1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

US forced to drop charges against two Gitmo detainees-may have to do same with all

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Samson, Jun 4, 2007.

1. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Guys, I was kidding.

2. amadeus

amadeus Bring back the Civ2 theme!

"Take no prisoners" is starting to look like a pretty good policy.

3. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

Wow I figured these guys trials were fixed. Can't believe they can get proven innocent.

4. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

They were in no way proven innocent, since they didn't even go to trial.
    All this means is that one person who is important in the US military legal system has pointed out a loophole (albeit a critical one)

5. LordRahl

LordRahl The Objectivist

Right - a lot of women and children in the Twin Towers were suspected of killing Muslim soldiers... :rolleyes:

6. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

This is a duplicate thread of this one: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=225795

And again, this part:

Tells me that this isnt really a big deal.

7. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

I can't believe the administration screwed this simple matter up - I thought they were at least competent enough to properly handle the prosecution of suspected terrorists - but I guess I gave them too much benefit of the doubt. I wonder if they are regretting cutting off appeals rights since now it is more difficult for the U.S. to appeal this decision. Any recharging is going to be riddled with difficulties for the government.

8. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

9. AVN

AVN Deity

Maybe you can elaborate on this. But I thought that once a judge/jury had decided that a person wasn't guilty, that he couldn't be prosecuted anymore for the same "claimed" offences.

And doesn't this mean that the two should be left out of prison now ?

10. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Well, if he was right it looks like even the rats are leaving the boat now. :D

11. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

You are thinking of 'double jeopardy' which prevents people from getting tried twice for the same crime and I believe that refers to trials that have been completed (resulting in either acquittal or conviction), and not by simply having a case dismissed or a mistrial.

12. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

Well they pay income taxes, portions of which end up in the hands of the military. And lets not forget who does like to kill Muslim soldiers . . . Israel! And where do they get their equipment? Amerikkka! You = Terrorist! :crazyeye:

Seriously though, this is good news. I have sincere doubts that everyone in there in a terrorist, and holding them is only making a mockery of everything the US once claimed to stand for.

13. Commodore

Commodore Deity

So what? Are you trying to call this judge's integrity into question because happens to be friends with someone in the Pentagon? Did you ever think that maybe because they were friends, that Altenburg knew Brownback would be the right guy for the job?

It just seems to me like you are trying to cast doubt on the man because he is actually giving the detainees a real chance to prove their innocence.