US Vice Presidential Debate: Who won?

Who won this one?

• I'm Republican, and I think Cheney won.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I'm Democrat, and I think Edwards won.

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • I'm Republican, and I think Edwards won.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I'm Democrat, and I think Cheney won.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I'm neither, and I think Cheney won.

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • I'm neither, and I think Edwards won.

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • I'm not American or able to vote, but Cheney won.

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • I'm not American or able to vote, but Edwards won.

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • I'm undecided.

Votes: 19 19.4%

• Total voters

CivCube

Spicy.
At the end, I don't know. Edwards looked a tad weaker, but what do you think?

Cheney won, big. Edwards looked weak, insecure, unsure of himself. He looked and acted like a child next to Cheney. I think he was actually scared Cheney would beat him up, steal his lunch money, and give him a wedgie.:)

Edwards won, but not by a large margin (certainly less than that of Kerry against Bush on Thursday). Cheney was coherent, unlike Bush, but his lack of comment during the question on gay marriage broke any momentum he had going for him. Furthermore, Edwards presented the issues energetically and provided good facts against Cheney's arguments. Finally, Edwards presented himself a lot better than Cheney did. The Vice President definitely didn't present himself the way George Bush did and debated well, but his sort of grumbling, low tone was less appealing (though far from his mad dog image).

Much as I hate to say it, but Cheney won. He's just much more effective at being nasty than Edwards is, plus Edwards made the same mistake Bush made last week: repeating a few catchphrases too often. Also, but I guess that comes with the territory, he mentioned Kerry too often. That just made him look like someone who's not a strong politician in his own right.

On the other hand, Edwards was far more substantive on domestic policy and his closing statement was, IMHO, more effective, but overall, Cheney wins hands down.

Cheney was slightly better.

I agree with Yom. As far as being a "good debater," Cheney won, but Edwards won the debate. Why? Because the debate is much more how you look to the viewer than how well you debate. Edwards looked like he came off better in nearly every exchange whether he actually did or not. That makes the public feel that Edwards won regardless of the results of the debate.

It's sad that this is what's important in a debate, but it's also true.

EDIT -- I just read through that and realized that it sounds completely incoherent. I hope someone understood what I was trying to say...

After that debate, Cheney should be the President, not Bush.

As to the debate, on the content, I call it a tie and thus a Cheney win since a tie hurts the momentum that Kerry had. On composure, Cheney hands down.

Yom said:
Cheney was coherent, unlike Bush, but his lack of comment during the question on gay marriage broke any momentum he had going for him.
Cheney couldn't answer, because of his daughter on one side and the president on the other. Edwards didn't really answer either. Since they agreed with each other, it was a lame question. I thought they were going to have a group hug after they were finished with that one, Cheney with a little tear in his eye when he thanked Edwards...
Cuivienen said:
Edwards looked like he came off better in nearly every exchange whether he actually did or not.
Like Kennedy vs. Nixon? I don't think Edwards is as appealing as Kennedy, nor Cheney as repulsive as Nixon. I can see your point, but (unfortunately) don't think it will be seen that way by many.

Sanaz said:
Like Kennedy vs. Nixon? I don't think Edwards is as appealing as Kennedy, nor Cheney as repulsive as Nixon. I can see your point, but (unfortunately) don't think it will be seen that way by many.

Never (mis)underestimate the power of the sheeple.

Cheney may be very corrupt, but he's no fool when it comes to politics (actually the two go hand in hand) ... I think he did alright in the debate, though i think there were some distractions prior to debate (Bremer and Rumsfeld) and that the whitehouse is under pressure right now...

rmsharpe said:
Cheney blasted that ambulance chaser out of the water.

In what way? I didn't see any clear home run by Edwards, but I sure as hell didn't see Cheney blast one out of the park. It was a pretty even debate, but Edwards' demeanor and style won it for him in the end.

Yom said:
In what way? I didn't see any clear home run by Edwards, but I sure as hell didn't see Cheney blast one out of the park. It was a pretty even debate, but Edwards' demeanor and style won it for him in the end.
The point for Cheney wasn't to debate against Edwards, because nobody votes for Vice Presidents. This was the opportunity for Cheney to slam Kerry and endorse the President, and that's exactly what he did.

Cheney will provide more steam for the Bush campaign and effectively siphoned the gas out of the Kerrymobile.

I think it only looked like Cheney won because he did so much better than Bush did. I didn't like how Edwards avoided answering some of the questions and kept referring back to previous questions, but I thought it was better than the outward lie that Cheney made. For example about the gay marriage ban; how can he claim that him and the President is for equal rights when they drafted the constitutional ban. But this debate was a lot better and a lot more vicious than the 1st Presidential debate.

Top Bottom