Upgrading Reset Units

Ulixes

Prince
Hi everybody!

This is a small code I did some time ago for my project and I thought to upload it as a mod.

With this mod enabled, when an unit is upgraded it loses all the bonuses earned previously:

XP is reset to "0"
Level is reset to 1
All the Promotions are deleted (this can be modified in 'Promotions.sql')

The fact is that I didn't like having incredibly powerful tanks because my knights fought a lot of battles in the middle age. It simply doesn't make any sense!

Anyway, although the idea may seem radical, it eliminate a cumulative bonus that only the human player fully exploit, making the game fairer, in my opinion.

If you notice any bug, please tell me.

Link to the CivFanatics Downloads Database

v.2: halved the XP required for level advancement. (EXPERIENCE_PER_LEVEL = 5)

Have Fun,
Ulixes

This seems like it would take a huge part of the fun of the game away for me. Seriously one of my favorite parts is getting super elite units.

Also, why would you ever upgrade with this? You might as well just delete, you can get some actual experience by just building some new ones.

Eliminating the upgrade would penalize the AI, who rely heavily on upgrading to keep its army advanced enough.

About the XP from new units, you have to choose between keeping your city busy for some turn to build new units or upgrading the old ones with the reset. Fair enough for me.

About the super elite units, I think that the XP bonus given by buildings, wonders or war should not last more than one "generation" of units.

The more powerfull your units are, the less your strategy matters.

Anyway it is matter of personal preferences, I thought to upload it in case someone else considered it useful, but it will probably be part of a larger project (when I find the time to finish it).

I just think it seems a bit against the concept of civ. I mean, if one can assume that if the same person leads the civs for 6000 years, is it really a stretch that they've got the same guys manning the cavalry as they have manning the tanks?

Anyway, it's your mod, and I'm not being forced to use it or anything, so if you like the idea, then it's good!

The Leader you choose is only an animated picture, a symbol, the way I see it.
The logic who rule your civ, and that you handle, change through eras and it is, hopefully, not always the same.

Of course it is forced to see the entire history, it has to be, it's a game.

But let's try to see it in an other way: the fact that you are a military power in a certain era depends on what you do in that era, otherwise Mongolia should have today the most powerful army of the world, alongside Italy and Greece.

I just like the idea that things change during the years, the ones who were the strongest yesterday will not be necessarily the strongest tomorrow too, and it is difficult, very difficult, to be always the strongest, especially when dealing with discipline and spirit of sacrifice, that usually have the tendency to decay over time.

It adds more more challenge and realism for me, and I like both.

Anyway, thanks to modding too, there are many ways to play civ (luckily!), so to each one his own. :)

Interesting concept Ulixes, does level the playing field quite abit in the later era's I guess, now if you could say zero bonuses for most units but enable certain units to continue their upgrade bonus path that could be quite good as then you would have elite units instead of most every unit being elite by the time the later eras come into play ie the SAS or any special forces for example didnt become the best at what they do over night it takes time etc etc

Thanks! I really wrestled with how challenging this was.

Now I can finish another part of my modmod.

Interesting concept Ulixes, does level the playing field quite abit in the later era's I guess, now if you could say zero bonuses for most units but enable certain units to continue their upgrade bonus path that could be quite good as then you would have elite units instead of most every unit being elite by the time the later eras come into play ie the SAS or any special forces for example didnt become the best at what they do over night it takes time etc etc

Thank you for your appreciation :).

Being a newbie in Lua (and having not much time) I'm not sure on how to create an exception for a single upgrade path, like you're suggesting (if I understood correctly).

Besides, it would be something that only the human player could fully exploit.
In your games you surely noticed that the human player is the only one who succeed in having many units at 6/7 level while the AI often doesn't have not even 1 unit so powerful. A single upgrade path keeping the experience would be even worse for the AI.

That's one of the reasons I did this mod (the gameplay-related reason).

About the time required to be the best: I think that once the technology and the combat tactics are changed, all the previous experience is no more useful.
This is true also for elite forces.

If you take the strongest roman elite legion of all times and equip them with weapons they don't know how to use, they become weak as newly recruited soldiers. They have to learn everything from the start.

The way I see it, this rule shouldn't have any exception.

Top Bottom