USian Mid-term elections - Here we go again!

The trend right now seems to be that the Republican candidates that were endorsed by Trump, didn't get the election results they hoped for, while Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis seems to be the winner on the Republican side.

If this comes to pass, I have no doubt that Trump will be one of the first to place blame *somewhere*, or claim that his endorsed candidates would have gotten an even worse election result, had he not endorsed them. There's also the Trump Classic, which is to claim that the election was stolen, without presenting a shred of data or evidence to back up the claim.

I don't understand how in a country as USA can candidates even suggest elections are rigged. That seems proper of third worldish countries or at least developing countries as Brazil.

The electoral system should be consistent enough to such claims be ridiculous, and any candidate doing such claims without immediately showing solid proof should be judged and jailed for cup attempt.

I don't understand how in a country as USA can candidates even suggest elections are rigged. That seems proper of third worldish countries or at least developing countries as Brazil.

The electoral system should be consistent enough to such claims be ridiculous, and any candidate doing such claims without immediately showing solid proof should be judged and jailed for cup attempt.
There's very significant voter suppression, a lot of gerrymandering, and disenfranchisement is treated as a legitimate tactic (that's the running court battles about postal, early and absent ballot rules and conditions, electoral rolls, etc) but virtually all of that works against poorer, less white, more urban voters. What the Trump people claim about fraudulent results and fake votes and stuff is a fantasy.

And locally (for me) Sen. Hassan (D) has beaten Gen. Bolduc (T) and thank goodness for that. Aside from the US Senate control implications I really did not want to be seeing Bolduc on my local news all the time.

The (T) is for 'Trumpist' - I've started using that to differentiate between the Republican camps, as our state governor (Sununu - R) is definitely not a Trumpist and just won his re-election by 15 points.

And, wow - in NH both US Reps (both Democrats) won re-election as well, by 8-10pts. Hassan's and Pappas' races were locally considered tossups, and both cleared 8pt margins, for Pappas that's also despite recent NH GOP gerrymandering (which Sununu mitigated somewhat).

In Wisconsin, governor remains Democrat.

(T) (Trumper or Tin foil hatter?) Ron Johnson holds on by 1% over Barnes, a black man.

My congessional district flips, Kind, a Democrat, retired after 26 years, so with no incumbent advantage, it goes right. Previously, the area was kind of an outlier with my area voting for a democrat, as we aren't Madison or Milwaukee.

All the abortion measures on the ballot came out pro-choice:

Constitutional bans on abortion failed in MT and KY
Constitutional amendments guaranteeing a right to abortion passed in VT, MI, and CA.

Medicaid expansion in SD, $15 minimum wage passed in NE

First gay and lesbian governors in CO and MA

A bunch of local and school board candidates across the country who ran on anti-wokism and anti-trans platforms got rinsed lol

Looks like the zoomers, and to a lesser extent the millennials, saved the Dems bacon. 18-30 is like D+38 this election. 30-40 is D+2. Every other age bracket swung R.
Healey is the first woman and the first openly-gay person ever elected Massachusetts governor. Andrea Campbell is the first Black woman elected state Attorney General. The new Lt. Gov is also a woman, so 3 top state offices are held by women (Bill Galvin was reelected Secretary of the Commonwealth for, like, the 100th time). You could say 4, if you wanted to include Mayor of Boston as an important office in the state, if not a state office. The newly-elected Treasurer and Auditor are also both women, although I'm not even sure what those offices do, other than what we can infer from the titles. Women are still underrepresented in elected offices across the state - mayors, sheriffs, district attorneys, state legislature, etc. - but at least at the top, there's suddenly an abundance of women. I think there's only one state right now that has a legislature that's a majority women - Nevada, maybe?

The media won’t ever say it because they’re heavily vested in GOP victories, but it’s very clear that the Republican Party - which has spent months screaming about woke Marxism and banning abortion - is out of touch with Real Americans. Perhaps GOP voters and politicians will spend more time in urban Paneras or Chipotles, to see what people there are saying about crime and the economy.

The media won’t ever say it because they’re heavily vested in GOP victories, but it’s very clear that the Republican Party - which has spent months screaming about woke Marxism and banning abortion - is out of touch with Real Americans. Perhaps GOP voters and politicians will spend more time in urban Paneras or Chipotles, to see what people there are saying about crime and the economy.

Time for a round of Media Safaris to talk with purple-haired women about feminist theory

Yes, I'm just posting how close it is, not celebrating who's in the lead.

Yes, I know, I'm posting that I don't like who's in the lead, not disagreeing with you. Though 143 votes ain't a lot. Would that be close enough to trigger a recount or runoff or some such?

Yes, I know, I'm posting that I don't like who's in the lead, not disagreeing with you. Though 143 votes ain't a lot. Would that be close enough to trigger a recount or runoff or some such?
No automatic recounts here. Loser may request a recount if losing by less than 1%, which obviously clears that since it's 0.1% (or less?) as of right now. If it's less than 0.25% the loser doesn't have to pay a fee for the recount. (if recount reverses the results, no fee is charged)

Michigan 3rd district which has a +1 Dem rating, but was previously Republican, flipped to Democrats. Apparently ousting moderate republican incumbent peter meijer, and replacing him with a hard right Maga election denier is not a good strategy to winning a competitive district, who knew!?

Also keep an eye on Lauren Boeberts district. It is rated +15 Republican lean, but it looks like she has a real fight on her hands to hold on. If she gets beaten, oh boy...

Top Bottom