USian Mid-term elections - Here we go again!

Given their preemptive attempts at discrediting the election, I expect their internal polling indicates a serious defeat. But it doesn't take losing many seats for losing control over the legislature does it?

It seems like a defeat, but perhaps not so serious. House looks ugly but a lot of the statewide races seem to be going a bit more Dem than expected.

Horray for another deadlock!

Midnight EST.
MSNBC is projecting the GOP will win the house 219 to 216 with a margin or error or =/- 13. The CA districts will be critical and they are slow to count. It will take a few days.

Senate: still tied with a few seats to go. PA looking critical; GA too close to call; AZ close; NV no numbers yet.

Ooh! A bright spot! @innonimatu predicted a serious defeat! He's always wrong about everything!

A bright you say? I took you for a "democrat". If so, then ashortsighted one. Because in a party system stuck in rotation between two permanent parties its good strategy to have an excuse for bad government when a load of crap is about to hit. The democrats will be lucky if they do indeed lose. If they will there will be no excuses possible in 2024.

Just now, Dems picked up PA Senate seat. So they are at +1.

All the abortion measures on the ballot came out pro-choice:

Constitutional bans on abortion failed in MT and KY
Constitutional amendments guaranteeing a right to abortion passed in VT, MI, and CA.

Medicaid expansion in SD, $15 minimum wage passed in NE

First gay and lesbian governors in CO and MA

A bunch of local and school board candidates across the country who ran on anti-wokism and anti-trans platforms got rinsed lol

Looks like the zoomers, and to a lesser extent the millennials, saved the Dems bacon. 18-30 is like D+38 this election. 30-40 is D+2. Every other age bracket swung R.

Last edited:
Fetterman delivering his winning speech now. That's a big win.
Looks like the zoomers, and to a lesser extent the millennials, saved the Dems bacon. 18-30 is like D+38 this election. 30-40 is D+2. Every other age bracket swung R.
I am disappointed in us Gen X-ers. I'd like to see some polling data, once it becomes available. Like, if we, as a bloc, just didn't vote, that's not optimal, but... is also kinda our thing. Not caring? I get. I can accept that - it's what we're known for - but if we voted R? I would be disappoint.

Last edited:
Just had a short look at the results this morning.
It does seem that for the temporary results, R actually lost a seat ?

Reporters here say it's too early/close to call - the "Midterms" are in fact a multitude of local elections it seems,

and the results are a bit all over the place...as might be expected.

Second rounds are expected in some states, as are legal procedures, recounts etc.

Midnight EST.
MSNBC is projecting the GOP will win the house 219 to 216 with a margin or error or =/- 13. The CA districts will be critical and they are slow to count. It will take a few days.

Senate: still tied with a few seats to go. PA looking critical; GA too close to call; AZ close; NV no numbers yet.

How many Republican Mavericks are there in the House, will that tight majority keep the „witch hunts“ in check and allow for some legislation to pass. Or does the gate keeping function of the speaker of the house just shut down any non-republican agenda setting at all? Will get interesting in the coming days.

Just had a short look at the results this morning.
It does seem that for the temporary results, R actually lost a seat ?

In the senate, Pennsylvania, is only declared 'flip' so far. A few other really close ones (Georgia, Nevada and less so WI), but incumbent leads in all of them, however small those leads may be. Some other races in senate did not have an incumbent, so would have to look those up to see which sides needs to win to be declared a 'flip'.

In the house, much more flips (harder to see on maps because some districts so small), but even Fox is saying "This is no red wave".

It seems to me that the Democrats are significantly helped by the supreme court decision revoking Ross v Wade.

Top Bottom