US Finally Apologizes For Deliberately Infecting Guatemalans With Syphilis

Formaldehyde

Both Fair And Balanced
It was done by the same great humanitarian doctor who deliberately infected blacks with syphilis and didn't treat them to study the long-term effects in the infamous "Tuskagee experiment".

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-guatemala-std-study,0,4155801.story

U.S. 'regrets' study that infected Guatemalans with STDs

8:53 AM PDT, October 1, 2010

(Tribune Newspapers) - The United States apologized Friday for an experiment conducted in the 1940s in which U.S. government researchers deliberately infected Guatemalan prison inmates, women and mental patients with syphilis.

In the experiment, aimed at testing the then-new drug penicillin, inmates were infected by prostitutes and later treated with the antibiotic.

"The sexually transmitted disease inoculation study conducted from 1946-1948 in Guatemala was clearly unethical," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a statement.

"Although these events occurred more than 64 years ago, we are outraged that such reprehensible research could have occurred under the guise of public health. We deeply regret that it happened, and we apologize to all the individuals who were affected by such abhorrent research practices," the statement said.

Clinton called Guatemalan President Alvaro Colom on Thursday night to inform him, said Arturo Valenzuela, assistant secretary of state for Western Hemisphere affairs.

"They were obviously concerned about this information. They were saddened by it," Valenzuela said in a telephone news conference Friday.

Guatemalan officials took into account that the experiments occurred more than 60 years ago, Valenzuela said.

The study came to light recently when Wellesley College researcher Susan Reverby found the archived but unpublished notes from the project.

The scientific investigation, called the U.S. Public Health Service Sexually Transmitted Disease Inoculation Study of 1946-1948, aimed to gauge the effectiveness of penicillin to treat syphilis, gonorrhea and chancres. Penicillin was a relatively new drug at the time.

A similar study was conducted between 1932 and 1972 in Tuskegee, Ala., on nearly 400 poor African-American men with syphilis whose disease was allowed to progress without treatment. The subjects were not told they were ill.

The Guatemala study was done under the direction of U.S. Public Health Service physician John C. Cutler, who later ran the Tuskagee experiment, said Dr. Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes for Health.

Collins, who called the Guatemala study "a dark chapter in the history of medicine," spoke at the same teleconference in which Valenzuela made his remarks. U.S. officials stressed Friday that ethical safeguards would prevent such abuses from occurring today.

"The study is a sad reminder that adequate human subject safeguards did not exist a half-century ago," the U.S. statement said. "Today, the regulations that govern U.S.-funded human medical research prohibit these kinds of appalling violations."

Clinton and Sebelius said the United States is launching an investigation and also convening a group of international experts to review and report on the most effective methods to make sure all human medical research worldwide meets rigorous ethical standards.
Discuss.

What is there to discuss? The US was a [word] and now we finaly get around to apologizing.
We can't go back in time to not do it, so we simply have to be aware of it for the future.

It's a good move. I wonder if we'll ever get around to apologize for supporting terrorism in El Salvador & Nicaragua in the 80s.

Actually, no, maybe I don't wonder about that at all.

Just think what the government is doing now that its going to apologize for 60 years from now.

What is there to discuss? The US was a [word] and now we finaly get around to apologizing.
We can't go back in time to not do it, so we simply have to be aware of it for the future.

Why do you think it took so long for the US to finally apologize about events the government has known all along, especially since the Tuskagee experiment has been public knowledge for almost 40 years now?

Do you think the US government should pay reparations? Or is a public apology from a Democract sufficient?

Do you think there are other such atrocities buried in our past?

Do you think a Republican administration would have admitted to it?

It's a good move. I wonder if we'll ever get around to apologize for supporting terrorism in El Salvador & Nicaragua in the 80s.

Actually, no, maybe I don't wonder about that at all.
Good question. I wonder how the Obama administration does feel about apologizing for that.

At least we apologized, most governments would never do such a thing.

Um. Don't look now but all those bigoted and racist Democrats have been Republicans for decades now, ever since Reagan went out of his way to recruit them because they have so much in common.

Be aware of it. :goodjob:

I came back to these forum not for the 9/11 thread, but just to see how many people were going to say that the government was bad 60 years ago, but now is good. Or was tricky and evil then, but now, we are all way too smart for it.

We just have to be vewy vewy cawefo. Dis govewmnet is a twicky waskow!

Glad to see you are very aware of what is up. :goodjob:

Keep your eyes peeled guy, you never know when they are gonna pull another fast one on you.

Be aware of it. :goodjob:

I came back to these forum not for the 9/11 thread, but just to see how many people were going to say that the government was bad 60 years ago, but now is good. Or was tricky and evil then, but now, we are all way too smart for it.

We just have to be vewy vewy cawefo. Dis govewmnet is a twicky waskow!

Glad to see you are very aware of what is up. :goodjob:

Keep your eyes peeled guy, you never know when they are gonna pull another fast one on you.

So you think things are just the same then?

Ok.

:crazyeye:

Even if your statement were true, how does that matter at all?

The fact that we admitted we were wrong and actually apologized shows something about our government compared to others.

The fact that we admitted we were wrong and actually apologized shows something about our government compared to others.

True. It's shameful and despicable, and it shows why government can't be trusted.

Kind of a sad commentary that a "good" country is one that apologizes 65 years later. Also sad that if you judge a country by historical sins, only Canada looks good.

True. It's shameful and despicable, and it shows why government can't be trusted.

Kind of a sad commentary that a "good" country is one that apologizes 65 years later. Also sad that if you judge a country by historical sins, only Canada looks good.

Did you ask the natives that?

Financial reparations would be worthwhile. This is pretty meaningless. It's easy for liberals to say sorry about stuff. They do it all the time. It's giving money to those that have been wronged that politicians universally have an aversion, too.

I literally just read about this in my other window. The article I read seemed to indicate that even the Guatemalan president didn't know about this until Hillary Clinton called him to apologise, though I don't know if that's true.

Reparations are a no-brainer, though I don't know how many people would still be alive to pay reparations to. I'm not sure if the US can be said to have "known about this all along" though. It seems like the info was buried pretty deep after Cutler did the research.

Top Bottom