US Missile Strikes in Pakistan

Attacking Pakistan, isnt this a bit dangerous.The next suicide plane could be filled not with ppl, but with a nuclear device. Besides, what about teaching Iran. Or is this all already on the List.

Now...

I understand that Obama said that if he had actionable intelligence in Paaahhh-KEE-Staaahhhn that he would act on it militarily if the government wasn't going to.

But...

What happened to the dialogue part? Does anyone seriously believe that Obama talked with anybody in Pakistan about anything yet? Wasn't this an end of the Bush doctrine where war and killing stuff was only a last resort action to take? Didn't Obama castigate Bush and McCain for doing . .. .. .. . like this?

I mean, quite frankly, I don't care. You kill scum when you get the chance. Good on'em. But . .. .. .. .. This guy has gone back on just about every campaign promise he made in the run up to the election. It's just charming to see all the apologists out there making excuses for it all.

Only a fool would expect anything different.

Government is the Giant Douche or Turd Sandwich scenario, except in this case the Giant Douche comes in a different colour.
:goodjob: excellent post
Besides, what about teaching Iran. Or is this all already on the List.
I think the current approach is appeasing Iran.

Attacking Pakistan, isnt this a bit dangerous.The next suicide plane could be filled not with ppl, but with a nuclear device. Besides, what about teaching Iran. Or is this all already on the List.

Pakistan is probably more complicated than that. The militant crazies are mostly on the border with Afghanistan and not totally under Pakistan control. The hegemony of Pakistan owns the nukes and is still pro-western.

This isnt a surprise. Obama was for attacking Al-Qaeda and the taliban in Pakistan.

Or am I the only person that wasnt distracted by "hope and change" and heard this?

This isnt a surprise. Obama was for attacking Al-Qaeda and the taliban in Pakistan.

Or am I the only person that wasnt distracted by "hope and change" and heard this?

I guess you didn't read my post? Apparently all my points are null and void? Or maybe you were distracted by the nuances in his "I will attack al Queda and the Taliban in Paaahhh-KEE-Staaahhhn".

I dunno, maybe you missed the "military force as a last resort" because you were distracted by the "hope and change."

I guess you didn't read my post? Apparently all my points are null and void? Or maybe you were distracted by the nuances in his "I will attack al Queda and the Taliban in Paaahhh-KEE-Staaahhhn".

I dunno, maybe you missed the "military force as a last resort" because you were distracted by the "hope and change."

I didnt vote for him. Whatever you feel you have to say to justify voting for him is ok, I will not judge.

This strike took out bad guys, a statement that came directly from the Pakistani Security forces.

It's find by me. Go Obama.

Now...

I understand that Obama said that if he had actionable intelligence in Paaahhh-KEE-Staaahhhn that he would act on it militarily if the government wasn't going to.

But...

What happened to the dialogue part? Does anyone seriously believe that Obama talked with anybody in Pakistan about anything yet? Wasn't this an end of the Bush doctrine where war and killing stuff was only a last resort action to take? Didn't Obama castigate Bush and McCain for doing . .. .. .. . like this?

I mean, quite frankly, I don't care. You kill scum when you get the chance. Good on'em. But . .. .. .. .. This guy has gone back on just about every campaign promise he made in the run up to the election. It's just charming to see all the apologists out there making excuses for it all.

Perhaps we saw different campaigns then. :)

McCain said that he'd respect nations borders and wouldn't invade anyone without just cause.

Obama said he'd be willing to put ground troops in Pakistan: 'Al-Queda attacked us, the Taliban is there' and he was going after them. He said this as early as Aug. '07. Nothing new here.

I doubt that Osama knew about it beforehand.

I suspect that the US military has just decided to
carry on as before until it is told to do otherwise.

Since when is making fun of the way politicians talk not "acting ones age?"

Other than the fact that it's the correct way of pronouncing Pakistan, since you failed comedy.

Other than the fact that it's the correct way of pronouncing Pakistan, since you failed comedy.

I know lots of Pakistani people. My doctor being one of them. And I don't recall any of them ever saying it like Obama does.

I know lots of Pakistani people. My doctor being one of them. And I don't recall any of them ever saying it like Obama does.

You probably don't know lots of Pakistani people, then. Either that, or they don't have Urdu as a native tongue. Not suprising considering the linguistic diversity of Pakistan. But once again, you do prove that your anecdotes are worthless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkAEkA81TUA

Outside of the aspirated p in Obama's pronunciation (not suprising for an English speaker) the vowels and consonants are the same; /pɑk.ɪ.stɑn/ as opposed to American English /pæk.ɪ.stæn/. The pronunciation that you are mocking, /pɑk.i:.stɑn/, is not how Obama pronounces it. Hell, I specifically remember this because Conservapedia said that Obama pronounced Pakistan in the "muslim" way as proof that he was a muslim. :lol:

I wonder if this means the Iraqis in your neighborhood pronouce their country EYE-rack so you can understand them.

Read the [bloody] thread before you [bloody well] post.

You probably don't know lots of Pakistani people, then. Either that, or they don't have Urdu as a native tongue. Not suprising considering the linguistic diversity of Pakistan. But once again, you do prove that your anecdotes are worthless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkAEkA81TUA

Outside of the aspirated p in Obama's pronunciation (not suprising for an English speaker) the vowels and consonants are the same; /pɑk.ɪ.stɑn/ as opposed to American English /pæk.ɪ.stæn/. The pronunciation that you are mocking, /pɑk.i:.stɑn/, is not how Obama pronounces it. Hell, I specifically remember this because Conservapedia said that Obama pronounced Pakistan in the "muslim" way as proof that he was a muslim. :lol:

Actually, all the Pakistani's I know have Urdu as a first language. I was learning Arabic from a Pakistani girl who spoke Urdu as a first language. Hindi coincidentally is almost exactly like Urdu as well, and I've never heard an Indian person pronounce it as Obama does it either. I mean, it's fine that Obama tries too hard, but it still doesn't sound right, it's still mildly amusing, and its still pointless.

Is he going to start refering to Texas as Tejas? Will he talk about our trade deals with Mejico? When he speaks of Paris or other French locations will he drop the last consanant? When he speaks of Bahrain will he emphasize the H? Does it really matter? Or is he merely trying to make himself look worldly? I dunno, but it sure is amusing when he puts too much emphasis on just about every element of the word Paaah-KEE-staaaahhhnn when he says it.

I wonder if this means the Iraqis in your neighborhood pronouce their country EYE-rack so you can understand them.

I know a few thousand words in Arabic and speak near fluent Somali. I have no problem pronouncing Arabic words thank you very much. I know a few Iraqi girls, but they're all fully Americanized Assyrians, and I'd probably end up teaching them how to accurately pronounce Iraq.

Nice try though. I like the way you're thinking.

So you wouldn't laugh at Obama for correctly pronouncing Iraq or nuclear, but you do when he correctly pronounces Pakistan instead of anglicizing it as you apparently do? How odd, especially with all your high-level academic training in languages. Was that from your days at the Sorbonne learning about Arabic and Pakistani culture while getting your PhD in languages? Or some other time, perhaps?

Top Bottom