1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

US Capitol Breached

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

Trumpsters are basically American version of Red Guards (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Guards ) anyway. If Trump went madder than now and said "Grave of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson are unamerican and needs to be trashed!" Do you think many of his supporters would stop and think "hey that's crazy talk!" Or would they trash the grave?

2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The mob beat the cop to death with American flags

But yeah BLM disrespected the flag and the real problem....

3. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

"people don't agree with me" is not evidence of an echo chamber.

Like Angst said, there are plenty of disagreements all the time, even from like-minded folks. If you don't want to see that to continue to protect your dissonance, that's entirely your choice. You won't be alone, at least.

Angst, Kupe Navigator and hobbsyoyo like this.
  4. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Well, it's you that want to be a victim here, and you that immediately instigate flame wars with people you feel connected by association :dunno: Not sure what to do about it. I usually try to calmly explain things, but some times you need to tell people to just grow a thicker skin. Also, not hurt. Not really understanding why I should be..? When told that you should take a break from perceiving dogpiling after two posts, you go "no u mad". I'm trying to explain to you that you're being too paranoid and that your posts are going nowhere if you want to reach out to people. :p Like, if you don't want this "dogpiling", you should seriously reconsider how to approach, well, anything.

I was also confused by your post and looked through my posting history in this thread. I couldn't find a post where I called them neo-Nazis, and I couldn't find a post where I called for fascist measures. I might be missing something, and if so, please actually provide.

What I found - and apparently I have to explain it to you, in spite of you being so fond of proficient reading - I noted that it was a strange that the US government has so severe security measures and still let their parliament get overrun by white people, and I noted that it is a function of government to curtail when these things happen. This is a matter of reality, not a moral instruction. That's simply stating what a government does as a function. There's also a distinction between supporting the US security system as is and believe it to have some use when the parliament is stormed by actual fascists. And no, not all Trump supporters are Nazis. The people in question that stormed it were, as the evidence has shown up so far, deeply connected to actual fascist movements. I feel weird for having to explicitize that distinction, but apparently that's the level you're at. And I find it kind of hilarious that you think I need to read better. You read nonexistent things in my posts by an association you perceive and can't seem to do a basic distinction between descriptive and prescriptive text.

Lexicus and hobbsyoyo like this.
  5. Arwon

Arwon

I'm the guy who only gets news, discussion and opinions from this forum, I otherwise exist in a hermetically sealed infobubble. So if you all could all kindly stop tainting my perfect echo chamber with dumb far right apologia that would be lovely

6. Angst

perfect the thought police plan has been set into motion

7. Arwon

Arwon

Get emm boys

Estebonrober likes this.
  8. Sarin

Sarin King

Did you ever stop and think that it's crazy talk when you advocated for prosecuting people for thought crimes?

Disagreements only within very narrow field. When someone goes beyond those limits, that person is treated with contempt. I've seen that here several times.

You own communication abilities are demonstrated by fact that you failed, despite my post being clearly structured that way, to comprehend that I was responding to another person when talking about neo-Nazis and fascist measures. And "calmly"...that's laughable. Every time you tried to argue against me, your first argument was insults and belittling.

Work on your own communication skills before you criticize. They're way subpar.

9. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Even contempt does not mean there is an echo chamber. Regardless, pretty rich from someone going along with "your own communication abilities are demonstrated by <something exceedingly negative>", no?

10. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

Is asking persecution on people that rioted Washington D.C a crazy talk? What's next? Asking just punishment on Bank robber is a crazy talk?

11. Sarin

Sarin King

If the contempt is for everyone who dares to argue beyond the bubble...yeah.

As for my arguments...if I'm treated with contempt, I respond with even more contempt.

But you didn't ask to persecute just them. Let's take a good look at that conversation...

12. Angst

Hm.

Suuure.

Well, considering my record both online and in real life, it's honestly rare that people don't understand what I'm saying. (Except I do talk very quickly IRL, that's a problem.) You also skipped the length of my post without conceding you made a mistake in regards to understanding what I wrote. If you just calmed down and read what I wrote, perhaps ask questions - instead of going full battleaxe - you might have fewer issues. But that'd mean showing weakness to some people (including that some people think it's weak to concede when they did something wrong and rather just ignore it), and I guess you're one of those people. I'm not always clear, since this is a hobby forum and not a paid class I'm doing, but then you go from having questions to filling in the worst answers from there and go nuts, because you think this forum is the devil, apparently.

I'm active in a few far right communities for the record. Since some of the games I play and the movies I enjoy tend to coalesce around that online. Starship Troopers for example. (EDIT: I want to be really clear to any readers that I'm not actually agreeing with such politics. At all. I'm solely there to talk about media I like. It's also helpful for being up to date on dogwhistles.) It's not an echo chamber thing; it's very rare that people don't understand me or start grinding the axe. It's just you that are dense. Sorry. :)

EDIT: Hm, and you think you argue beyond the bubble. Not really. There are plenty of people on this forum that think the same as you and get along with the rest much better.

13. Sarin

Sarin King

You aren't even capable to understand that "you" in a paragraph immediately following a quote from someone points to the one who made the quote?

Why don't you clean up your act first, stop putting words in people's mouths and try to understand what they actually write before you start insulting them? Because I never called this forum "devil". And I did read. Frankly, 95% of content of your posts, give or take a few, is pure belittling trash, and not worth a reply.

14. Angst

It was an example you provided of me being part of an echo chamber, something I supported as part of the plural you, which you refuse not to construct and refuse not to associate me with. So I looked at whether I actually said that. Didn't this whole thing start with you going "strawman"?

Anyways. Good for you; then I guess it's just everyone else that's wrong and you that are right and we all think the same and everyone else is out to get you and it's a very pragmatic way to go about your day when trying to convince people of your politics. No wonder you're a victim and everyone is so unrighteous.

And taking my phrasing of "devil" here hyperliterally instead of a shorthand of how you perceive things to be... I mean. As if it was a direct quote. Jesus.

15. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

16. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I just pointed out that it isn't evidence of a bubble. It's still not evidence, because the running theme is that people are disagreeing with you. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for what you respond with, that's your choice. Nobody is forcing you to. But there are likely reasons for other posters' alleged behaviour too. You're justifying yours yourself, right? So why oppose it at all? Everyone will have their own justifications. Either live and let live a bit, or hold yourself to the same criticisms you hold others to. I'm the former myself.

Archon_Wing and Angst like this.
  17. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

I actually think that one might be fake. Or related to a separate incident. I cant really be bothered to check though as its too funny and too ironic :lol:

18. Sarin

Sarin King

I never wrote anything like that literally or figuratively. But that doesn't stop you from trying hard to misinterpret my words.

If you'd disagree by making actual arguments, you'd have a point. But last few pages have brought no actual substance from you, only same old "nuh-uh".

19. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Moderator Action: This thread is taking a break. Those of you who think you might be responsible would do well to reconsider their actions.

Angst, Gorbles, Arwon and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.