1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

US Capitol Breached

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram King

I have doubts that a civil war caused by a Trumpist rebellion would be such a bad thing. Obviously, the Trumpists would lose. The publicity would destroy the Republican Party. The violent, gun-toting rebels will die, either in battle or to capital punishment. With the extremists eliminated and their enablers losing power, our nation can move forward and finally join the civilized world.

stinkubus and aelf like this.
  2. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

I am starting to think there is nothing staged with Trump. He says random things and random things happen.

3. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

That would be why I said that not all of them might have had the same perception on whether it was staged.

4. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

Or does he? Is he an idiot or evil mastermind like The Joker?

5. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

I lean towards the idiot hypothesis. But it is a general thing, i don't use to believe conspiracy theories not because I think politicians are not evil enough but because I think they are not smart enough. (some exceptions made)

6. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

He's an egomaniac. Completely self obsessed. He's an idiot who has access to a lot of means, and surrounds himself with sycophants.

If he had been a mastermind, he would have been looking at a second term. And a third.

7. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

This essay is consistent with most of what I feel about the events of Wednesday night.

"If it had been leftists breaking into the halls of power, we’d have known exactly what to do: declare a provisional revolutionary government, set up a thousand different subcommittees, and then immediately start braining each other with congressional paperweights in a series of bloody factional purges. This lot, meanwhile, had no idea what they were supposed to actually do once they were inside.

For a while they milled about, carrying flags and stealing things. They didn’t even start any fires; all they left with were some bits of wood and covid-19. There was no plan to any of this, because their brand of right-wing populism isn’t really a politics at all. It has no real coherent sense of what it wants to abolish or what it wants to uphold, and a long frantic scream instead of a theory of change. This is why you don’t need to worry that a ‘competent fascist’ might come along to pick up where Trump left off: incompetence and incoherence is the substance of this movement. Nothing that smells like ideological rigour will stick in our swirling stupid age."

I'm not wholly convinced by the final point, but I support that the broader argument about the ideological incoherence of this movement being a feature, not a bug. It wasn't simply that this wasn't an attempted coup, it couldn't have been: very few of the people involved had any idea what they wanted, and the crowd certainly possessed no collective sense of what they were for or even, really, what they were against, except their limitless faith in and affection for Donald Trump, and their hatred of his perceived enemies (which at this stage, is just about everyone). Perhaps if somebody had provided them with a coup, they would have merrily carried it out- that may be where I and the author disagree- but there was never any prospect of the mob carrying out coherent political action under their own direction, because they are not possessed of the sort of coherent political agency which is the necessary prerequisite for any such action.

8. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Coffman told police that he had Mason jars filled with melted Styrofoam and gasoline.
    I bet he didn't pay for those jars. ;)

9. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

And how many would lose their lives in the process?

10. r16

r16 not deity

the or any US Serviceperson (in any field) in this thread will not say that Trump has failed to play the crazy man trick . The gap in theory between America and China might have fallen from say 20 years to say 5 , Russia has been threatened far enough to remain hostile against America in defiance of publicly declared goals of Trump Administration to prevent know-how transfer to China . And yes , Trump has truly made China an enemy of the US , because all those people since Deng were preparing for but not actually desiring a showdown with the West . Not truly earth shattering on their own these things are , but Trump has proven countless times that he is a joke which then simply leads to a notion that the system that brought him to power must or might also be a joke . America has lost immense power and prestige and traction , now that countless numbers of dictators have witnessed America might not be that powerful , they might choose to delay obeying the orders that come down from Washington ; America has shot its bolt . This is why the current and former leaders of the US Military refused to support any challenge that might have kept Trump in charge ; he would be simply beyond belief if he was allowed to succeed . The people charging the Capitol Hill and whatnot might include nice people (without r16 picking a side in the American politics) but they would feel they would not be challenged , force a delay to force a showdown , so that the US Military would have to take a side , law and order , bloodbath must be prevented and that would be Trump , because every Middle Easterner knows the US Military is anything but respectful of human rights and all them cheezy concepts . The unplanned or underplayed chaos would have succeeded , if the US Military had chosen to do so . As it is , the half action has mobilized both sides and the showdown has simply been postponed , the coup has not been lost for the Republicans .

and yes , the poster will hate the next US Administration will equal facility , we should really start orbital bombardment . Because the very people who have brought the US to these dire straits and stuff were like talking of WW lll in 2014 , thinking they are the strong and the brave .

11. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Keep Hectoring them, r16!

12. r16

r16 not deity

so what . How do you know ı didn't save the cursed American Democracy , with bayonets factory produced not to shine ?

13. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Huh?
    How do you save Americans and their "cursed" democracy with "bayonets factory produced not to shine"?
    Priam open like oysters?

14. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram King

Far fewer innocent lives would be lost than by bending over backwards to appease the neo-nazis and neo-confederates.

15. r16

r16 not deity

ah yes , the quote game . Well , maybe ı really have starships , having inherited from people who like discovered Atlantis or even Mu during the last century but not "enough" spacemarines . So , ı can land a battalion anywhere ... with cloaked flags and the trumpet for charge audible only with proper equipment ... The reason ı have been reported as materially supporting Jo Bidon the barrel is only because Trump has so little days left and he might do something about me , which is the end result of a decades long joke that has gone out of control long ago ; people can believe in so many fallacies and wrong things . And the Off-topic forum knows me well enough that ı am saving on the am an idiot parts . So , what's aim in challenging ?

16. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Even though capital punishment doesn't work as a deterrent?
    IMO it would be better to do some kind of prisoner exchange.
    uschain.png

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

A self-coup, or autocoup (from the Spanish autogolpe), is a form of putsch or coup d'état in which a nation's leader, despite having come to power through legal means, dissolves or renders powerless the national legislature and unlawfully assumes extraordinary powers not granted under normal circumstances.

What happened on the 6th quite clearly falls into that definition; whether all the rioters intended to or not, it is obvious that some of them intended to kidnap and/or murder members of Congress (that guy with the zipties for example).

The fact that this coup failed, does not mean it was not an attempted coup. I do believe that Trump's intent was to have the mob massacre Congress, and then Trump could assume emergency powers/declare martial law to "restore order". That it was, ultimately, a deeply incompetent attempt should not diminish its seriousness.

On the contrary, you appear to be refusing to call this an attempted coup because to do so would be to admit that you have been wrong all along about the level of danger posed by Donald Trump and his supporters. I suppose it is also possible that you are just not aware of everything that took place.

18. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I'd say I retroactively wish for better. There should have been an effective security cordon around the building, then there'd have been little need for any deadly violence.

aelf, Ziggy Stardust, Gorbles and 2 others like this.
  19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Goldman Sachs oopsie

20. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Lethal force won't make them realize they were wrong. It will just give the ones who live a martyr complex.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Sommerswerd and hobbsyoyo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.