1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

US electoral system one of the worst in the world

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ahovking, Nov 1, 2012.

1. metatron

metatron unperson

Yes.
    Erm...no.

It is possible to cheat as a poll worker in a paper election but you have to either a) have every poll worker around you (there's lots of them) as well as a bunch of election officials up the line in a giant conspiracy (all of these things tend to be catastrophically bipar.... octopartisan compared to America) b) have some sort of super power c) live in a nation that is doing it wrong (looking at you Russia).

2. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

Yeah, still logic issues here. So according to other people US should have the best democratic system, but it doesn't, therefore you think it's the worst. :confused:

The fact of the matter is that your thread had a ridiculous conclusion and now it seems that you're trying to at least salvage what little sanity remained in it. You should probably just ask a mod to edit your title and maybe change the OP a bit.

3. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

#obviouslydoesn'tknowahoviking

4. Goodfella

Ahovking thinks he's the most logical person in the world. But he isn't. Therefore he's the most illogical person in the world. Hey, his logic works! :lol:

5. Ahovking

Ahovking Cyber Nations

To subject that I believe that i think I'm the most logical person in the world is just insulting to your self and I because we both know I'm not.

6. Ahovking

Ahovking Cyber Nations

The problem seem that the thread was intended talk about the faults in the elect system in the us when compared to others on the world. You know when you have a problem when when a expert in a Russia is telling you, you have a problem

7. schlaufuchs

Or that expert in Russia is off his meds...

8. Ahovking

Ahovking Cyber Nations

Education in Russia isn't that bad it's not as good as the United States or Britain but expert in Russia are still respected around the world.

9. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Britain and the US have many people with diplomas and all who are nonetheless complete quacks. I don't see why Russia would be any different.

"An expert" is not a guarantee of sanity, relevance, or non-jingoism.

10. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Let's not forget that pointing fingers at the US is an important aspect of the self-delusion that is called Russian democracy.

11. Goodfella

I followed your logical framework to reach an equally invalid conclusion as the one you reached in the OP. Obviously you're not the most logical person in the world.

Well the North Koreans criticize the US quite a bit. Uh, oh! Problem alert!

Again, another illogical post. The problem with this thread so far is that not a single thing you have said has been a sound conclusion based on the premises that you have provided. None.

Here, I will clarify for you in case you're not following. Here are the points in this thread that are illogical.

First, there is an issue with the electronic voting machines in some county that no one has ever heard of, in the middle of rural Ohio. This is a completely isolated incident, that is bound to occur anywhere that has voting machines. From this, you cannot conclude anything, whatsoever, about the quality of US elections. If you were to provide evidence of widespread voter fraud, throughout the whole US, then your point could be valid. You haven't done this, therefore it isn't.

Then you said that the US is supposed to be, according to others, the leader of democracy in the world. Then you said it doesn't have the best democracy in the world. From these two arguments you draw the conclusion that the United States has the worst democracy in the world. There is no connection, at all, between what people think the US should be at the international level, and what it actually is. From this logic, your argument suggests that if people stopped expecting the US to be a leader of democracy, it would suddenly be one of the best.

Then you get a quote from a Russian about US democracy being bad and say that because a Russian is criticizing the US, the US must really be bad. No, the criticisms of politicians, especially from authoritarian and undemocratic nations, does not effect the actual quality of the US democratic system. You emphasize the strength of your argument by pointing out that the guy is from Russia and that means that the US must be really bad if it takes a Russian to point things out. That has no bearing on anything.

I feel like I'm arguing with Johnnie Cochran about Chewbacca.
    Spoiler :

12. Ahovking

Ahovking Cyber Nations

I think we can all agree Russia is not a democracy.

13. Ahovking

Ahovking Cyber Nations

This just made me laugh.

14. Ahovking

Ahovking Cyber Nations

This thread is completely off topic now.

15. schlaufuchs

I don't think that this thread was ever really on-topic to begin with.

16. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Why? I thought it was a well thought out and reasoned post.

17. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Do you remember the Russian 'expert' who predicted the US would break apart by 2010?*

*A few US professors and experts have some crazy ideas and predictions as well, so an isolated individual does not represent a country's educational system whether we are talking of the US or Russia.

18. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Depends on your definition of democracy.

Self-awareness can have that effect.

19. red_elk

red_elk Deity

That one was not an expert, his interview was taken from some yellow newspaper.
    Expert, mentioned in this thread merely repeated criticism from EU members, but unfortunately he is from Russia, which makes his opinion wrong by definition.

20. Arwon

Arwon

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that, whilst ramshackle from a first world liberal democracy perspective, the United States electoral system and electoral politics is substantially better than Russia's.

Ballsy assertion, I know.