1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

US Congresswoman shot in Arizona

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by downtown, Jan 8, 2011.

1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Dick Cheney can still hunt, despite almost killing someone. SHould he have received the death penalty (as it is possible that the could still kill other people through irresponsible gun use)? At the very least, should he be stripped of his right to possess? After all, lives are at stake and he has already demonstrated irresponsibilty when it comes to firearms.
    You appeared to indicate it was not enough since you brought up the status of two of his victims to elevate your initial question.

2. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Seriously Jolly, your commensurate ability to compare apples with automobiles never ceases to amaze.

3. JollyRoger

So if all 6 that were killed had survived, you would not call for the death penalty, even though he could still try to kill people in prison or escape and try to kill again?

EDIT: Directed to everyone - I have contacted my Congressman and Senators to urge them to co-sponsor the granting of a Congressional Gold Medal to Daniel Hernandez, the young man that possibly save the Congresswoman's life. It takes two-thirds of each House to co-sponsor for it to be considered, but this young man is deserving.

4. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Doesn't that math seem to mean that all Schizophrenic delusions are of violent nature?

5. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

I heard on CNN that a woman grabbed the next magazine before the shooter could reload. I think there were a number of heroes present.

The far-right is doing a full-tilt boogie trying to spin-doctor the issue of "vitriol" away by blaming anybody who states the obvious for doing what they so frequently do: Turning everything into a political football for their own benefit.

Tucson talk radio host:

Senator Jon Kyle (R) Arizona claimed on Face the Nation today that Giffords herself would now be putting Dupnik in his place:

Clarence Dupnik, Arizona Sheriff, Criticized By Sen. Jon Kyl Over Shooting Comments (VIDEO)

Fox News is even trying to insinuate that it could legally hurt the case, and that a judge should shut him up:

Link to video.

Fox News talking head:

That's the most impassioned impassionate rhetoric I've heard in quite some time.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/01/kyl-arizona-sheriffs-remarks-inappropriate.php#more

Indeed. As have many of the rest of us.

6. The_Tyrant

The_Tyrant Values Guardian

7. JollyRoger

8. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

An article on BBC about the how she survived a shot to the head:

9. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Whats with all this right wing angst when: http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2011/01/jared_loughner_alleged_shooter.php

Is he ultra right wing....or ultra left wing?

10. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

For now, until there is more definitive info released, we shouldn't care.

11. Fugitive Sisyphus

Fugitive Sisyphus Escape Artist

12. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

With people this nutty, is there really a difference between the two and does it really matter for them? If this crime was politicaly motivated and he was 'left-wing' he sure picked a crummy target.

13. Behind The Mask

Behind The Mask King

What is the obsession with pegging his political preferences...

He's a whack job who shot a Congresswoman; can't we all just agree that he is a nutter who holds no true representation of the spectrum for either side.

14. amadeus

amadeus Serenity now!

So they can say "this guy = your guys."

15. JollyRoger

Yes?

The Tea Partiers have always claimed liberals as part of their group. Maybe he is one of em.

16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I suspect most people don't think "Oooh, let's use this shooting for political gain." - rather, they hear someone else say something they think is wrong, and think "I must set the record straight."

They're guilty of being dumb, and making poor judgement calls.

17. Gustave5436

Gustave5436 Emperor

That would be the mature, sensible thing to do. Naturally, that means it is completely out of the question.

18. bhsup

bhsup Deity

I actually just saw him speaking on CNN, where he said basically the same thing. Can't say I've always agreeded with Gergen, but yeah I think he nailed it perfectly there.

Totally unrelated aside, I was rather interested to read about the initial Osward speculations re: a possible link to the John Birch society. Never heard that before.

19. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Deity

Glad you can admit that. If that's the case our only disagreement is the percentage of blame we assign to each side.

I was a Democrat until a few years ago...I became an independent because I got disgusted with the left's behavior.

20. Volum

Volum The Zapper

Chris Rock on Columbine,can be applied here to. Crazy is crazy.