US troops in Phillipines!

Ohwell

Deity
I heard on the news that US troops are in Manila training Phillipine soldiers how to combat terrorism.

This means Phillipines are next on list in Terrorism campaign.

What do you have to say?

Originally posted by Mikoyan
I can't really think of anything else to say than *sigh!* or maybe even 'Good Grief' or 'Well, I never!'
:sad: :cringe:

Sadly, no websites have anything on it yet, I think it is new news(?). I was searching everywhere for a link but no lengthy stories yet.

Originally posted by Ohwell
What else was I supposed to name it?

Well it sounds like they're going to invade or something, the way you phrased it! lol.

You could have called it 'Extension of The war on terror.' or 'US training Phillipino troops.'

When I first saw the thread I thought "Oh jeez!" for a few secs until I took it in fully.

An Australian spy UAV washed up in the Southern Phillipines last week. The Australian government claims that the UAV crashed late last year on a meterological research mission. ;)

That is ironic. About 2 months ago the president of the Philipines (whose name I shamefully don't know) was in the United States and Dubya offered help with the guerillas and she turned it down...

And then this... Bad move doing it so publicly. If all they needed was training they could have come to the half a dozen foreigner training bases on U.S. soil.

"UAV washes up in the Phillipines"

The Australian government routinely gathers intelligence from the countries to our north- - so I'm not sure we can read much into that.

Well it got the Phillipines army ut of inertia anyway. After months of nothing done, a few days after it was anounced that some advisor/trainers were already there, whammo 16 pirates dead and some captured. A little bit of training like "pointy end of the weapon goes toward the enemy" goes a long way.

This means Phillipines are next on list in Terrorism campaign.

Not neccessarily. It's obviously A target, but not that it is THE next target. Since they are "multi-tasking" their campaign, training the Philipinos in counter-terrorism could mean little more than that.

It is basically old news now, with some Special Forces, and probably some field officers from Christians In Action, training Phillipine Army troops, and perhaps even operating with them on a limited basis against Abu Sayyef in the field. I wouldn't call the Phillipines the next "target", as this implies that the government and whole nation is a target.

I can see some things happening in Iraq around May or June. Not another Desert Storm, but something all the same.

I agree that Philippines is not the next target, as was pointed out.

The reasons are, that since Al Qaedya(sp?) and Abu Sayyef(sp?) are linked, but the threat doesnt seem to be as high in comparison to the other 3 nations named. North Korea, Iran, Iraq. It is more of a side show.

It would be a long time to get the troops and equipment to the Philippines. Yes they have bases in Diego Garcia, Hawaii, Japan and Taiwan.

They still have to search Afganistan.

I really hope that Iraq is not the next target. For all that guy has done (S.H), he is a stabilising force within that area.
He has kept the Shi'ites, Kurds, and any opposing forces in check, and if they do get him, three words.... A Greater Iran. Also he has the ear of many Arab Nations and influential in the Arab League.

Originally posted by Ryan

I really hope that Iraq is not the next target. For all that guy has done (S.H), he is a stabilising force within that area.
He has kept the Shi'ites, Kurds, and any opposing forces in check, and if they do get him, three words.... A Greater Iran. Also he has the ear of many Arab Nations and influential in the Arab League.

I disagree with this. If SH is removed Iran can be kept from taking over by diplomatic pressure. At least they can if they are as moderate as most people on here believe. otherwise they will reveal themselves, and keeping them from taking territory shouldn't be too hard.

I may come across as a bleeding heart liberal here (bet some people get a kick out of that ;) ) but there has to be a better way to keep regional stability than letting SH gas the people in Iraq he doesn't like. The guy needs removed based upon his own record, even if (Big IF) he had no connection with 9/11.

Originally posted by Knowltok
I may come across as a bleeding heart liberal here (bet some people get a kick out of that ;) ) but there has to be a better way to keep regional stability than letting SH gas the people in Iraq he doesn't like. The guy needs removed based upon his own record, even if (Big IF) he had no connection with 9/11.
But, but, you're forgetting, all morals are relative!! Its part of their CULTURE to use nerve gas on people they don't like!!! Its people with heavy western baises towards not slaughtering masses of refugees with chemical weapons that CAUSES these cultural misunderstandings!!! You should be ashamed of yourself.

Originally posted by Greadius
But, but, you're forgetting, all morals are relative!! Its part of their CULTURE to use nerve gas on people they don't like!!! Its people with heavy western baises towards not slaughtering masses of refugees with chemical weapons that CAUSES these cultural misunderstandings!!! You should be ashamed of yourself.

Hehehe, methinks you need a smilee or two.;) Good one.:goodjob:

Top Bottom