obviously, by the time you get riflemen, I assume the increase in unit strength is worth the decrease in city defense%, just wondering if there's a article or post out there.

Thx.

Look at the archer and longbow unit abilities carefully. Archers start with 50% for free, longbows start with 25% for free.

125% of 6 is still better than 150% of 3.

As was said, all the promotions remain on the unit when upgraded. One important thing to note is that your unit will drop to 10 exp if it was above that (unless its a Warlord-attached unit, in the Warlords expansion).

You also get to keep promotions that a unit gets automatically. For instance, with the Viking Berserker (Maceman replacement), you get the amphibious upgrade. If you later upgrade it to an infantry, the infantry will still have amphibious.

Top Bottom