Upping Rebel Sentiment in One Turn.

Drakan

Voluntas Omnia Vincit
Scenario Western Hemisphere, normal size, epic speed, conquistador level, playing as Spanish, leader José de San Martín (-50 XP mil units).

I've just spent the last 100 turns with only 2 cities built and 3 elder statesman in each producing LB and the rebel sentiment hasn't even budged; 52% and 47% respectively. The overall rebel slider just got stuck at 33% and would not move.

I lost to a European Victory (the King wins) because I was unable to declare independence (one of the major flaws of this game amognst others) after 100 turns !!!

Reloading 10 turns before I lost I started fiddling around with the citie's units. Entering the city screen I unhooked the 2 students (2 coloners) and I also unhooked from 2 other jobs another 2 coloners and left all four coloners "outside" the city (not really outside, they are in the city but have no task assigned to them).

The rebel sentiment in that city jumped immediately from 47% to 65% within moments in that same turn.

I also noticed that food affects rebel sentiment (if a city loses food its rebel sentiment is lower).

This game could be excellent but the major flaws have to be addressed in a patch asap.

My 2 cents.

I've just finished a second game after the one above exactly with the same game conditions only that I spent the first 100 turns exterminating all "fellow" european colonies in the New World. It was an easy victory after that. Almost all FF were mine. This time no problem with LB production and declaring independence.

The rebel sentiment displayed in your respective cities does only count for the people working in the city which sadly means that soldiers, scouts and poineers needs to be put to work else they will not be loyal to your cause. Also, newborn colonists (from food) and native converts join you as Tories.

I would recommend that you build Newspapers in a few cities and only when those are complete you put statesmen inside them. At the same time, put as many people as possible to work in those colonies while you limit population growth. Some people think it's cheating but I blame game mechanics and therefor I disband converts in late game as they undermine rebel sentiment.

Have fun :beer:

The rebel sentiment displayed in your respective cities does only count for the people working in the city which sadly means that soldiers, scouts and poineers needs to be put to work else they will not be loyal to your cause. Also, newborn colonists (from food) and native converts join you as Tories.

I heard that this is wrong. There is no "rebel sentiment" attached to units. There are no "tories" or "loyals".

There is a rebel value per city. The rebel sentiment in this city is "rebel value"/"size of city".
The rebel sentiment for the whole colony is "total rebel value"/"number of colonists".

Therefore, if you want to increase your overall rebel sentiment, just disband some of your colonists.

^^ This is right.
The Per Town Bonus applies to Production Bonus in this town.
The Total Sentiment applies to Townless folks (Soldier) Combat Bonus.

If you are short on LB You can also build small towns - just 3 people - all in town hall. Might need to supply with food via Wagon.
They will make a lot more LB than this town need, helping push your overall Rebel Sentiment higher.

I heard that this is wrong. There is no "rebel sentiment" attached to units. There are no "tories" or "loyals".

There is a rebel value per city. The rebel sentiment in this city is "rebel value"/"size of city".
The rebel sentiment for the whole colony is "total rebel value"/"number of colonists".

Therefore, if you want to increase your overall rebel sentiment, just disband some of your colonists.

The local rebel sentiment is irrelevant when it comes to declaration of independence since you can have all cities at 100%, if you do not put your army to work you will never get above a certain treshold. Just watch the global rebel sentiment before and after you get a newborn colonist or a converted native.

I dunno, maybe we speak about different things.

Top Bottom