1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

US Congresswoman shot in Arizona

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by downtown, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

I think what I said was lost on you. No matter, this thread is old and tired to me now.

2. sonorakitch

sonorakitch Overseas hunter

3. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Yeah, I dunno if the lol smilie is appropriate. And I expected better of you than to try to spin this.

I'm pretty sure his Bush-hating, his pot-smoking*, and his shroom-chewing* had very little to do with this. I think you're attempting the same guilt-by-association other people have denounced. Karl Marx and Ayn Rand being on his favorite reading list didn't really matter, either.

It looks like the guy is schizophrenic. It's a wicked disease. It strikes a terrible number of people. In this case, it ends up with a bunch of people being shot.

*Okay, these probably exacerbated the issue, but it's commonly known that pre-schizophrenics self-medicate. It's not like Az can brag about its mental health services.

4. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

Or indeed America's mental health services at all. It's still a big stigma and this incident won't help at all.

5. sonorakitch

Of course. I'm being facetious.

Making a political issue out of this madman was disgusting to me at the first moment. It is a horrible tragedy that has been used by the left to demagogue the tea party movement (which I am not associated with) and is mind-boggling.

And it's not like the USA can brag about its mental health services! :)

6. useless

Uh you do realise that the Right has it's own share of labelling the left as being the cause of this digusting event? Or is it just solely the left, whilst you ignore the Right?

7. sonorakitch

I parodied the right in my post; of course I recognize that both sides involved themselves, but from what I've seen the rantings from some on the left have been particularly viscous.

8. useless

Say compared to those in the Right, with the Right's history of vitriolic speech against the so-called "left" of America?

9. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Thick and gel-like? :mischief:

10. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I think you had to be here. The 'politicisation' of the issue actually died down pretty quickly, in real time. Maybe not in number of posts, but in the timeline of people's posting. With a few exemptions, most people really backed off on the partisan aspect, or didn't even actually go there.

I don't think a group attack on 'the left' at CFC is warranted. Look through the posts, cross of the people who're always odious (there're what, two or three?), factor in which posters are teenagers, and you'll see that it's been a pretty mature response.

The demagoguery was a very small echo chamber, and was ignored by quite a few of the 'left' here.

Sorry I'm jumping on your posting. I'd really prefer we swing towards a mental health services discussion and away from partisan line-drawing.

11. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

:confused:

This guy was mentally unstable and a drug user.
    The politics though not surprising that its come to this.

12. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Derailing threads split off.... granted at this point there's not a lot to offer here. But, to the degree that you can and have the interest let's not get into how the nutjob in AZ fits into the political compass.

/curtsies

13. sonorakitch

Hey guys I think you are reading my post and thinking I am making some sort of issue regarding CFC'ers here. Not at all. Actually, I haven't been around for a while and admittedly haven't read the thread.

I was just venting against what has been depicted in the various left wing news outlets (daily kos, ex) claiming that right wing fanaticism was to blame in this tragedy early on. I'm just ranting.

14. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Giffords watches her husband's shuttle launch.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/16/MNLV1JGQH4.DTL

I think we can all agree this is indeed very good news.