US Midterms - Predictions and Aftereffects

It's not looking good for poor Ted Strickland. :sad:

Looks like he is done for unless there is a really big surprise in these last few areas. I'm not sure what still needs counting.

Don't want to sound like a fool... but, huh?

Some spending on entitlements is determined by who meets the eligibility requirements. More unemployment means more people meet the requirements, hence more automatic spending. At the same time, high unemployment means less tax revenue.

Short version, a plan that will produce one outcome under certain economic conditions will not produce the same outcome under very different conditions.

I also have noticed that Oklahoma has outlawed Sharia Law (Question 755). Paranoid, much?

Oh wow, now that's funny. Actually, I'm surprised that it was Oklahoma before Missouri.

I also have noticed that Oklahoma has outlawed Sharia Law (Question 755). Paranoid, much?

Half-wondering if that's unconstitutional

Some spending on entitlements is determined by who meets the eligibility requirements. More unemployment means more people meet the requirements, hence more automatic spending. At the same time, high unemployment means less tax revenue.

Short version, a plan that will produce one outcome under certain economic conditions will not produce the same outcome under very different conditions.

And entitlements can't be defunded by obstruction... gotcha.

Screw google, I got Cutlass! :)

Patty Murray is winning right now, although narrowly.

It isn't as extreme here obviously, and the Republicans are simply not the Nazi's or anywhere near that, however, if you really think about it you can see some startling similarities. Economic turmoil(not as bad as it was then, but still bad) and a populist party with a fuzy agenda that was many things to many people with some extreme goals that few expected to be pulled off if they got into power combined with an electorate sick of the establishment.
It's not the same kind of economic turmoil, though, and the NSDAP was actually organized, unlike the TPM. Plus, there are so many other situational aspects - DNVP and the KPD for instance, neither one of which has any remote analog in the American experience - that the whole thing breaks down rather quickly and doesn't really tell you much about either situation.

That Oklahoma Sharia Law thing is kind of messed up. What if two contracting parties agree to use Sharia Law or international law to govern the contract? American law generally recognizes that contractual right. What is an Oklahoma court to do? Ignore the desires of contacting parties?

What about Oklahoma oil deals that rely on Sharia financing rules to bring in investers?

Yeah, I would've thought so, actually.

Text of the measure.

It's also about international law, and bans the use of that by courts. That seems more than a little odd...

Gotcha, it is a bill that really does nothing but makes the politicians look really good for supporting it.

I'm sorry, but the fact that Barney Frank easily retained his seat makes me lol inside.

It's not the same kind of economic turmoil, though, and the NSDAP was actually organized, unlike the TPM. Plus, there are so many other situational aspects - DNVP and the KPD for instance, neither one of which has any remote analog in the American experience - that the whole thing breaks down rather quickly and doesn't really tell you much about either situation.

...buzzkill. :(

It isn't as extreme here obviously, and the Republicans are simply not the Nazi's or anywhere near that, however, if you really think about it you can see some startling similarities. Economic turmoil(not as bad as it was then, but still bad) and a populist party with a fuzy agenda that was many things to many people with some extreme goals that few expected to be pulled off if they got into power combined with an electorate sick of the establishment.

I think you have kind of turmoill in every kind of a western country. Let's be honest: this system is to be headed south - rightfully by the way...

I would never claim the Republicans to be like the Nazis, as the Nazis are unique in an evil way, it was just a response to the previous post. However, I won't ever understand a republican vote. But I have to admit that I'm not American. The issuess the world think about you is highly different from internal problems.

I may add, that I am an atheist. I am influeced by highly disturbing pictures like "God hates Obama" which surely doesn't tell the whole story. However, in approximately ten years of following north-american politics, I've never found any reason to suppurt the Republicans...

Maybe someone in this forum can give me any, even if I believe that most of these users are democratic (in terms of the political system of the USA)

Holy Mary and Joseph. I am truly and honestly shocked that Ike Skelton lost to Vicky Hartzler in Missouri's 4th district race.

That Oklahoma Sharia Law thing is kind of messed up. What if two contracting parties agree to use Sharia Law or international law to govern the contract? American law generally recognizes that contractual right. What is an Oklahoma court to do? Ignore the desires of contacting parties?

What about Oklahoma oil deals that rely on Sharia financing rules to bring in investers?

It means that if there is a lawsuit, sharia laws would be consider in context of a contract. In other words if any Sharia laws conflict with OK laws then OK laws triumphs. Of course this was in fact the case before hand too. Talk about a waste of a law.

Whoah, Chaffee wins in Rhode Island gubernatorial!

Yeah, I would've thought so, actually.

Text of the measure.

It's also about international law, and bans the use of that by courts. That seems more than a little odd...

How very odd. I wonder if this will effect American courts pulling common law precedents from, for lack of a better words, Britain and her White Dominions.

Top Bottom